Metroid Other M

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Metroid Other M

Post by SAMAS »

E3 09 Trailer

A new game Nintendo's making with Team Ninja, of all people. Seems to be a combination of 2D and 3D, with a heavy(er) emphasis on Action. It apparently takes place between Super and Fusion, and will provide a few peeks into Samus' past.

And apparently taking some cues from God of War and Monty Oum.

"Any objections, Lady?"
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Re: Metroid Other M

Post by Ford Prefect »

"Remember me?" *cheesy grin*

Having Adam Malkovich in it is actually kind of cool, though I have to say, having Samus talk feels kind of unusual. She monologued a little in Super Metroid and Fusion, of course, but hearing her voice for anything other than screams of pain is new.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Ehhh, it looks like some fusion between Super Metroid and Ninja Gaiden. I suppose that could be fun? Never really got into Ninja Gaiden, so, huh.

Again with the lack of isolation. Kind of always digged that about other Metroid games. Oh, well, if they pull it off well I'm fine with that.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

pj1351
Youngling

Post by pj1351 »

Unfortunately, the pacing and animation of the gameplay makes me rather apprehensive... I just hope that it's not going to end up like that Nina Williams game for the PS2... They should have named that one "Death by Brain Damage". :banghead:
"Those Chinese f..kers are trying to rat-f..k us," -credited to Kevin Rudd, the former Prime Minister of Australia :lol:
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

Yeah, I can't say I'm enthused about a studio that's main accomplishment is a tit-bounce fighter and a face-brick hard action adventure being the main programmers here. Though it'll be interesting to have Samus use a little more of her supposed Chozo combat training than just the weapon system of the Power Suit...
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

there must be hidden places, it is written, and so it must be, for it can not be a Metriod game if you can't blow up some convient piece of archatecture and find a hidden passage.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Will there be at least a single Metroid in the whole game?

Also, I consider comments like this:
Too bad we won't get to see a Zelda or Metroid game with the graphical power of the 360 or PS3. It makes the child in me cry.
to be the mark of the asshole. Yes, we know the Wii is not as powerful in the graphics department as the 360 or the PS3, go play with those if it bothers you that much.
unsigned
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

I like comments like this one better:
I apologize in advance for the wall of text, but this... THING, fills me with so much fucking RAGE, as do your responses to it.
Metaroid said: It's just a trailer dude -_-'
No. It's more than a trailer. It's a prelude to most likely the worst god-forbid-I-call-it-a-game of the century. I could rant, but I don't think I'm allowed to post something as long as a short story.
Josho360 said: Nintendo needs games like this
NO. YOU sir, shall leave. Right now.
sir-jafar said: exactly, if TEAM NINJA is making this then they're going to do shit nintendo would never have been able to do with Metroid. This was probably the best announcement from Nintendo, yes better than the side scrolling mario game, that looks more like a ds game than a wii game.
YOU WILL DIE A SLOW. PAINFUL. DEATH. First of all, all the new Mario games always turn out to be pure crap, so it's not hard to be better than that.

Team Ninja is doing things to Metroid that SHOULD never have been done. They don't understand the idea of Metroid. It's not for the brainless masses that most games appeal to. It's not meant to be composed solely of fighting or action. It's supposed to be a mesh of the shooter/platforming/puzzl genres that is meant for at least semi-intelligent audiences, who are looking for a challenge. Metroid was a game that could keep it's awesomeness but still be very challenging. It's meant to have at least a little mystery in it. It's not supposed to have every damn thing spelled out in a painfully obvious manner, just so some idiots will stop bitching and whining about how they don't know EVERY DAMN DETAIL. You people who think this is amazing don't understand what Retro knew. They knew that any franchise that goes on for way too long will be ruined by the mere fact that it's running out of original ways to convey a constant idea. Look at Mario. Those games were awesome at first! They were fun, and slightly difficult without being impossible. But now all the ideas are trite, and too cutesy to leave the player with a truly good experience. They also became extremely easy to get through, and never lasted long enough to get a really good feel for the game.

What's worse about *shudder* Other M is that they made it into a fucking anime game! They took everything wrong with American anime, applied it to what appears to be a mix of a football game and Metroid, and fucked it up even more with horrible graphics!! I mean, the least they could do is make it LOOK good!
Metroid is a serious game for us intellectuals and not the animu fans! That's why she practically posed in bikinis even in the early games.

I love fans.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Wow, the nerdrage in that is almost palpable. Here I was thinking Other M looks like it might be a good way of changing things around in the series. :)
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

I have trouble reading comments like that one without my mental filters blocking them out.

As for the trailer, it was a bit too arcade-y (not that that's a bad thing), but I was in intrigued by the direction they seem to be taking the platformer style. It feels like it'll be controlled like a platformer, but with camerawork to make it feel 3d.
unsigned
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I am left completely cold by that trailer.

It looks like the faux-platformer bits from Smash Brothers, and if that's what they're going for, oh dear. That didn't work out at all. Maybe we've been spoilt by the last few Metroid games, maybe I've just become too used to the 2D Metroid on portable/ 3D on home consoles split, but I can't get excited about this.
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

According to an IGN interview, the director is Yoshio Sakamoto, who was also the director for Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission. He was not directly involved with the Prime series. The cinematics are done by a third studio.

I wish we had more detail about the gameplay. I'm looking forward to a 3d, third-person Metroid game.

It looks like, despite the ability to engage in hand-to-hand combat, Samus's arm cannon is still her main damage-dealer. That's what I'm hoping, anyway. (And hopefully the close-ranged combat isn't based on quick-time events. I didn't see any indication that it would be in the trailer, at least.)

