Fuck Steam is an annoying piece of shit

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Re: Fuck Steam is an annoying piece of shit

Post by Alyeska »

Torchlight just redownloaded for me at a whopping 15kbs the entire time.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Runic games doesn't even know what that download was.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Yeah to get away from that shit the only option so far seems to be to turn off auto-updating for all games, and check back regularly because of Steam's bizarre habit of resetting it to always keep the game up to date anyway.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

My, uh, "adventure" with Steam begun last week, when I bought ETW at a store, and so far it didn't try to redownload the game. Though with my internet connection, it would take two weeks, so I guess I'll just default to offline just to be safe.

It was an annoying piece of crap from the start: the night I bought the game I had two hours of free time, so I decided to check it out, but nooo...it had to get all the updates nownownow and wouldn't let me play it at all. A day afterwards, my wife wanted to understand what's going on during the game, so I decided to switch the language to Polish. Did it ask me to confirm, warning that 2 gigs of patches would need to be redownloaded?

Fuck no. No game for you, fuckface! Come back tomorrow!

For god's sake, I don't have unlimited time for Steam to waste whenever it feels like it. I'm actually regretting not pirating the game. What happens to my game when Steam goes bankrupt/their servers go down/is shut down for other reasons, anyways?
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

"No game for you fuckface, come back tomorrow!"

:lol:

Seriously, we're how many years into Steam and this keeps happening?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I understand certain technical solutions may preclude Steam from simply downloading the patch in the background and applying it when it's done (it's still annoying and I'll complain, of course), but why on Earth can't it do a simple "Update Y/N?" prompt so that I can screw around with the game while I have time and let it download the patch overnight while I'm asleep?
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

Might have to do with the games always being up to date spiel, which is one of their marketing points. Granted, I see no reason for why they don't download the changed game files to a separate directory, and then allow you to apply the changes at a later time after(making sure the game isn't running first). I believe as it currently is downloaded files are sent directly into the game's directory automatically overwriting existing versions. It'd also be ever so nice if the backup of the game it creates used the current game files, instead of the files from when it was first released on Steam (which it appears to do currently), so that every time I restore a game I don't need to download possibly hundreds of megs worth of patches. Still, be glad you're at least getting patches, Steam only takes what patches the publisher gives them and will not pursue the latest patches on their own (keeping in mind that most retail patches are incompatible with Steam versions of games).
Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Post by Gramzamber »

Has Steam gone bye bye for anyone else just now? Unable to connect/won't start at all.
"No it's just Anacrap coming to whine and do nothing." -Mike Nelson on Anakin Skywalker
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Sorry if this is necro but... for some reason when I bought the Civilization IV Complete Collection (original, Warlords, Colonization, and Beyond the Sword), it's one thing for it to appear as the four separate games in my list*... it's another when two copies of each installment appear in my in-client Library; but only one of them is installable. In the List view I can install from any version, but from the Details and Grid views only one instance of each game can be installed and the other is... just there. Anyone else had anything like this happen? It's an inconvenience to have duplicates, especially if I don't have to install all of the four.

* Considering this is a Steam version and BTS, which do I even need to install?
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I think Steam is shitting itself this weekend. I got Flotilla and can't download it - I had been getting hte servers busy error, now it's just nothing.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Odd... it's mainly an inconvenience, I know, but I'd rather not have "duplicates" in my view; kinda like how I feel about my PSN download history.

Note re: the current Steam client; I don't see a way to sort all of one's games ("All Games") into separate lists between installed or not installed; the List view makes the install status a category column but doesn't give separate lists for each.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

The Civ 4 dupes are the Mac version of the game that everybody got for free if they owned the PC version.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

But why only that one? I have Portal attached to my account too, but I haven't got a duplicate of any other game but the Civ IV collection, and I haven't installed any of them or Portal.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Fuck you Steam.

You won't let me download Flotilla, but you decided to go ahead and redownload Tropico 3 and Call of Duty 2?

Thanks.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

How much is flotilla on steam? I bought it a while back on impulse.

PS it's 240msp if you're in a country that gets XNA - ie not Australia. Better with a controller too.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

8.99 when it was on sale (10% off). Not sure if it still is.

I watched the Giant Bomb quicklook and realised that it was Strange Adventures in Infinite Space mixed with Homeworld and was immediately sold.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Motherfucker.

Upgraded to Windows 7 and steam was shitting itself. A self-repair of it failed to work, so I was forced to uninstall it entirely. Turns out that uninstalling Steam also uninstalls ALL games and their associated folders within the Steam directory with shit like your configs and save files. Woo.

So now I've only got a few hundred gig of games that will need to be redownloaded at somepoint, but there's a bunch of games that I've lost all my progress in.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

weemadando wrote:Upgraded to Windows 7 and steam was shitting itself. A self-repair of it failed to work, so I was forced to uninstall it entirely. Turns out that uninstalling Steam also uninstalls ALL games and their associated folders within the Steam directory with shit like your configs and save files. Woo.
You didn't create Steam archives before upgrading?? :? Admittedly I'd have thought that it would be a tad bit more obvious (re: uninstalling Steam -- I guess you thought for whatever reason that you would just uninstall the client), but I'm sorry to hear about your case.

One thing I've noticed is that Steam stuff has no unified "scheme" for , so it seems that you may have to individually back up game saves/configs separately; in the case of Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood the save/config data turned out to be, of all things, a registry file that could be edited in Notepad. :wtf:

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Steam seems to have certain games on my system that it 'chooses' to fuck with. It used to be Empire:TW, now its DoW2: Chaos Rising - it pulled the redownload shit again last week. Luckily I've already finished the game so I just deleted it and didn't reinstall it. Fucking thing.

There really should be a unified website someone should make so that the developers are aware of this fucking shit.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

You didn't create Steam archives before upgrading?? Admittedly I'd have thought that it would be a tad bit more obvious (re: uninstalling Steam -- I guess you thought for whatever reason that you would just uninstall the client), but I'm sorry to hear about your case.
My hope was that there would be a dialogue box or similar at some point asking me if I wanted to uninstall all local content. So I could say: "NO!" But there wasn't. At the very least I'd hope that it would've uninstalled the games and left hte configs/saves in place, not uninstalled and deleted the directories wholesale.
Steam seems to have certain games on my system that it 'chooses' to fuck with. It used to be Empire:TW, now its DoW2: Chaos Rising - it pulled the redownload shit again last week. Luckily I've already finished the game so I just deleted it and didn't reinstall it. Fucking thing.
I fixed that problem - Steam support game me this solution:
Please exit Steam and go to the folder called C:\Program Files\Steam\ (this is the default location for a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it). Delete all of the files in this folder except: The \Steamapps\ folder and Steam.exe (this file is listed as an application and features the black and white Steam logo) Restart your computer. Then, launch Steam.exe from within the Steam installation folder, and not from a pre-existing shortcut. With Steam running, re-test the original issue. Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games.

Which worked perfectly and I didn't have the "random re-downloading" thing occur again. Pity it didn't fix my zany Windows 7 issue.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Cool. I'll do that, thanks.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

The only thing I don't like is I can't figure out how to make multiple 'shortcuts' to load applications with different command line options.
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

GuppyShark wrote:The only thing I don't like is I can't figure out how to make multiple 'shortcuts' to load applications with different command line options.
You could just create a normal windows shortcut pointing to the .exe of the game in question in the steamapps folder.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Lief
Transphobic Ignoramus

Post by Lief »

I have had steam since it was released, and aside from I think two days it was offline due to logon server issues, I have never had a problem with it, and I have around 50 games on there...

I do have a stable computer / connection though.