Conversations from the gaming frontlines.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Re: Conversations from the gaming frontlines.

Post by InsaneTD »

Players be cray cray?
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Moderately, yes. Particularly the guy playing the paladin, who apparently wanted to play a barbarian but the DM persuaded him not to (I'm not sure why) so is now playing what I call a "barbaladin": A paladin who acts like a stereotypical barbarian... one who used WIS as his dump stat, as well. Fortunately for all of us, his player roleplays this well enough that the trouble he inevitably ends up causing as a result is funny rather than annoying.

Besides, who am I to judge? My character is a Neutral Good dwarven rogue with a drink problem -which I have been known to roleplay by knocking back a couple of stiff ones OOC as well- and a detailed backstory that involves growing up in Boatmurdered.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

You don't do tragic back stories by half do you? :P
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I guess not. Oh, and I got the DM to actually read Boatmurdered, guaranteeing maximum Fun because we're doing Curse of Strahd.

Speaking of which...

The DM (IC as a Vistani fortune teller): "Your enemy is a creature of darkness, whose powers are beyond mortality. This card will lead you to him!" OOC: "Card was the raven and means: Look to the mother’s tomb."

My character: "Does this mean we can defeat Strahd by... threatening to tell his mum?"
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Ghetto Edit: Armok help me, the DM wants to do a dungeon crawl of Boatmurdered itself next!

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Me: "Oh God, I'm that guy."
Kyle: "What guy?"
Me: "Remember 'that guy' in an MMO who had something like Corrupted Asbringer, or some mount no one can get anymore? His symbol that you are trash, and he's old school?"
Kyle: "Oh yea, THAT guy."
Me: "Turns out all my Rakata gear and my Lightsabers from NM mode? They no longer drop in the game. I linked The Indomitable in chat when they were talking about old school raiding."
Me: "And some guy said '^ he's legit.' and I died a little inside."
Kyle: "You're like the worst kind of gamer. I'll bet your were actually super-pleased with yourself."
Me: "...... maybe a little. You still got your gear, right?"
Kyle: "Of course!"
Me: "HA! You're THAT GUY TOO!"
Kyle "Fuck."
Me: "AND SO WAS ROB! We should totally log him in and just have him stand around fleet."
Kyle: "I miss Rob."
Me: Fuck... me too. God damn we carried his ass hard didn't we?"
Kyle: "Not as much as your gimped as Guardian."
Me: "oh har fucking har Mr. Want to buy heals.... fucking Vanguard tank EZMODE bullshit."
Kyle: Let it go man."
Me: "YOU LET IT GO!"

Edit: Kyle was one of our heals and I was MT. We pugged a worse-geared Vanguard OT one night and Kyle kept telling me in our private TS3 server how easy he was to heal and that I should just sit back and stretch. The Vanguard was spamming 3 buttons, maybe a CD on big add pulls, and that was it. 4 fucking hours of Kyle just giving me shit about it. I am still biding my time for bloody retribution. The Vanguard also generated metric shittos more threat than I did.

No, I actually didn't suck, this was a huge complaint for Guardians at launch. Shadows had better damage and threat, but also wilted quickly once their CDs ran out. Guardians were a bit tougher here.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

lol, I actually still have an item like that- a Mk X mission reward in STO, back when XII was the highest available. Since it was expanded to XIV a few years back, lowest you can get it is XII :mrgreen:
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I don't even recall what drops/dropped out of the first two Borg "raids" or operations, whatever they were called. This would have been before F2P and even before the Galaxy X hit the game. I DO remember that Rob was so unbelievably bad at jumping puzzles (no matter the game, while good at Mario type games, he couldn't handle 3D platformers.), he'd fall into the lower part of the room during the Borg Queen fight constantly and I'd have to spam heals on him so he didn't die from the fire. All while ruthlessly mocking him in Teamspeak with shit like "Cmon man, you can make it. Hop, HOP FOR YOUR LIIIIIIIIFE!" "NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!" Man those jumping animations were hilarious.

If (really, when) he did it again, I'd hit the play button on my TS Music bot and play:

But I'd always have it pre-set to the YOU'RE THE BEST AROUND!

Motherfucker, I REALLY miss gaming with Rob.

I also remember Kyle as Tactical forgoing any defensive to focus on DPS and ripping aggro on the Billy Badass Borg Drone fight and getting WTFPWNED at least once per run. Sometimes I just wouldn't heal him and say "If I heal you, you won't learn nothin'."

