Portal given away for free by Steam

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Portal given away for free by Steam

Post by Archaic` »

http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal/
Portal used to cost money. Until May 24th, it's free. End of story.

Well, technically speaking, there are some strings attached. Fortunately, they're entirely decorative. We just like the way they look, swaying in the gentle breeze created by a million people simultanously fainting from shock at the news that Portal is free. Now you have no reason not to try Portal.

"I have a reason," some of you are probably typing into an angry email. "You see, sir, I own a Mac."

Well guess what: For the first time ever, Portal is also available for the Mac.

"Capital news! But the excellent puzzle adventure Portal won over 40 Game of the Year awards; Surely it must cost at least five or six hundred dollars."

You'd think that, especially since it actually won over 70 Game of the Year Awards. But, like we keep saying, Portal is free. Free on the Mac. Free on the PC. But only until May 24th. So you only have a few days to decide if your free copy of Portal is worth the price we're currently charging - which is you ever-so-slightly moving your index finger just barely enough to click the big red "download" button right there to the left.
Long story short, they're giving away Portal to celebrate Steam now being on Mac. If you don't have it yet, go get it now. Even if you hate it....it's free damnit, who can pass up a freebie?
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Portal given away for free by Steam

Post by Solauren »

(Jaw Hits ground at high speed).

Really? Crap, that game was 'I have to beat this, it's so cool!' on the XBox, but now I can get it on my PC?

For FREE?

Need to sign up for Steam....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Thankyou good sir!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Hot damn, if that ain't just convenient! :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I like how this was posted in the bargain bin thread and nobody seemed to notice. :D
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Post by Gramzamber »

I hear if you go get it right now, there's free cake.
"No it's just Anacrap coming to whine and do nothing." -Mike Nelson on Anakin Skywalker
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

General Zod wrote:I like how this was posted in the bargain bin thread and nobody seemed to notice. :D
"Bargain" bin implies that an exchange of currency for goods still occurs.

"Free", on the other hand, has entirely different connotations in which Shroomy does not get to spend any money at all!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Hey, if I don't have a computer capable of powering Portal right now, but will get one in the future, would I be able to transfer my (I guess?) license for the game to that new computer when I get it?
XXXI
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Phantasee wrote:Hey, if I don't have a computer capable of powering Portal right now, but will get one in the future, would I be able to transfer my (I guess?) license for the game to that new computer when I get it?
Yes. Steam games are tied to your account, so you can install them on any computer you want. Just sign in with your account and your list of games will be there.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Punarbhava
Youngling

Post by Punarbhava »

This game was awesome; I'm passing this info on to everyone I know who owns a PC and hasn't played the game yet.

Can't wait for Portal 2.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

General Zod wrote:
Phantasee wrote:Hey, if I don't have a computer capable of powering Portal right now, but will get one in the future, would I be able to transfer my (I guess?) license for the game to that new computer when I get it?
Yes. Steam games are tied to your account, so you can install them on any computer you want. Just sign in with your account and your list of games will be there.
That's the best part about Steam to me: I don't even plan on downloading much less playing Portal, but I've now got the download-on-demand if I ever change my mind. Heck, that's part of the reason why I've let Steam (but not other companies... I think) get away with nickel-and-diming me. :lol:

Phantasee, if you want to save yourself a future download just download the game now and backup the files through the Steam client. When you get the new computer install the Steam client and log in, then take that "archive" folder and use the executable. (There are several PC games -- like Modern Warfare 2 and Napoleon: Total War which require Steam, as the retail discs just have Steam archives of the games.)
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Why would I waste my own storage space for a game I can't play and likely won't play for a year or two, when it'll still be waiting for me on their servers when I do get around to getting a new computer?
XXXI
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Phantasee wrote:Why would I waste my own storage space for a game I can't play and likely won't play for a year or two, when it'll still be waiting for me on their servers when I do get around to getting a new computer?
How do you know that?

It's unlikely, but Steam could go bankrupt in two years, in which case...bye bye, games library!
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Post by Gramzamber »

PeZook wrote:
Phantasee wrote:Why would I waste my own storage space for a game I can't play and likely won't play for a year or two, when it'll still be waiting for me on their servers when I do get around to getting a new computer?
How do you know that?

