To buy, or not to buy: Nexus One

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Braedley
Jedi Council Member

To buy, or not to buy: Nexus One

Post by Braedley »

It's time for me to get a new phone. When I got my current cell phone, I didn't need, nor wanted a smart phone. Now, it's still not so much a need, but definitely is a want. My preferences are for either an iPhone or Android phone, with a Palm Pre Plus in a near third. Also, getting a subsidized phone isn't really an option at this point, as my contract isn't up until the new year.

So my question is, do I suck it up and buy a Nexus One online, go into my cell phone provider and pick up another Android phone or iPhone, or do I just wait it out until my current contract is up, and pick up a new smart phone then?
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
phongn
Rebel Leader

Re: To buy, or not to buy: Nexus One

Post by phongn »

Wait until your contract expires.
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

If you are OK with what you have now...I think you should wait. Smart phones are pretty convenient (I use my Droid's music and browser features A LOT), but there are probably better things for you to buy with those extra hundreds of dollars you would spend, under no contract.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

I can't really say I'm happy with my current phone anymore. I managed to crack the front LCD early on, and they wouldn't fix it under warranty (despite the fact that was caused by a manufacturing defect, IMO). I can access websites, but it's slow (2G at best) and painful on the small screen, and without a data plan, costs a bundle. Texting on it is as good as any other non-qwerty phone, but the camera kinda sucks (I rarely use it).
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

What do you want from the new phone exactly? I got a C702 and it pretty much has everything I could need (plays music fine, has GPS, can play some decent games, can record voices decently if not beautifully, comes with a handsfree, bonus built-in flashlight etc).

Do you need GPS navigation? MP3 playing ability? Games? Do you want a large-resolution camera?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

I don't need GPS (have a stand alone device), and don't need MP3 ability, although it's hard to get a smart phone without them. Both android and iPhone do that anyway, so it's a bit of a moot point.
I do need a camera that offers at least 3Mp resolution, and is higher quality than what's on my phone now, and the ability to play games would be nice. The other usual niceties that you find on smart phones like WiFi are also pretty much necessary. Right now, when I'm away from home, all I can really do is check my gmail account unless I can grab a computer. That just isn't enough for me anymore.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Depending if you have AT&T or not, (I think it's limited to AT&T in the US), I would wait for the Dell Aero (aka the Mini5), if you can that is.

It looks to be a pretty damn good Android based smart phone. When my contract comes up for renewal next I'm thinking of getting it.

Otherwise, I would suggest any of the Android based Smartphones, they all seem to be getting pretty good marks.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Superboy
Padawan Learner

Post by Superboy »

I've tested several phones, including owning a Droid for a couple months and an iPhone for a bit over a year. I now own both a Droid and an iPhone and I use the iPhone far, far more often than the Droid. The Droid seems to have better hardware (a physical keyboard, a beautiful display), but the software available for the iPhone absolutely trumps anything available on the Droid. It's hard to describe all of the many, many things you can do with your phone when you have access to the Apple Appstore. The Droid has some cool apps too, but nothing like the quantity and quality available on the iPhone. There are countless great games on the iPhone too, and a couple good ones available for other phones.

Couple that with the fact that Jailbreaking the iPhone is now incredibly easy and hassle free (takes a couple minutes tops, even if you don't know anything about using computers), and unlocks the ability to do even more amazing things, and I'd say you should definitely go with the iPhone.

It's gotten to the point for me that the specs for a phone almost don't matter until other phones can get an Appstore of similar quality to Apple. It just makes such a huge difference that's difficult to explain if you haven't actually tried out some of the apps available.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Somewhat related, who buys all those apps from the respective AppStores? Who buys them and then uses them again and again and again?

People say "oh well the iPhone has great software..." But what do you buy from the iPhone that you use again and again that none of the other big names have? Social Media Apps that are Free and are on all the other smartphone OSs anyway?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I don't buy anything expensive, but I like having half-decent $1 games that last a few weeks. Given the massive disparity in software numbers, even if the iPhone has 1/10th the useful app rate of anyone else, they still have more - but this will probably change once Droid really starts to take off.
Superboy
Padawan Learner

Post by Superboy »

For me, it's all about the games on the iPhone. I could make a list of all the useful non-games apps I use daily (apps that help plan an organize workouts, sleep cycle monitors, apps that let me use my phone as a remote control for my computer media, that tie into my entire household media centers, that let me stream video and audio from my computer HDD no matter where I am, etc), but the games are the really big selling point for me.