The power suit looks like it has less detail than the Prime series. Hopefully that's because the artwork hasn't been finished yet. But it's lower detail even in the cinematics, so I don't know. I think I preferred the Prime look.
Later...
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Mad wrote:According to an IGN interview, the director is Yoshio Sakamoto, who was also the director for Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission. He was not directly involved with the Prime series. The cinematics are done by a third studio.
That does fill me with a bit more hope for the game. I liked everything but Fusion, that just didn't feel like a Metroid game. I'm trying to reserve judgment because it's so early, but so far like Bounty I can't say the trailer fills me with confidence.
Mad wrote:The power suit looks like it has less detail than the Prime series. Hopefully that's because the artwork hasn't been finished yet. But it's lower detail even in the cinematics, so I don't know. I think I preferred the Prime look.
Well it looks like this is supposed to be the basic power suit with none of the upgrades. I'm pretty sure the only time you see the Varia suit is when she's fighting Ridley and Mother Brain.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Too bad we won't get to see a Zelda or Metroid game with the graphical power of the 360 or PS3. It makes the child in me cry.
Because there will never be a successor to the Wii with graphical power even equal to the 360 or PS3.

I think video games were ruined for me by their fans.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

I continue to find it bizzare how nerds claim successive instalments to a series somehow ruins the games that came before it.

I'm skeptical this game will be good. The directions they're taking together look goofy to me.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Zablorg wrote:I continue to find it bizzare how nerds claim successive instalments to a series somehow ruins the games that came before it.

I'm skeptical this game will be good. The directions they're taking together look goofy to me.
I think it looks a lot like Ninja Gaiden. Frankly I think Metroid could use more action and less retarded puzzle elements in the series.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Richard Sharpe
Redshirt

Post by Richard Sharpe »

I find this to be lame of the highest calibur. I would much rather they keep the Metroid series in the hands of North American developers (It's more popular over here anyways) and keep making stuff like Prime.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I have mixed feelings about Retro's reassignment. On the one hand, they did great with Prime, but I'm curious to see what they can do independently, without the shadow of MP hanging over them like Geist.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

I don't see what the big deal is, frankly. People were screeching about how Prime would be the end of Metroid as we knew back when it was first announced, and look at how that turned out. Granted, Team Ninja is an...unexpected choice, but considering the director and how early it is, they should at least wait until there's something concrete before passing judgment.

Maybe I'm the wrong kind of Metroid fanboy, because I'm looking forward to this, if for no other reason that to see how Team Ninja handles it.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Darth Yoshi wrote:I don't see what the big deal is, frankly. People were screeching about how Prime would be the end of Metroid as we knew back when it was first announced, and look at how that turned out. Granted, Team Ninja is an...unexpected choice, but considering the director and how early it is, they should at least wait until there's something concrete before passing judgment.

Maybe I'm the wrong kind of Metroid fanboy, because I'm looking forward to this, if for no other reason that to see how Team Ninja handles it.
I'm intrigued, too: TN's pedigree is impressive, so they've earned the benefit of the doubt on this.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Anguirus wrote:Because there will never be a successor to the Wii with graphical power even equal to the 360 or PS3.
WHO THE FUCK CARES? The Wii was designed with gameplay in mind, not graphics. You wouldn't expect top-of-the-line graphics from a DS either. The whole thing is just a gigantic red herring, probably cause true gamerz can't understand why games with lesser graphics are successful, and they need something to whine about.

And the same applies to comments about how detailed Samus' armor is. So what if it is cartoonish and simplistic? You'll get used after a few minutes of gameplay (just as you'll get used to any graphics, good or bad) and stop caring. But bad gameplay is something you can't get used to.

I'm more concerned about this game being an unplayable mess than graphically lame (at least it's colorful), although if it doesn't meet my standards, I can simply not play it and go back to Super Metroid.
unsigned
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

I think it looks fun, but then my sole experience of Metroid comes from Metroid Prime 3 and, I think, a little demo of Super Metroid as one of the unlockables on Super Smash Bros: Brawl.

Right now, I feel rather liberated by that lack of prior experience. :)
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

LordOskuro wrote:
Anguirus wrote:Because there will never be a successor to the Wii with graphical power even equal to the 360 or PS3.
WHO THE FUCK CARES? The Wii was designed with gameplay in mind, not graphics. You wouldn't expect top-of-the-line graphics from a DS either. The whole thing is just a gigantic red herring, probably cause true gamerz can't understand why games with lesser graphics are successful, and they need something to whine about.
*ahem* I think your sarcasm detector is off.[/whisper]
Lord Woodlouse wrote:I think it looks fun, but then my sole experience of Metroid comes from Metroid Prime 3 and, I think, a little demo of Super Metroid as one of the unlockables on Super Smash Bros: Brawl.

Right now, I feel rather liberated by that lack of prior experience. :)
Nonetheless, you should check out Zero Mission ASAP.

Also, they're apparently going to re-release Prime 3... packaged with Wii versions of Primes 1 and 2.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

SAMAS wrote:*ahem* I think your sarcasm detector is off.[/whisper]
I wasn't snapping at you, I was just expanding my rant regarding that opinion among gamers :wink:
unsigned
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I haven't gotten around to finishing Primes 1 and 2 (I've actually made more progress in 2, for some reason). I got my Wii for the primary reason of playing Metroid Prime 3, and never got around to that, either. So if they release a version of Primes 1 and 2 for the Wii packaged with 3, I will be very happy. It's a pain in the ass to play with the GameCube controller on my Wii, since I stowed it up on the mantle by the TV, since I didn't need to connect controllers to it.
XXXI