It's unlikely, but Steam could go bankrupt in two years, in which case...bye bye, games library!
Too bad Steam games are shackled to the Steam client, which now requires an online connection at all times..
"No it's just Anacrap coming to whine and do nothing." -Mike Nelson on Anakin Skywalker
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Gramzamber wrote: Too bad Steam games are shackled to the Steam client, which now requires an online connection at all times..
It does? I played ETW last night in offline mode with no problems.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Gramzamber wrote:
PeZook wrote:
How do you know that?

Too bad Steam games are shackled to the Steam client, which now requires an online connection at all times..
Unless you're playing an Ubisoft game Steam requires no such thing. Where the fuck are you getting your information from?
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

Gramzamber wrote:
PeZook wrote:
How do you know that?

Except when you use that nutty little 'Go offline' mode. Crazy features. You're probably thinking about Ubisoft games and their daft insistence on having all their games tied to a Master server that doesn't even work particularly well. (read - most of the time, it doesn't.)

As far as Steam and Portal goes, it'll be interesting PR for them. I can't help but wonder if they intend to give more games away in the future.
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Post by Gramzamber »

Coaan wrote:Except when you use that nutty little 'Go offline' mode. Crazy features. You're probably thinking about Ubisoft games and their daft insistence on having all their games tied to a Master server that doesn't even work particularly well. (read - most of the time, it doesn't.)

As far as Steam and Portal goes, it'll be interesting PR for them. I can't help but wonder if they intend to give more games away in the future.
Go offline is only an option when I'm already logged in.
Trying to start Steam or a Steam game without a connection or while Valve's servers are down gets me an error message and the client shuts down.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Gramzamber wrote:
Coaan wrote:Except when you use that nutty little 'Go offline' mode. Crazy features. You're probably thinking about Ubisoft games and their daft insistence on having all their games tied to a Master server that doesn't even work particularly well. (read - most of the time, it doesn't.)

Go offline is only an option when I'm already logged in.
Trying to start Steam or a Steam game without a connection or while Valve's servers are down gets me an error message and the client shuts down.
Maybe your computer just sucks? Are you trying to play a GFWL title? Because I've never ran into this and I've got a fuckton of Steam games. It'd be easier to believe you if you could give specific examples.
Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Post by Gramzamber »

General Zod wrote:Maybe your computer just sucks? Are you trying to play a GFWL title? Because I've never ran into this and I've got a fuckton of Steam games. It'd be easier to believe you if you could give specific examples.
I doubt my computer's specs have anything to do with it, and this happens with any game on Steam. Dragon Age, Portal, Torchlight, etc.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

PeZook wrote:
How do you know that?

Bye bye, one free game? :lol:
XXXI
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Phantasee wrote:
PeZook wrote:
How do you know that?

Bye bye, one free game? :lol:
It's a good thing Steam has an option to let you make disc based backups.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

I'm sure I can find the game somewhere in two years, I'm not going to bother burning a disc and making sure I don't lose it. After all, Steam could go bankrupt and my house could burn down in two years.

I'd rather not worry too much about it.
XXXI
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

Gramzamber wrote:
General Zod wrote:Maybe your computer just sucks? Are you trying to play a GFWL title? Because I've never ran into this and I've got a fuckton of Steam games. It'd be easier to believe you if you could give specific examples.
I doubt my computer's specs have anything to do with it, and this happens with any game on Steam. Dragon Age, Portal, Torchlight, etc.
You must not be using the same steam client as the rest of us, because most steam games that aren't multiplayer work just fine in offline mode. Every game you've listed works just fine offline.
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

I think this might be good news for a reason nobody is saying...

They're claiming it's because Portal's now on Mac, but that's nonsense. Nobody serious uses Macs as gaming machines; it's a nice fluff...

But that's not the real thrust of this. They're making Portal free to drum up interest in Portal and Source engine games, and make people go back and play HL2:Ep2 again via the mental connect from Portal and the Orange Box... Because HL3:Ep3 and Portal 2 are nearing release.

*is all kinds of giddy.* I can't wait to get me mah Crowbah again!
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Dude...

Way to overwork a metaphor Shadow. I feel really creeped out now.
I am an artist, metaphorical mind-fucks are my medium.