The Android Market just doesn't have anywhere near the amount of games that the appstore has, and the ones they do have aren't nearly the quality of iPhone games. So far the Android Market doesn't seem to offer many games that go beyond simple puzzles. There are some iPhone games with real depth and length and complexity and great plots, not to mention better gameplay than anything on Android. I just don't see the Android Marketplace catching up to the Appstore because the iPhone will be more popular for a long long time.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

When do you play any games more advanced than puzzle games? I mean, I might be standing in line somewhere and whip out my blackberry to play a quick puzzle game(that I got for free at the app store)...but when are you going to sit down and do something more advanced?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Superboy
Padawan Learner

Post by Superboy »

You're surprised that some people like mobile gaming? Have you looked at the sales numbers for handheld games?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I'm surprised that people use what I consider a utilitarian device(portable phone/email) as a game system first, and that it factors into purchasing when you buy one.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The handheld market is huge enough; and if you're already carrying a device with more grunt than a DS, why not? Just because YOU aren't in the market for portable gaming doesn't mean it isn't huge.

The logic for buying a phone and playing games is the same as the logic for buying a phone that plays video and music and finds you on a map. Why carry more devices?
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

Lonestar wrote:Somewhat related, who buys all those apps from the respective AppStores? Who buys them and then uses them again and again and again?

People say "oh well the iPhone has great software..." But what do you buy from the iPhone that you use again and again that none of the other big names have? Social Media Apps that are Free and are on all the other smartphone OSs anyway?
It's not even stuff you have to buy, Bloomberg iPhone is free but an extremely useful tool, I really like having IM sync'ed to Meebo, and Facebook is much more fully featured on the iPhone. Sometimes it's regional - just last year Symbian was in the lead with apps for Hong Kong, now the iPhone is. It only takes one or two decisive apps to need a platform. I think Apple's app store policies are way too restrictive, but that moral imperative pales next to getting the apps I need.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Ypoknons wrote: It's not even stuff you have to buy, Bloomberg iPhone is free but an extremely useful tool, I really like having IM sync'ed to Meebo, and Facebook is much more fully featured on the iPhone. Sometimes it's regional - just last year Symbian was in the lead with apps for Hong Kong, now the iPhone is. It only takes one or two decisive apps to need a platform. I think Apple's app store policies are way too restrictive, but that moral imperative pales next to getting the apps I need.
All three of those you mentioned are also on RIM's Blackberry appstore(and Blackberries are labeled as NOT being consumer friendly). In fact during my last OTA updated a consolidated social media/instant messaging app("social beat") appeared on my Storm. Like I said earlier, the types of Apps that people use over and over again are free ones that also show up on other smartphone OSs. I don't buy that people primarily use their smartphones as portable gaming systems.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Who cares about 'primarily'? When for 95% of people there is little functional different between a BB or an iPhone of an e75, you refuse to believe anyone would choose one based on how good its Snake is? Did you forget the 90s?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Stark wrote:Who cares about 'primarily'? When for 95% of people there is little functional different between a BB or an iPhone of an e75, you refuse to believe anyone would choose one based on how good its Snake is?
(1)Snake would be one of those casual games that are easily gettable on all the major smartphone OSs, which is sorta my point.
(2)I believe it, I just think it's a silly thing to factor in. Mostly because...
(3)The only time I'm going to be playing "not-casual" portable games is on airline flights or something similiar. Not all airlines provide AC outlets in economy or coach. Why on earth would I drain the battery of my phone in that case? Especially as a have a portable gaming system that I got in 2005?(Nintendo DS)
Did you forget the 90s?
Man, I was in High school and middle school in the '90s. Also my parents were into "taking the kids camping" not "give them gadgets" school of parenting.
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

Lonestar wrote:I don't buy that people primarily use their smartphones as portable gaming systems.
This is anecdotal, but my cousin and almost all of his smartphone-wielding friends (primarily, they are into iPhones, but some have Android-loaded smartphones) would seriously disagree with you on that.

At least, in the case of my cousin, he actually prefers to play his portable games on his iPhone, because virtually everything else he uses is already installed on it. His games are all centralized along with the rest of his iPhone apps, including his cell phone functionality, web browser, E-mail, instant messaging, Twitter client...the list could go on forever.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

So... you admit people do it and say you 'don't understand' because you have a separate device and people like to centralise their stuff? Hell, apps and games was a big draw for Symbian games, especially since they did everything else phones of the time did as well.

Like I said, once Droid penetrates the market more they will (hopefully) catch up on app quality and quantity, but people buy phones for stupid reasons. When I got my iPhone, people thought Shazam was the best shit ever and worth buying the phone for.

