World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Re: World of Tanks

Post by Nephtys »

T-59's are horrible, horrible things. Especially from the front, and since there's so many.

The tank does pretty much have 1 reasonable weakness at least. It's side hull armor is thin. You have to blast off a tread which will cause it to 90 degree skid, revealing the squishy flank.

Even then, it's not much. I'm insanely mad that no US Gun until TIER 9 can penetrate it virtually anywhere frontally. Even then, it's dicey. The hull is thinner, but you still need to hit very specific tiny locations.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

That's why I'm loving my ARL44 so much. That Tier 8 gun with 212 penetration ensures that I can hurt almost anything I encounter in battle.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Even then, it's not much. I'm insanely mad that no US Gun until TIER 9 can penetrate it virtually anywhere frontally. Even then, it's dicey. The hull is thinner, but you still need to hit very specific tiny locations.
Dammit, I was hoping the 90mm on the T20 would at least give me a chance to hurt them, at the moment t-59s are the only tank I genuinely fear in my Jumbo, everything else at least has some weakness I can try and get to with a not terrible chance of success.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Alkaloid wrote:
Dammit, I was hoping the 90mm on the T20 would at least give me a chance to hurt them, at the moment t-59s are the only tank I genuinely fear in my Jumbo, everything else at least has some weakness I can try and get to with a not terrible chance of success.
The T20's 90mm M3 can fuck up a T59's day. You just need to blast a track off first at range and start going for shots to the sides and back of the turret. Generally speaking though, if a T59 can get to dogfight range with you and you're an American tank below tier 8, you're fucked.

Then of course, you'll run into a couple platoons of them on a single team.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Two whole american tanks below T8 can fight a T-59. The T29 (which is epically awesome), and a very carefully and smartly played T20.

For the T20, that thing is just god anyway. You are a super fast TD basically, shoot and scoot, keep your unarmored butt hull down and poke out with that tiny little pimple turret. If you track a T-59 (which you can do in one shot to the front tread roller), then hit it in the sides. Half the time you'll wreck the engine, or even possibly one-shot the thing's ammo.

The T29 can do the same. Only at close range, you can grind against the T-59 (ie, Facehug), and place shots directly down into the main hull that will penetrate. The T-59 meanwhile, lacks the gun depression to fire at anything but your (invulnerable) turret.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Favorite kill ever was ramming an all but dead T-59 with a Pz4.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Still randomly playing a couple games every now and then for my dailies. Unlocked the Patton, too bad I'm one garage slot and 2 million credits shy of being able to buy it (Pershing is too awesome to sell for the slot).
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

It's weird. I've never really had a problem with Type 59s, unless they're driven well. My Panther with the Absurdly Long 75 hasn't really had a problem with penning them frontally. Just don't aim for the turret, obviously. it might not win, but it'll certainly give the 59 a run for it's money.

Beyond that, the Panther II and Jagdpanther find the 59s to be minor inconveniences most of the time, while the King Tiger finds them delicious.

They're pretty much the ultimate Soviet tank. Ubiquitous, cheap in armour and playstyle but really need a good player to make them shine. Even then, they'd probably still be better off in any other T8 med. The only reason they seem to get off the ground in my experience is that 59 drivers tend to follow each other, making little proto-wolfpacks that can be a bit of a problem. They're not usually very coordinated though, unless there's an actual platoon in there.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

spaceviking wrote:Favorite kill ever was ramming an all but dead T-59 with a Pz4.
I one-shotted a Type 59 in my Jumbo, once. It came around a corner on Lakeville and I took one paniced snapshot at it, caught it in the side of the turret and detonated its ammo rack. Luckiest shot ever.

My main problem with Type 59s is that my highest tier tank is an IS, which is finally putting me on more equal terms with them. In most everything else I have, if I run into a Type 59 its ususally over. That goes the same as any other tier 8, I don't expect to win against something 2 or 3 tiers above me, but the Type 59 gets special hatred because there's just so gods damned many of them, so I see them more. I've seen matches where half the enemy team is Type 59s, and I'm in a Pz4, like "Hmm, guess I'm fucked."
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

A T1 heavy at full pelt can knock about 30% off of a 59 via it's sheer mass. It might need to slide down a sand dune to get the speed up in time, but it remains one of my most satisfying kills ever.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

T32's an interesting ride. I've somehow learned to appreciate how to fire the 105mm gun a lot more in this thing. Trying to grab a T34 before the next patch arrives, so basically I get a free Lowe equivilent then.

