Need Recommendations for PS4 Games

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Need Recommendations for PS4 Games

Post by LadyTevar »

Nitram bought a PS4 last year, and I really don't want to sell/give it away. So, name me some games that *I* might be interested in.

I am a huge Final Fantasy/JRPG fan. I'm not that good at FPS or Civ-style games. Not a fan of Sports.
I loved watching Nit play DragonAge, FallOut, Infamous, and Prototype, but he didn't get into the GTA or Assassin's Creed series.
When I played DragonAge, I was kinda a button-masher. Nitram was more controlled, knew what button did what and when to use them. FallOut was a shooter, and I kept dying. Infamous and Prototype I never played, those were His Babies.

Maybe I should try playing them now. Pity we got rid of the PS3 and the games.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Need Recommendations for PS4 Games

Post by TheFeniX »

LadyTevar wrote:Nitram bought a PS4 last year, and I really don't want to sell/give it away. So, name me some games that *I* might be interested in.
It's early in the console's life, so there's not a lot out there.
I am a huge Final Fantasy/JRPG fan.
There's FFXIV, but it's definitely an MMO through and through. It has some interesting questing and job systems though. Great music and cutscene work.... which is par for the course for Squeenix.
I loved watching Nit play DragonAge, FallOut, Infamous, and Prototype, but he didn't get into the GTA or Assassin's Creed series.
When I played DragonAge, I was kinda a button-masher. Nitram was more controlled, knew what button did what and when to use them. FallOut was a shooter, and I kept dying. Infamous and Prototype I never played, those were His Babies.
Fallout 3 and NV can be played almost exclusively using the VATS system, removing the need for a lot of the shooter elements. VATS also makes the games much easier since your "turns" are on top of what you could do normally. Prototype suffered from insane and random difficulty ramping. Supposedly this wasn't an issue in Infamous. Dragonage is.... well, the later games are post-EA Bioware, so your mileage may vary.

It's hard to say what you would like judging from your post. There's not a lot of what I would consider "classic" JPRGs. They've got to a much more action/RPG system or just weirdness such as the Final Fantasy Battle System from later games. The PS network releases "free" games each month, so you might give some of those a shot.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

The Dynasty Warrior games are good for a simple fix and you can do plenty with just button mashing. Once you get the hang of the controls you can get a better feel for what does what. I'd suggest renting to see if it's your thing first.

There's also the Batman Arkham games, but those might or might not be too complicated; they're easy enough to get the basics by going through the tutorial sections.

It's also worth pointing out that if you buy used from Gamestop you can return them in 7 days for a full refund if you don't like them.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I also believe Diablo 3 is out on the PS4 and should be right up your alley. Not too complicated and pretty easy to button-mash your way through but it can still be fun.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

I recommend staying far away from Watch_Dogs, unfortunately; it's poop from a butt. InFamous Second Son, I've heard is damned beautiful, if short.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Knack's actually a fun little diversion despite the kicking the critics gave it at launch. That said, I'd try and find a used copy, as it's not really worth the full retail asking price.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

If you like sarcasm, get GTA V. It is pretty nice to watch but very cynical.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

DaveJB wrote:Knack's actually a fun little diversion despite the kicking the critics gave it at launch. That said, I'd try and find a used copy, as it's not really worth the full retail asking price.

This, too.