I know I got the best healing kit in the game from those raids. But healing in that game was bullshit easy mode either way.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

I was playing some minecraft (on my boy's account. Well, he's not using it), and was showing my daughter what I had--a paddock full of sheep, another paddock of cattle, there were wheat crops growing, a big stand of sugar cane, and a whole bunch of clucking chickens in a pen.

Her: So what's that over there? (Indicating something off on the horizon).
Me: Oh, there's a peasant village over there. Haven't worried about it.
Her: You should go there and steal their food!
Me: :wtf: Why?
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TheFeniX wrote: 2018-02-02 12:49pm Me: "Oh God, I'm that guy."
Me and my brother were playing STWOR the other day, creating new Jedi to have fun with. I've downgraded to FTP, can't afford it anymore, but he's still Subscribed and has all his old toys available. So, he's running around Tython with (CharName) FOUNDER over his head.

Yeah.. he's that guy (says the woman running around in Nico's longcoat and steering a ATST mount)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

K is trying to tank. I'm DPSing and being awesome.
Me: "You have Doom, run to the pad."
"You're losing aggro."
"You turned the boss into the raid and killed a healer."
"You need to pop a CD here."
"Adds are up, eating the healer."

K: "Just SHUT UP."
:K gets doom again, I say nothing. K dies:
"You died."
:K gets ressed. Gets Doom again. K dies:
:I run over to his corpse and bounce up and down while doing my Bard pew pews:
"You died again. Enjoy the view."
K: "I fucking hate you... so.. damn.. much."
Me: "Let me play you the song of my people."
:pop Foe Requiem which animates you playing a harp during the cast time:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I'm playing FinalFantasy XIV, and it's been a really fun ride for the most part.

Then I get to the Major Fight against the Warriors of Darkness, where I have to powerup an NPC's Big Magical Weapon while trying not to be killed by the Warriors of Darkness. I'm getting more and more frustrated, because I'm trying to power up the Weapon, and getting Interrupted by the WoD hitting me. I kill the one that's hitting me, try to Power up, and another starts hitting me. I kill that one, and now the damned ARCHER is plunking me from across the field.
It doesn't help that I cant' just target the NPC, I have to find a floating "Sword of Light" somewhere in front of her, that's never in the same place twice -- and I've had problems using the targeting system from the start so I've been cheating with the mouse. However, I am not able to fight off the attacker, then mouse over the "Sword of Light" before I'm getting smacked around again.
My ever-helpful Brother says simply "Kill them". To which I reply I AM KILLING THEM THEY'RE COMING BACK (because they've got the same 'restart the fight power I do', being the Warriors of Darkness to my Warrior of Light), as well as several unhelpful comments about the targeting system and "Where's the Damned SWORD?!?!?!!?!?!?!?".

Long story short, I die. A LOT. And each time I get more and more frustrated because I'm NOT ABLE TO DO THE TASK EVEN ON VERY EASY. Cue much cursing, until finally I RageQuit.

It's three days before I pick up the controller again and start it.

THIS TIME -- I say "fuck the PowerUp, I'm killing them first". And THIS TIME, when I am not focused on Powering UP, I can kill the Warriors and they stay down JUST LONG ENOUGH for me to run over, cycle through the controller's targeting, find and power up the Blade. Then, I repeat that kill them all and PowerUp... and this time it works THE FIRST TIME I DO IT.
I wanted to hit my brother, because when he said "Kill them All" I didn't realize he meant "Kill them all first".

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ah another Final Fantasy 14 fellow traveler. Hello from someone who's been enjoying the game the last few months during the last seven months meme's and all. So your right about Patch 3.4? Not yet out of Heavenward but you've seen the Vault and heard the end of the Song.

I have to say in FF14 there are mechanics that will kick your ass if you don't pay attention but normally with the Echo sooner or later you can get by. That said I do remember a few fights like the one you had LadyTevar that kicked my ass but most are further in the story which I do not want to in any way shape or form spoil. I will however call out the Red Mage 60 job quest which is on the same level of the Warriors of Darkness fight of do the mechanics or get smashed.