It's kind of shocking how bad the stock turret is. And how utterly invincible the best turret is. Took out an IS4 today without taking a scratch, and beat an IS7 previously after facehugging successfully.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

I suppose I will eventually start working on the US heavy tree, when I figure out what garage slots I want to clear up. I'm jumping in from the Jumbo to the M6, avoiding the T1 Heavy. Any M6 tips?
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

i did the M4-jumbo-M6 path myself, the only thing i can say is make sure you get the 90mm before you unlock the T29.

coming in from the jumbo gives the advantage of already having the M1A2, coming in from the T1 would give the advantage of having the engines unlocked.

as i did the former and don't have any plan to get a T1 i didn't bother researching the final engine for the M6, i just went strait for the 90mm and the T29.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

For the M6? Get the damn 90mm gun ASAP. It makes a world of difference. Plus, it saves annoying grind time on the T20 too.

I sucked and hated how huge and poorly armored the M6 was, but having a 90mm really lets you punish people in Tier6. Got a few Boeler's medals from that.

Then, be prepared to be blown away by the murdertastic properties of the T29.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Wewt. The T32 is a monster.

Victory!
Battle: Mines Wednesday, March 07, 2012 1:51:26 PM
Vehicle: T32
Experience received: 2,277
Credits received: 71,833
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Top Gun, Boelter's Medal
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

7.2 test server is up in Russialand, I just so happen to have acquired a russian client, a russian test patch and a russian account. Just in time for the server to go down for maintenance. Scheiße.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

servers been up most of today, but it's full most of the time.

tried some of the hellcat. it's fun but it never seems to reach more than 60kph and turns like a heavy. the turret is also very slow at traversing, just like the slugger they won't let it use it's powered traverse rate. hoping the 90mm improves upon the experience a little, as it is it doesn't have the camo, traverse, or staying power to but the high RoF of the 76 to good use.

we all knew you wouldn't be able to take many hits, but it turns out you can't take ANY hits, even if you survive the HP loss getting hit on any side of the hull will bring you to a stop. a shot to the front will hit your transmission, one to the back will hit your engine, and everybody knows how easy fast tanks are to track.

good news for anybody wanting to go for the T29, the xp cost for the 105mm has been cut in halve, from 40k to 18-19k. all TDs also seem to have reduced xp cost, but are paying for it my making less credits.

they also say that credit and xp earning itself is changed, with tiers 1-5 making slightly more and 6-10 less, tier 6-10 will have better xp earning to help offset this. so basicly the same as it is, only more-so.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

The King is dead!

Long live the King!

Upgraded the E-75 with suspension, second turret and 100% KT crew and took it out for it's very first spin. Killed a T34, Objekt 704 TD and pissed the hell out of a T95 by repeatedly treading it. In true King Tiger style, we proceeded to lose the match, but at least I had fun. It's a long, long road to the 128 and the 1200HP engine though.

Also, for those of you who are looking forward to the T20: Stay the fuck away from Panthers with the Absurdly Long 75mm unless you've got a positional or decent HP advantage. It will chew off your face, mock you, hunt down your family and then kill the IS next to your wreckage for the lulz.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Successfully held off 8 tanks with my tiger 2, while my team captured the enemy base. Was I able to do this cause I'm super awesome? Nope, just got a few good shots and the chicken shits hid rather than engage.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Anybody want to get a group together for the Rhine Crossing challenge?
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The T34 premium as it stands, with a few good crew skills is a murderfucker supreme. The rate of fire is a good bit lower, and there's less HP to play with but the gun's still as accurate, still aims fast and it hits like nothing else in tier 8. The top end is worse, but with a crew skill for turning the turning is about the same and the acceleration is close.
Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

How's the Hellcat looking? From the screenshots on the forum, it looks like they didn't fix the speed limit after all, and the turning and turret look pretty bad. Is that the case, or is the stat change confusing me? And how does it play? Like a Tetrarch or light AMX series, all straight line zip from firing position station A to fixed position B? Floaty, like the T-50? or just exploding junk?
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

it's fun but you'll only see 72kph downhill, 50-60 on flat ground. it's hull traverse isn't too bad but it's nerfed by not letting it zero point turn. turret traverse suuuuuuucks. it's the M36 turret, same armor, same gun, same making us handcrank the turret rather than use the powered traverse. it does have the gun depression that the M36 is supposed to have though.

see my post above about the armor, no matter where you get hit you will ether die or something vital to your movement will be destroyed and you die a second or two after.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

It's a great wolfpacking tank. The turret speed can definitely be worked around if you're thinking ahead to your next shot and willing to use your hull to turn a bit, and a group can utterly savage things. Plus, it doesn't get the silly matchmaking of the french lights.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

It's a shame they had to bring the M18 down so much, considering the real thing can turn out 80 kph on a flat road surface or 65 kph going uphill offroad in any dry surface. I've seen a Hellcat in person with a restored engine with the same ratios and they are nimble as hell both in accelerating and decelerating.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton