I went to Vegas but all I got was shot in the face (Fallout)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

I went to Vegas but all I got was shot in the face (Fallout)

Post by Oscar Wilde »

Liking it so far, story hasn't really started yet but the gameplay is pretty tight. Something about actually aiming down the sights makes taking dudes down much easier.
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: I went to Vegas but all I got was shot in the face (Fall

Post by General Zod »

I've started playing through the first opening bits and survived the Powder Gang ambushed. They've reused about 90% of the assets from FO3 so far. Most of the changes seem to be tweeking the combat and minor cosmetic touches. (Yellow HUD instead of green is kind of "ick".) Also kind of lulzy how Sunny is just a barely reskinned Amata.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Mutant Headcrab
Jedi Knight

Post by Mutant Headcrab »

General Zod wrote:I've started playing through the first opening bits and survived the Powder Gang ambushed. They've reused about 90% of the assets from FO3 so far. Most of the changes seem to be tweeking the combat and minor cosmetic touches. (Yellow HUD instead of green is kind of "ick".) Also kind of lulzy how Sunny is just a barely reskinned Amata.
You can change the hud and pip boy color in the game options. Apparently you could do the same in Fallout 3. Didn't learn that till just the other day.

While the game uses a lot of assets from FO3, that's really the only thing that feels like it was carried over. The voice acting is significantly better, the story (so far as I've played) is better, quests have greater number of solutions (most of which aren't pure good/pure evil choices), the combat is much more solid and can be won without using VATS as a cheat button, and the crafting skills are not only useful, but almost necessary. Especially with ammunition.

While I haven't made it too far in, this almost feels more like a proper sequel to FO2.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

VATS isn't a cheat button; its a core game mechanic. A broken to shit one, but still intended to be used frequently (or always for some players).
Mutant Headcrab
Jedi Knight

Post by Mutant Headcrab »

Stark wrote:VATS isn't a cheat button; its a core game mechanic. A broken to shit one, but still intended to be used frequently (or always for some players).
Regardless, with iron sights implemented and the other improvements to combat, I sure as hell won't be using VATS as often.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Unhappily enough, they seem to have forgotten the laser pistol (at least) for inclusion in the Grand Iron Sights Project. On a better note, did anyone else run into that random guy near the end of the tutorial who wants you to save his girlfriend from geckos? The entire time I was trying to find her I was rolling my eyes at the terrible voice-acting and writing (No emotion! Chilling at a campfire and letting somebody else go alone to save his girl!). Then I got there, there was no girlfriend, and it turns out that the character was a bad actor, and he just wanted to decoy you up there to get you to kill some geckos and then kill you himself. Great job fucking with my expectations. :lol:
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

That guy's amusing.

I've managed to make it to the Outpost in the Southwest. I'm having a hilarious time with the Confirmed Bachelor perk.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Giant Radscorpions? FUCK they are unpleasant. That is all.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

White Haven wrote:Giant Radscorpions? FUCK they are unpleasant. That is all.
They were a pain in the ass in the last game too. The amount of collision detection bugs with npcs seems to be increased in this game, one guy was stuck in the bar counter and had an instance of one of those rams stuck on top of a fence.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

White Haven wrote:Unhappily enough, they seem to have forgotten the laser pistol (at least) for inclusion in the Grand Iron Sights Project. On a better note, did anyone else run into that random guy near the end of the tutorial who wants you to save his girlfriend from geckos? The entire time I was trying to find her I was rolling my eyes at the terrible voice-acting and writing (No emotion! Chilling at a campfire and letting somebody else go alone to save his girl!). Then I got there, there was no girlfriend, and it turns out that the character was a bad actor, and he just wanted to decoy you up there to get you to kill some geckos and then kill you himself. Great job fucking with my expectations. :lol:
That part was broken for me. I return to go talk to the creep only to find the town robot had wandered near by. The moment he turned hostile while I was fighting the Geckos, the Robot blew him away.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Funny about Victor, how he's always showing up. Like he's following you around.

Your 'boss' at the Courier office in Primm said Ol'Vic is the one who hired folks for the run. As well as mentioning one of the other Couriers saw your name on the list and said "let him have it". Then, Vic turns up just in time to pull you out of the shallow grave and get you to the doc.

