New laptop freezes a ton.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

New laptop freezes a ton.

Post by CaptHawkeye »

So I bought a Gateway P7805 recently. I'd certainly love it more if it didn't freeze 1 minute into every game i've been trying to play on it.

Clearly their must be some kind of factory setting that i've missed and must be holding it back. Consistent scans have not shown any defects in the hardware and the physical memory use averages only about 50% during games. I've been using desktops all my life, so i'm wondering if their is some kind of setting this laptop virgin should know about.

Initially I suspected a wide difference between the desktop resolution (1024 X 680) was conflicting with the average game resolution setting around 1280 X 768. Setting them to equal has not stopped the freezing.
Best care anywhere.
AMT
Jedi Knight

Re: New laptop freezes a ton.

Post by AMT »

CaptHawkeye wrote:So I bought a Gateway P7805 recently. I'd certainly love it more if it didn't freeze 1 minute into every game i've been trying to play on it.

Clearly their must be some kind of factory setting that i've missed and must be holding it back. Consistent scans have not shown any defects in the hardware and the physical memory use averages only about 50% during games. I've been using desktops all my life, so i'm wondering if their is some kind of setting this laptop virgin should know about.

Initially I suspected a wide difference between the desktop resolution (1024 X 680) was conflicting with the average game resolution setting around 1280 X 768. Setting them to equal has not stopped the freezing.
Guessing this is for Computers and Gaming?
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Try again, different forum.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Shogoki
Jedi Knight

Post by Shogoki »

Hey, for starters, did you do a fresh reinstall of windows or take any other action to eliminate the OEM installed bloatware? If not, what are you waiting for? That's the first thing that needs to be taken care of as they cause about 98% of all problems in out of the box laptops.

Also, you want to download the latest drivers for your GPU, this is a bit harder for laptops than it is for desktops but even if drivers don't officially exist for your specific GPU you can usually find modded versions of the newest drivers for either nVidia or ATI chipsets.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

What are you talking about? The Nvidia website has drivers for every mobile chipset they've made for ages.

Frankly I have no idea why people who have new hardware do wierd shit just don't return it.

Oh wait, America has no consumer protection. LOL!
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

CaptHawkeye wrote:Consistent scans have not shown any defects in the hardware
What do you mean by 'consistent scans'? If there is a defect in the cooling system or the VRMs, it will not show up until the GPU has been running under heavy load for a while. Can you run benchmarks e.g. 3Dmark without having this problem?
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Stark wrote:
Frankly I have no idea why people who have new hardware do wierd shit just don't return it.
That's exactly what i'm going to do. I was wondering if somebody might have a ridiculously minor "oh lol just flip the xyz switch to ghc and it'll work" because laptop's are funky with power management. It doesn't look like that's it so i'm just going to return it today. Looks like I just got a lemon.
What do you mean by 'consistent scans'?
I mean the summoning of my nerd powers to diagnose the issues in the ship's computer core. I think we need a new one captain.
Best care anywhere.