Even current end game content you can look back and see the FF14 is happy to let the equipment IL get high enough that was a challenge when released is much less so now. FF14 has something Minimum IL and experience the fight at base equipment levels which turns things like Cape Westwind into actual challenges

For non FF-14 players, Cape Westwind is a trial (Eight players, two healers two tanks four DPS) where you fight Rihtahtyn sas Arvina a big guy in armor. Normally if you get this trial in a duty finder everyone makes jokes because he normally dies in under 20 seconds because he was balanced so when you fight him you have level 40s-50s gear. Most people fight him in max leveled down gear which is 130 so he dies FAST.

Turn on minimum IL and your back fighting him at level 40s gear equivalent meaning you get to see the fact he spawns adds like a maniac, missiles come flying in from off screen and he slowly fills the boss area room up with fire circles your going to get hit because the missiles will make you dodge into the fire.

It's a fun fight but unless you go looking for it you won't see it.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

OH! Rihtahtyn? Big fat Imperial with a over-sized hammer?

Met him Sunday, before Omega was freed, and I think I've seen the fight you were talking about. Thankfully he's also stupid enough to hit his own men.

Right now, I'm in a jam -- I bought a bundle with Stormblood and Shadowbringers, but it's saying I've not purchased Stormblood and won't let me advance. I'm waiting for STEAM and FF Staff to get back to me on why it's not recognizing the purchase.

Guess I'll be running around doing the Heavensward quests I didn't get around to. Like Anima Weapon. Or Odin. Or Bahumet.
I'll definately be in the mood to kill something when I get home tonight.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-07-04 01:47pm OH! Rihtahtyn? Big fat Imperial with a over-sized hammer?

Met him Sunday, before Omega was freed, and I think I've seen the fight you were talking about. Thankfully he's also stupid enough to hit his own men.

Right now, I'm in a jam -- I bought a bundle with Stormblood and Shadowbringers, but it's saying I've not purchased Stormblood and won't let me advance. I'm waiting for STEAM and FF Staff to get back to me on why it's not recognizing the purchase.

Guess I'll be running around doing the Heavensward quests I didn't get around to. Like Anima Weapon. Or Odin. Or Bahumet.
Btw if you've bought FF14 thru Steam you'll have to buy all expansion thru that way (or everything thru SE if you didn't use steam to buy FF14).

Also FF14 only gets better, I'm leveling my alts current while waiting for Endlwalker (mostly my tanks and dragoon).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-07-04 01:47pm OH! Rihtahtyn? Big fat Imperial with a over-sized hammer?

Nah nah this guy
The series of missions leading up to the Praetorium, most people don't remember him because Cape Westwind ends so quickly
LadyTevar wrote: 2021-07-04 01:47pm Right now, I'm in a jam -- I bought a bundle with Stormblood and Shadowbringers, but it's saying I've not purchased Stormblood and won't let me advance. I'm waiting for STEAM and FF Staff to get back to me on why it's not recognizing the purchase.

As already noted Steam version and the Square enix story versions are different for odd business licensing reasons so make sure your not on steam and have bought the square enix bundle and vise versa.
Last edited by Mr Bean on 2021-07-04 08:40pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

double

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Well it's kind of easy to get the Roegadyn names mixed as it can be a bit hard to remember them due to all them looking like a cat walked over the keyboard, but mister namedays is Grynewaht pyr Arvina (and yeah I had to look that up).
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Lord Revan wrote: 2021-07-04 09:01pm Well it's kind of easy to get the Roegadyn names mixed as it can be a bit hard to remember them due to all them looking like a cat walked over the keyboard, but mister namedays is Grynewaht pyr Arvina (and yeah I had to look that up).
That's only Imperial Roegadyn and Sharlayan names for Roe's, in Eoreza you got solid names like Dancing Wolf, Redolent Rose and of course our babysitter Hoary Boulder. Even Doman Roe's like Gosetsu Everfall still has an easy enough name to say. At least in the First almost everyone get's easy to say names.

*Edit
Found it World Record Clear time is 55 seconds for Cape Westwind sync'd I know not even trying most people manage sub 3 minutes easy.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Early in the life of ARR, some fights were hideously overtuned. And it always irked me how there was so much "oops, gotta drop group: solo quest" shit was packed in. Coming from SWTOR, which also had TONS of overtuned single-player fights, was jarring. Mainly because, at launch, there was literally zero single-player content. The Emperor fight at the end of the Jedi-Knight questlines was BALLS. Mainly because like a lot of tanks, I got suckered into the Defense tree (I would swap to Vigilance/Def not soon after hitting max level) where you were speccing into TONS of resource mit (Guardians DID NOT need) while other specs were picking up MASSIVE upfront and sustained damage (such as the Sentinel (dual-wield) sub-class). But I was able to get 3 friends in and we cleared it like a dungeon (AND it scaled difficulty based on playercount). SHIT endgame MMO, baller Coop MMO.