Now, just what is that 'bot up to... or should I say, what is his OWNER up to?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

So what are the differences from regular Fallout 3? I don't care much for the new weapons and such, since I intend to mod the hell out of it, but someone said something about iron sights?
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:So what are the differences from regular Fallout 3? I don't care much for the new weapons and such, since I intend to mod the hell out of it, but someone said something about iron sights?
Iron sights on zoom is a basic option. Mod kits are in as a basic option. Varied ammo is possible(From the uber-cheap and therefore ruinous on guns surplus ammo, to high end stuff like overcharged energy cells and AP and hollowpoint bullets). Lots more crafting, most decided on skill level. Hardcore(Ammo has weight, eat, drink, and sleep required for life, stimpak's heal slow and can't fix a busted leg) is in there as a basic. Oh yes. You automatically police your brass, and with the right materials, can manufacture your own ammo.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Wow. Sounds cool. Is it actually good or just a gimmick, though?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Game is fun, and still has some of the shitty bugs I hated in Fallout 3 dealing with sound and terrain...and freezing.

Hardcore versus regular isn't bad, but it does make some perks far more valuable. Especially ones like Adamantium Skeleton and Light Step...only if to avoid getting crippled. Sadly, INT is still overpowered by sheer fact that skill points dominate and there are certain perks that you still do not go without. Also you have to be a little more careful with your stora...I mean companions. In Hardcore, they die rather then go sleepy.

Beasties are nastier by the bit of having a damage threshold. This can be a tad annoying to downright bullshit depending on what you are armed with and such not.

If you like collectible nonsense? The game has a shitload of random stuff to get a few extra caps and stuff out of it all.

Overall, it is fun but it's still a bit too much Fallout 3 with a new city, pointless factions(some yes, others are just useless stragglers for possible run throughs but I can see it being too ornery to juggle with others), and every single fucker wanting me to do something because the can't get off their ass and grab the bottle two feet away from them.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

Is there anything in it that I don't already have installed in my Fallout 3? I never understand why game developers are so lazy, they could add 1000 more things, but they never do, but if they did, the game would crush the competition.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Chaotic Neutral wrote: I never understand why game developers are so lazy, they could add 1000 more things, but they never do, but if they did, the game would crush the competition.

Because they have limited development resources and have to make their added in thing fit as well as work above the usual quality of your average modder (ie, prone to bugs)?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:Is there anything in it that I don't already have installed in my Fallout 3? I never understand why game developers are so lazy, they could add 1000 more things, but they never do, but if they did, the game would crush the competition.
And that is why you aren't a project manager.

Turns out that shit costs money and doesn't increase the marketability of the game.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Hardcore mode is kinda interesting, but doesn't really add all that much challenge other than the crippled limbs aspect. Water is solved pretty easily by just going to Goodsprings Source whenever you're thirsty, since two feet from the fast travel location is a well with no radiation. Food will probably never come up unless you sleep for a whole damn day or some shit just because you'll be eating lots of food to regain health. Sleep deprivation comes by so slowly I've never had it actually happen, even after days of wandering around at a time.

The limbs thing, though, that will fuck you up pretty good. Laser weapons seem particularly good at damaging them.

Finally, I like that the NCR isn't a whole bunch of goody-goodies and that the Legion aren't all about twirling their mustaches. It's still an obvious good/bad situation, but at least it's not choosing between Gandhi and Hitler like in FO3.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

White Haven wrote:Giant Radscorpions? FUCK they are unpleasant. That is all.
I ran into a Gaint Queen Radscorpion. Not only does it almost one shot me through reasonable armor if it hits, it's inside a radioactive hellhole (I ducked the wrong way and ended up with +8 rads per sec) with a few Giant Radscorpions for company.
Ryan Thunder wrote:Wow. Sounds cool. Is it actually good or just a gimmick, though?
Ammo is much harder to get now. And if you explore a bit you can hit decidedly nasty areas which require bullet hosing if you want to cut your way through
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

I'm doing a runthrough now, just started, and I'm already impressed. It definitely feels a lot more Fallout-y in its starting areas than 3 did (of course, that might just be the brown talking), and the signs of agriculture are nice.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Do the skies still have that idiotic green tinge to them?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

I can't wait to try this game... but that will have to wait til I fix the driver issues for my GPU.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Ryan Thunder wrote:Do the skies still have that idiotic green tinge to them?
Fuck if I know. I never really noticed it in in FO3 itself until I disabled it.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Just spent my first 40 or so minutes in the game. Seems pretty good so far, loving the writing, loving having recognizable voice actors (Col. Tigh), like the new environment (like FO3, but not nearly as bleak) and liking the modifications they've made, like the addition of repair kits.

Haven't really done anything of course - just the tutorial with the chick and now going to the cemetery to pick up some ingredients.

I wonder - have they implemented FO3's bobble head/ book system so its possible to max everything out? It doesn't seem like the thing Obsidian would do. Obsidian has introduced temporary buff books (magazines) though which is an interesting idea. I wasted some, of course, before I knew they wore off.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/