Frog Fractions

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Frog Fractions

Post by weemadando »

http://twinbeardstudios.com/frog-fractions

I'm not going to say anything except that you should set aside a half hour or so and play this browser game.

Then report back.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: Frog Fractions

Post by Vendetta »

If I wanted mindless grinding I would play World of Tanks.

/plays world of tanks.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Then you fail. Thanks for coming.

You never have to grind. You just have to be creative.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

I played it the other day at the suggestion of a coworker. Amazing and hilarious, and you're missing a great gaming experience by not playing it. I won't spoil anything, but let's just say the game isn't what it at first appears to be.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

As funny as the hippest of gaming hipsters being months behind might be, I'm not sure the appeal could be more niche. But hey; enough podcasts SAY it's amazing and awesome and it will become such.

Ando isn't special; he's not even unusual. People like him drive the PC buzz machine. The only reason he doesn't have a podcast with which to reinforce the circular news himself is that hundreds of identical people already do it. Even his lords and masters at RPS talked about this game centuries ago.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

No, really. The fact that the grind of "repeat unchallenging task to make a number bigger" changes from one pointless thing to another pointless thing from time to time doesn't actually change the nature of the game, "see what waaaacky thing" is going to happen next does not really constitute a drive to progress.
Spoiler
The only bit that's actually maybe engaging on its own terms is the text adventure, if you like moon logic text adventure games, and if you do, hey, the Hitchhikers game is free on the internets somewheres.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I think thats the only part with any meat on it too (it appears most nerd-control websites agree, beyond the obvious WOW SO ZANY GAME SAID RANDOM WORDS stuff). Its amusing to me given the hype spike, that people would consider this a 'best game evvvvvah' right now, having totally forgotten things like the Walking Dead, but will probably forget about it and then simply pretend they were never captured by its hype at all.

And hey, Space Rangers lets you play poorly-translated minigames too. I guess if RPS posted gonzo bullshit about their ILLNESS for SR2 we'd see a huge hype spike for that, too. :lol:
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Actually I just heard of it 3 or 4 days ago. It was fun to play because I had no idea what it was going to be. And definitely didn't see a lot of what happened coming.

Is it worth talking about here? Probably, after all, I think it's a good example of subverting the expectations. Or is G&C just for WoT and complaining now?

Also shouldn't you be anti Walking Dead? After all, it's not really a game, just a series of QTEs...
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It's almost like I can judge a work on its content, and not a)buzzwords and b)'I like it'! I have been told this is impossible, so just call me 'Mr Impossible'. I hate Walking Dead because it has shit puzzles and zombies, but you can't argue with the content and success. Of course, most people can only rave about one thing at a time so it's forgotten because its too hard to form your own opinion.

The game is certainly valuable as another datapoint on the 'literally all that matters is hype' doctrine; coming after FC3 and it's life cycle just makes it less amusing than it would have been otherwise.

Remember when FTL was cool for literally two days? And then people played it and it evaporated? :lol:
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Though the enjoyment that results from any action is inherently transient, that does not mean that the enjoyment did not exist. :v
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

If something is the greatest thing ever OMG u must play it!!!! And then falls into the background and is lost in all the other gonzo hype... Maybe these authorities are not solid predictors. It's almost as if you can tell people any old crap is good and they will play it and have ZANY FUN - who knew?