I remember the constant calls for advice in South Shroud because it was the location of the 50 WHM quest. That fight was so fuckin' overtuned, it hurt. I struggled in a full set of 110 gear (because thankfully it wasn't my first 50). You were required to both heal the tree, DPS down adds, AND also knock certain mobs away using Fluid Aura. And WHM had major mana management issues back then for inexperienced healers. NOTE: Fluid Aura also no longer knocks back. WTF YoshiP?

The 50 PLD quest was also horrible. If you ate.... whatever Circle of Scorn USED to be called, (the Jump up, slam the ground, super sparkles attack) from the boss? The DoT alone would bleed out a fresh 50 in the 50iLvL stuff. And at this point, you had to BEAT the quest (IIRC) to get the chest, legs, and weapon/board.

You want to bash your skull against the wall in some older content? You gotta dive into Unreals. Shiva Unreal was a blast because Shiva EX even at release you could essentially be overgeared for it. But at Unreal? Woof. Tight DPS check (mainly cuz tons of players are shitters.) But when I run into the odd Ramuh EX or Levi EX in Mentor Roulette, if people aren't braindead: I can get them the clear because you're synced to like 130iLvL, which is overkill for those fights.
Mr Bean wrote: 2021-07-04 11:00pmThat's only Imperial Roegadyn and Sharlayan names for Roe's, in Eoreza you got solid names like Dancing Wolf, Redolent Rose and of course our babysitter Hoary Boulder. Even Doman Roe's like Gosetsu Everfall still has an easy enough name to say. At least in the First almost everyone get's easy to say names.
:shock:

Ahldskyf called because the localization team smashed their faces on the KB for Roe names. Sea Wolves got weird as fuck names.... Helldivers? Whatever, the other sub-race has way more "normal stuff" I guess you would say. It's like how all Seekers of the Sun names SHOULD be <LETTER>'<name> such as Y'Shtola, J'Molvda, M'Naago due to the 26 tribes in Eorzea they all come from, versus the Keepers of the Moon where you see all the Aliapohs and their more Standard European naming conventions, such as Khloe Aliapoh, Zhloe, and ..... Leih? The Archer girl from that class questline.

Also, you know, Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn, the Limsa faction lead. A name I didn't know how to pronounce for YEARS because the voice acting is/was so rare. Gosetsu himself is a bad example because he's a type of Roe sub-race we've never seen. He has heavy Highlander Male elements and (because he's an NPC): facial selection and texture options the player doesn't get. IIRC there was a dev panel where they said he's from a third sub-race of Roe.

So, to keep this on topic, I just realized a certain gooey, nasty boss in a certain Alliance raid that I've downed like..... 100 times, has a secret:
Me: "That's a Butt."
Guildy: "What's a butt?"
"THAT FOOT IS A BUTT!"
"WHAT FOOT IS A BUTT!?"
"THE BOSSES FOOT IS A BUTT!"
"What? Noooo...... OMG, that's a butt!"
"I KNOW! CAN'T UNSEE"
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

TheFeniX wrote: 2021-07-05 03:09am Early in the life of ARR, some fights were hideously overtuned. And it always irked me how there was so much "oops, gotta drop group: solo quest" shit was packed in. Coming from SWTOR, which also had TONS of overtuned single-player fights, was jarring. Mainly because, at launch, there was literally zero single-player content. The Emperor fight at the end of the Jedi-Knight questlines was BALLS. Mainly because like a lot of tanks, I got suckered into the Defense tree (I would swap to Vigilance/Def not soon after hitting max level) where you were speccing into TONS of resource mit (Guardians DID NOT need) while other specs were picking up MASSIVE upfront and sustained damage (such as the Sentinel (dual-wield) sub-class). But I was able to get 3 friends in and we cleared it like a dungeon (AND it scaled difficulty based on playercount). SHIT endgame MMO, baller Coop MMO.

I remember the constant calls for advice in South Shroud because it was the location of the 50 WHM quest. That fight was so fuckin' overtuned, it hurt. I struggled in a full set of 110 gear (because thankfully it wasn't my first 50). You were required to both heal the tree, DPS down adds, AND also knock certain mobs away using Fluid Aura. And WHM had major mana management issues back then for inexperienced healers. NOTE: Fluid Aura also no longer knocks back. WTF YoshiP?

The 50 PLD quest was also horrible. If you ate.... whatever Circle of Scorn USED to be called, (the Jump up, slam the ground, super sparkles attack) from the boss? The DoT alone would bleed out a fresh 50 in the 50iLvL stuff. And at this point, you had to BEAT the quest (IIRC) to get the chest, legs, and weapon/board.

You want to bash your skull against the wall in some older content? You gotta dive into Unreals. Shiva Unreal was a blast because Shiva EX even at release you could essentially be overgeared for it. But at Unreal? Woof. Tight DPS check (mainly cuz tons of players are shitters.) But when I run into the odd Ramuh EX or Levi EX in Mentor Roulette, if people aren't braindead: I can get them the clear because you're synced to like 130iLvL, which is overkill for those fights.
My worst quest was the SAM quest on the boat, I had to get the best gear possible for that level, food and potions and still only barely made it.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The SAM quest with the rich guy's boat? Like 60% of the damage when I did it was avoidable, meanwhile the 60 RDM quest has a hard DPS check you HAVE to be geared up to face. There's also an annoying Scholar quest where your internet can kill you as well since you have to keep cleansing a debuff or lose instantly.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The only SAM quest I had issue with was the first one, because you talk to this dude and it's like "here's the gear, now here's 700 abilities you can't pronounce thrown onto your bar, go do stuff." SAM is probably my most competent DPS class I play, and I still can't explain the class well to other people because it's so Japanese in all it's ability names.

I leveled AST like a billion years ago, so I didn't have this problem, but a guildy was getting BTFO by a quest that was impossible to complete because when they overhauled the class they removed an ability that was required for the fight. She raged about it for a few days.

Joke Option: The Great Azmugawhatthefuckever level 50 BLU quest can eat my ass. The camera in FFXIV has always been shit and my guildies laughed so hard at my rage on that fight. It took me like 7 tries and it's always annoying on fights like that because you have to RESLOG back through the boring parts.

It's like when you get Chrysalis in Roulette, and you yell "SAVE LB FOR THE TEAR, DO NOT LB THE BOSS" and someone does that, and tanks aren't soaking meteors, so DPS can't make the check and it's BOOM. And it's all because DPS see the boss at about 10% and think "I can push it!" No you can't. Or in Dun Scaith, Sctatath(sp). The DPS is usually high enough that the second add won't drop until she's at like 5%, so everyone is tunneling, even the tanks, so the add is loose, runs to the boss, does his AOE and it's fuckin' wipe city. I've seen so many resets on that fight at like 2%. If the add wasn't still up? The tanks could probably pull it in the driveway, but then he just AOEs again and level 60 tanks aren't getting out of that one.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Mr Bean wrote: 2021-07-05 02:00pm The SAM quest with the rich guy's boat? Like 60% of the damage when I did it was avoidable, meanwhile the 60 RDM quest has a hard DPS check you HAVE to be geared up to face. There's also an annoying Scholar quest where your internet can kill you as well since you have to keep cleansing a debuff or lose instantly.
Problem wasn't really dodging it per se but rather up to that point the game have guided you to be aggressive and being aggressive with the pseudo samurai here will get killed in short order as his abilities can take 2/3 of you HP bar with 1 hit.

As for raids I dunno maybe EU has saner players but I've really had issue of people using LB at wrong time only once and that was a tank using LB as personal cooldown in leveling 4 mans. Never had really anything close to what you describe in roulettes.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I'll be honest, since I'm playing DPS mostly, I don't use LimitBreaks in the battles. I leave those for Healers.

As of last night, I still didn't have access to Stormblood, so I started a new toon in Limsa. Right now it's Arcanist, but I'm really wanting to play Rogue.

And at this point I've ran the Praetorium so many times I can damn near quote Baesar's whole speech. Gotta get the Tomestones, ya know! That's why I forgot Cape Westwind, it was so far back from where I am now and he was such an easy kill with the party I was in.
As I said, I just saw OMEGA Weapon. Praetorium was Ultima Weapon. OMEGA happens before the final credits of Heavensward, when Yda takes her mask off.