What's a good oldish free MMORPG to play nowadays?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

What's a good oldish free MMORPG to play nowadays?

Post by Soontir C'boath »

My computer is fairly old so I can't play most of the modern games out now. Are there any that are still chugging along after all these years that I can play? I have tried Eve and found it tedious, and SW:TOR sounds awful given the latest thread.

I am currently installing Everquest right now to check that out.

I'm running with an Intel Core Duo 1.86GHz, 2GB of Ram, and a Nvidia 8500 GT card.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: What's a good oldish free MMORPG to play nowadays?

Post by Thanas »

Pirates of the burning sea is free to play and should run fine on your rig.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Burning Sea is about to shut down temporarily. Sony is spinning it off to a new company made up of existing devs, but until they're up to speed it'll be shutting down.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

yeah but you can still play it until the end of january.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Not sure how intensive it would be, but The Secret World just went non-subscription (still have to purchase the game) and apparently that's a brilliant MMO.

Realm of the Mad God?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Surely not serious?

I doubt Secret World would work well on his machine, since it's built on Age of Lag's engine. Similarly, while GW2 is pretty choice, he probably couldn't run it satisfactorily.
Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

Post by Dr Roberts »

GW2 would run horribly on his machine probably.
Have Computer/Virus/Malware etc. problems or questions feel free to PM me.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

The original Guild Wars should do fine and it's a rather fun game to play. Though it's rather old by now.

I also find that it got boring over time but then I'm not much for MMORPGs as it is so your mileage may vary.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Dr Roberts wrote:GW2 would run horribly on his machine probably.
Is there a fucking echo in here?

I'm not sure if by 'free' he means entirely free, or sub free, or F2P or what. Most of the older, low spec MMOs are either dead or fucking awful. There are some interesting modern games, but he either couldn't run them or they have an upfront cost.

Depending on what about MMOs he wants, he can probably play a different game and be satisfied anyway. Heaps of people play MMOs basically solo.
Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

I'm looking for sub free. Something I won't have any financial attachment to and I'm a PvM type of person.

Just finished downloading Pirates and I'll see how that goes.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

Post by Dr Roberts »

Stark wrote:
Dr Roberts wrote:GW2 would run horribly on his machine probably.
Is there a fucking echo in here?

I'm not sure if by 'free' he means entirely free, or sub free, or F2P or what. Most of the older, low spec MMOs are either dead or fucking awful. There are some interesting modern games, but he either couldn't run them or they have an upfront cost.

Depending on what about MMOs he wants, he can probably play a different game and be satisfied anyway. Heaps of people play MMOs basically solo.
How rude :lol:

I accidentally cut the part where I said a friend of mine run it on worse specs.
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Anarchy Online, it's an older (released 2001) sci-fi rpg that still has a fairly intensive playerbase. Free to play (with some ads) without expansions and was one of the first western mmo's to have F2P.

Plenty of PvM to be had, indeed most of the PvP is based in the expansions.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

Post by Dr Roberts »

How about runescape? *Backs away whist SDN members spit out their drinks and close in on me with pitchforks*
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

I'm quite a fan of Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO) it should run fine on your setup there, is f2p these days and is still adding quite a bit of new content. If you do decide to give it a go, look me up on the Thelanis server and I'll hook you up with some gear.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The_Saint wrote:Anarchy Online, it's an older (released 2001) sci-fi rpg that still has a fairly intensive playerbase. Free to play (with some ads) without expansions and was one of the first western mmo's to have F2P.

Plenty of PvM to be had, indeed most of the PvP is based in the expansions.
Seconded, also the adds are physical adds for the most part. IE there are billboards in certain player cities and a few on major pathways but no popups or spam messages or anything. It can be immersion breaking to fly your sci-fi flying car past a billboard promoting a soft drink but it's got the nicest FTP setup around.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Soontir C'boath

Keevan_Colton wrote:I'm quite a fan of Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO) it should run fine on your setup there, is f2p these days and is still adding quite a bit of new content. If you do decide to give it a go, look me up on the Thelanis server and I'll hook you up with some gear.
I notice it's run by the same company that did LOTR which was quite tedious and lacking without Turbine points and what not. I hope it's not the same for DDO.

As for Guild Wars, of what I played so far, it's been pretty good so I may end up buying the complete collection.

Anarchy Online sounds intriguing. I'll have to look into that when I finish sating my fantasy appetite.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

I've played LOTRO as well, it's not as well put together as DDO. Also, turbine points drop pretty thick and fast in DDO, you get them free when you complete new quests on a character, so it's easy enough to get more adventure packs and stuff.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

World of Warcraft also has a limited F2P option as well, and should run on a microwave.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Wurm Online is kind of a niche interest, but my machine is even older than yours and it can just about run it with the graphics settings turned down.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Soontir C'boath

Zaune wrote:Wurm Online is kind of a niche interest, but my machine is even older than yours and it can just about run it with the graphics settings turned down.
Yikes, looks like it combines Minecraft and Farmville into one massive undertaking.

So far, I'm really taking to DDO. Guild Wars seems to like to flood you with a ton of quests that you're either too weak to do or need a party to get it done, but DDO has been pretty manageable by myself as a Caster Cleric.
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

LOTRO should run fine on your older rig with lower settings, at least in the older areas - they went pretty wild with the newest Rohan areas, but if you're just starting out, it'll be a good while before you set foot into Rohan anyways.

Star Trek Online can be fun for a couple of weeks.