Turns out the general public != IT professionals?
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

Lonestar wrote:All three of those you mentioned are also on RIM's Blackberry appstore(and Blackberries are labeled as NOT being consumer friendly). In fact during my last OTA updated a consolidated social media/instant messaging app("social beat") appeared on my Storm. Like I said earlier, the types of Apps that people use over and over again are free ones that also show up on other smartphone OSs. I don't buy that people primarily use their smartphones as portable gaming systems.
True - things change really fast, I just checked and the Blackberry platform now has most of the apps I need, including Hong Kong local apps. Is Facebook on BB comparable to the iPhone one? I can't really offer an argument on that, I don't have even platform experience, and my needs would be a bit different given my need for local applications.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The people I know with BBs tell me the Facebook functionality is better than FB was on iPhone originally, but not as good as it is now. In generally BB apps don't seem to move as fast as the iPhone end; but given the market difference (and the superior BB featureset stock) that's not surprising.
Superboy
Padawan Learner

Post by Superboy »

(3)The only time I'm going to be playing "not-casual" portable games is on airline flights or something similiar. Not all airlines provide AC outlets in economy or coach. Why on earth would I drain the battery of my phone in that case? Especially as a have a portable gaming system that I got in 2005?(Nintendo DS)
That's a remarkably stupid point. Even if you personally won't play non-casual portable games often, you must realize that a whole hell of a lot of people do. Secondly, even if you own a DS, the iPhone offers completely different games and types of games, for much, much cheaper than DS games. It also means you don't have to carry around another device that's quite a bit larger than your phone.

As for non-game apps:

The Appstore has 3-4 times as many apps as competing markets. How is it silly to take that into account? Because you personally wouldn't use many apps?

Just tonight, while looking for a restaurant, I used an app that pulled up all restaurants around me (using GPS) and provided directions, reviews, pictures and menus of each restaurant. The only comparable apps for the Droid or BB's don't do nearly as much, nearly as well.

While waiting for our meals, I used my iPhone to show my friend a part of a TV show I was talking about, streamed from my computer at home to my iPhone in seconds. Try doing that with any other phone.

This morning I used a flashcard app on my iPhone to teach my niece new words and letters. She then spent half an hour playing with an Elmo muppet maker app.

When I was at the gym, I used an app that helps plan a workout schedule based on my goals and provides instructions, tips and videos of how to best perform each exercise, then graphs my weight and BMI changes over time, adjusting the workout schedule as needed.

I even used an app this morning that monitors my movement during the night to record what state of sleep I'm in so that it can act as an alarm and wake me up when I'm in the most ideal sleep state to feel refreshed.

These are just some of the apps that I've personally found useful today. Even if you might not use them, there are thousands of other apps to choose from that aren't available anywhere else. Of course that should be taken into consideration when choosing a phone.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Superboy wrote:
That's a remarkably stupid point. Even if you personally won't play non-casual portable games often, you must realize that a whole hell of a lot of people do. Secondly, even if you own a DS, the iPhone offers completely different games and types of games, for much, much cheaper than DS games. It also means you don't have to carry around another device that's quite a bit larger than your phone.
Pretty amazing how you managed to completely read over my comment about "I wouldn't want my phone to be drained to hell if I don't have access to an AC outlet", which really was my big point. Who the fuck plays "serious" portable games when they aren't travelling? Someone who is visiting someone and doesn't want to speak to the person in the same room with them?
As for non-game apps:

The Appstore has 3-4 times as many apps as competing markets. How is it silly to take that into account? Because you personally wouldn't use many apps?

Just tonight, while looking for a restaurant, I used an app that pulled up all restaurants around me (using GPS) and provided directions, reviews, pictures and menus of each restaurant. The only comparable apps for the Droid or BB's don't do nearly as much, nearly as well.

While waiting for our meals, I used my iPhone to show my friend a part of a TV show I was talking about, streamed from my computer at home to my iPhone in seconds. Try doing that with any other phone.

This morning I used a flashcard app on my iPhone to teach my niece new words and letters. She then spent half an hour playing with an Elmo muppet maker app.

When I was at the gym, I used an app that helps plan a workout schedule based on my goals and provides instructions, tips and videos of how to best perform each exercise, then graphs my weight and BMI changes over time, adjusting the workout schedule as needed.

I even used an app this morning that monitors my movement during the night to record what state of sleep I'm in so that it can act as an alarm and wake me up when I'm in the most ideal sleep state to feel refreshed.

These are just some of the apps that I've personally found useful today. Even if you might not use them, there are thousands of other apps to choose from that aren't available anywhere else. Of course that should be taken into consideration when choosing a phone.
Congrats, you probably make up the under 5% of the people that actually use a spread of Apps on a regular basis(if I am to take you at your word, of course). It doesn't detract from my opinion that it's asinine to buy a specific phone because it had 5 times the redundant apps as the other smartphone OSs.

"Oh wow! Now I can choose between 30 different restraunt apps that do the same thing instead of 5!" :wanker: