Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Covenant
Sith Marauder

Re: Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

Post by Covenant »

Stark wrote:So hideous... so amusing everyone consistently fails to duplicate the featureset without breaking something. :)
Not to sidetrack, but I'm actually involved in a small, independant X-Com themed project at the moment. What features are the most important to duplicate, in general opinion?
Ohma
Jedi Knight

Post by Ohma »

Man, you could recreate the game mechanics, grossly imbalanced shit and all, while only really introducing higher resolution versions of the same sprites from the original game, and still be better than the majority of attempted remakes out there.
Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
GALE-Force: Guardians of Space!
"Rarr! Rargharghiss!" -Gorn
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Is it too late to jump in here? Either as a sniper or a second pilot once you get that other base up and running.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Frankly, X-COM is not all that great. It surely gets repetitive and horribly, horribly dull by the endgame. It's just nostalgia that keeps it going :D

EDIT: That said, sign me up for an interceptor pilot :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Covenant wrote: Not to sidetrack, but I'm actually involved in a small, independant X-Com themed project at the moment. What features are the most important to duplicate, in general opinion?
If you can't duplicate the featureset of a game made by 2 people fifteen years ago, you deserve everything you get. Just look at all the OTHER attempted UFO 'remakes' that have totally failed due to overemphasis on stupid crap like fanfiction or bad UI instead of actually getting the full tactical/strategic thing working before first release. Frankly I'd abandon the original UFO tactical thing because it's so broken and use another turn-based thing like that (even JA2 or Silent Storm is a million times better) but most UFO ripoffs can't even do the full geoscape stuff after YEARS of development.

Save time - make the Geoscape like Defcon. :) Don't release it half-finished with no research/radars not working/only one tactical map/etc. I know you've already looked at these games, but it really is pathetic how terrible they are.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

I'd say the game would end up being far from an X-Com remake, which is something that has already been done several times. X-Com had a lot of fun aspects, but it was hardly the first or the best game to ever use squads of men in a turn-based combat game. I'm not coding the thing either, but I'm doing most of the character sprites, so you can be sure they'll be of high quality.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

That's a much better approach to be honest. Anyone can think of ways to improve on UFO starting from the same premise, but making your own game saves you from the humiliation of being lamer than the Gollop brothers :)
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Minor update today.

Following the successful completion of our first UFO assault, X-COM High Command has issued an addendum to our standing orders:

Code: Select all

To: All X-COM personnel
Subject: Addendum to general orders

Blow the fuck out of those xenos bastards more. I want raining green giblets and raging firestorms, intermixed with the screams of the dying alien invaders, people.

Thought for the day: Do unto others.
Per this new general order, we have purchased additional rockets, high explosive ammunition, and a second HWP rocket tank, in order to maintain our current policy of blowing the snot out of our enemies. We are also considering the purchase of high explosive charges, for the use of our more, er, "exuberant" troops to carry into battle.

Recovery of UFO components has netted X-COM a substantial boost to our financial reserves; we have sold off samples of alien technology and corpses of the creatures called "sectoids" to various universities and governments to help fund our efforts. However, we are still holding on to a sample of each unique artifact recovered for research purposes.

In other news, Doctor Surlethe recently passed a report to us about a very beneficial scientific breakthrough.

With the new laser rifle design, we should be able to quickly replace our standard assault rifles with significantly more accurate and powerful weapons. In addition, our engineering team has finished construction of enough laser pistols to fully arm all of our active-duty troops. In addition to serving as an effective and lightweight sidearm for our heavy weapons troops, the laser pistol is highly suited for close combat; we should have no difficulty arming our close assault troops with both laser pistols and stun prods, though our alien containment facility is still not complete.

Doctor Surlethe has also given us additional good news: with the creation of a working model for a laser rifle, we also have the ability to design prototypes for a heavier support laser weapon. It is believed that creation of working models of this weapon will enable us to scale up our laser weaponry to vehicle-sized weaponry, allowing us to manufacture laser-equipped HWPs and laser cannons for aircraft - the latter of which are believed to have significant profitability. Our primary objective at this point should be getting out from under the heel of our limited finances.

Other than that, we have very little further to report, as

Aw, fuckberries.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

The Bear promptly asks to secure the base's labs. particularly the interrogation of alien life forms...

what, you haven't seen me probe a Septiod before?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
MJ12 Commando
Padawan Learner

Post by MJ12 Commando »

Stark wrote:No, it doesn't.

It certainly doesn't explain the terrible noise gauss weapons made or why their spot in the weapon balance stakes were so terrible.
The problem with gauss weapons was that they were just as rebalanced in comparison with the other weapons (discarding the outliers), in a game where all the weapons, with the three exceptions of the Blaster Bomb, the Heavy Cannon and the Alien Grenade, were made 200% more terrible. This was only compounded by enemies (and your squaddies, incidentally), getting armor that was more front-canted (and the aliens generally would get hit by front shots) so they could soak up more fire.

Oh yeah, and instead of psychic doom Ethereals you got the Invincible Fricking Lobstermen. It's great when you get it, good for most of the other game and in my experience when you start facing enemies who aren't vulnerable to it you rack up enough DPL and thermal shock ammo (Since everyone and their dog has the first in the lategame underwater) to replace it with DPL spotter-artillerystrike tactics. Above water there really wasn't much that could kill you in ion or magnetic ion armor, so you could in theory just thermic lance or grenade everyone in the face above water, charging around like a maniac.

EDIT-I forgot the other weapons that weren't made terrible: The grenades and the stun rod.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Plasma Grenades were good enough vs Aliens in X-COM.
Sonic Pulsars were just brutal, since the Aliens in TFTD learned to use them to wipe out the Triton on landing. I've lost multiple transports on deployment due to the aliens getting wise and grenading the transport's blind starboard side :P

TBH, the Giant Drills in TFTD were nice though. But god help you, they nerfed the pistol and rifle to make the dart gun and harpoon rifle. Yuck :P
The Yosemite Bear

anyone ever play Interceptor?

you kinow X-com meets X-Wing?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:anyone ever play Interceptor?

you kinow X-com meets X-Wing?
That's a hard game. It's the only Flight Sim I've played where my Wingmen consistantly outscore me until we start packing more absurd weapons.
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

In character: "Sir, you asked me to bring the UFO down, and in one piece. It was down, and in one piece. I did what you told me to." :lol:

Out of character - the Large radar should have been put to the left of the General Stores, rather than next to the lift. I am assuming you plan on eventually building two new Hangars on the top row, and deleting the two on the bottom row, to make sure the enemy can only enter through the access lift.

Didn't remember - do you have Alien Containment built, or did you want to research the first alien corpses to simulate needing biological data (this would be a nice tweak to X-Com, where you need an alien corpse researched before you can build Alien Containment).
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Coalition wrote: Out of character - the Large radar should have been put to the left of the General Stores, rather than next to the lift. I am assuming you plan on eventually building two new Hangars on the top row, and deleting the two on the bottom row, to make sure the enemy can only enter through the access lift.
Pretty much, yeah. Base security is low on my priorities right now, as retaliation doesn't happen often in the first few months. That and its more interesting trying to defend a base that isn't a rock-solid fortress. Hangar rennovations will occur either in February or March, when we get the money. Our financial situation isn't that great, though we should get a heap of sellable artifacts from the terror attack.

Assuming anyone survives.
Didn't remember - do you have Alien Containment built, or did you want to research the first alien corpses to simulate needing biological data (this would be a nice tweak to X-Com, where you need an alien corpse researched before you can build Alien Containment).
That's because, uh, we're also short on cash too >.> A good hunk of our change this month went to hiring scientists and grabbing a second HWP, as well as that Large Radar Array. Alien Containment, like the hangars, is probably going to go up later this month or in February.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Yeah, bugger it, sign me up as one of the engineers.

As for the starting base, I've found building nothing on the third row down, and moving the hangars up and the living quarters down does wonders for the base's defensibility - prox grenade spam and cross fire really buggers up the entrance after that.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Mind if I join in as a marksman of some sort?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
The Yosemite Bear

I will come along once you have the alien containment units up.

I shall be your sadistic evil alien torturer.

Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

Looks like you are lacking in regular boots, so give me one of those fancy new lasers, plenty of grenades and put me down as a rifleman.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Oh, I didn't mean some sort of special marksman relative to the rest. These guys are drawn from the worlds best, though, are they not? So I'm a world-class marksman, but I'm just another set of boots here.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Commander Wong settled into his chair as the platoon attached to Skynerfed filed into the briefing room. His eyes scanned the newly promoted sergeants, their rank chevrons apparent on their gray uniforms. the NCOs seemed a bit out of place, surprised to have been promoted so quickly, but Wong recognized talent, or at least competence. After the near-debacle that followed storming the UFO a week previously, he was reconsidering his troops' tendencies to dual-wild assault rifles and stun prods.

Half the platoon was not present; they were already on board the Skyranger and en route to the target area. However, it was prudent to brief the rest of the men as well, especially if the deployed team suffered an acute case of death.

The men picked out their chairs, with the cadre of MJ12s taking up one wall of seats. Once everyone was in the room, Wong nodded, tapping a control on his desk, and the lights dimmed. This briefing would be transmitted to the men on the Skyranger as well.

"This briefing will be quick," he said. "As you have noted, we just went on alert ten minutes ago. Our Skyranger and first squad in en route to the target area." The screen behind him lit up, to show a map of eastern Russia. A single blip, an urban center, was highlighted.

"This is the city of Novosibirsk, in the middle of Siberia. It is medium-sized and utterly unremarkable except that it is very cold and it is currently being razed by alien forces."

Wong waited for the surprised rumblings among the troops to die down.

"The aliens are targeting civilians in particular. We believe they are trying to incite panic and fear in both the civilian populace and in the government, probably to sabotage our efforts. Fortunately, their targeted area is small and they appear to be attacking the ass end of nowhere. This should be easy to contain. We are currently liaising with the Russian military to cordon off the affected area."

He tapped a couple more keys.

"Russian air defense detected a vessel of roughly this size and configuration approaching the area. It buzzed the city and then took off."

"We believe the aliens launching this operation intended for this to be a suicide run, killing as many civilians as possible before their raiding units were wiped out, either by us or the local military and police. We will oblige them. And first squad? Remember our basic rule of engagement."

Code: Select all

Alien Terror Mission
Squadron: Rhoenix, White Haven, MJ12-1, Decue, Guppyshark, Ohma, Weemadando, Heavy Zablorg, Vendetta, Karza
HWP Rocket: Piloted by Hawkwings
This was our first deployment with laser weaponry standard across the squad. Ohma, GuppyShark, Rhoenix, and Weemadando all carried the new laser rifles, and everyone else packed laser pistols. Let's see how they stack up.

The squad landed in a clear lot on one end of the area the aliens were operating in. Hawkwings took the lead....

And met a weird floaty alien we hadn't encountered yet.

Weird floaty aliens die all the same.

As the squad disembarked, a second floaty alien was spotted in a shed to the north.

Events transpired as expected.

Another alien was spotted by Sergeant Zablorg as s/he cut across a gas station. Once more our crack marksmanship pulled through as we valiantly missed about twenty shots at the big, stupid floating thing. However, we did give the gas pumps, the asphalt, and at least two civilians a good seeing to. Finally, White Haven got it with a rocket. And by "got it" I mean "hit the fuel pump it was standing beside and lit up the entire gas station."

Meanwhile....

Ohma tagged another one in the middle of the street with a beautiful aimed headshot. Hawkwings tried to hit it before, and missed with his rocket, probably killing a dozen or so Russian troops cordoning off the area when it careened off into nowhere. Oops.

The squad fanned out to secure the area.

While scouting, Hawkwings spotted this thing. It was big, it was mean, it was hungry...

....but faced with our awesome skull-shaped explosions, it was meat.

Decue, meanwhile, unloaded down a side alley, nailing both another of the big bipedal eating machines and another floater.

Weemadando (now promoted to sergeant) picked off another that the flying clouds of agonizing shrapnel missed.

Karza moved up to flank the area while clouds of high explosive death were being whipped about, and jumped a third floater, distracted by the high-velocity gibbing of its buddies.

THIS! IS! X-COM!

Meanwhile, MJ12-1 and Vendetta cleared a nearby convenience store and jumped another floater. MJ12-1 used his laser pistol to blow a hole that allowed Vendetta to hit the floater with his/her own.

Meanwhile, Hawkwings, Weemadando, Decue, White Haven, Guppyshark, and the most beautiful Zablorg blew the everloving shit out of this other convenience store to get at the floater hiding behind it. It was a psychotic orgy of high explosives, grenades, autocannon shells, and laser death that practically leveled the building. After two rounds of unloading like crazy on this store, we finally got the bastard.

Then, Hawkwings' tank got flanked and blown to hell. RAGE!

It isn't shown here, but that bunch of wrecked terrain and smoke in the middle? That was another of those bipedal eaty things. Decue wrecked its shit so hard s/he vaporized the body. That floater in the building was hit by splash damage after Ohma and Guppyshark blew out the wall.

And with that, mission complete. There was some collateral damage, but that's to be expected. We only leveled half the city, anyway.

PROMOTIONS!

X-COM High Command has decided to reward White Haven's expertise at reducing everything around him to a smooth glassy texture by promoting him to captain. Karza also gets a boost and about two inches of beard for taking down a floater with a stun prod, though the bugger had to be put down permanently as we didn't have a containment facility built.

Post mission analysis: Hawkwings once gain rocked the house, though we're taking away his booze as it apparently cost us a whole friggin' tank. Apparently, the floater that killed it was just using a plasma pistol too. What the hell. In other news, the convenience stores and gas stations of the world tremble at our awesome firepower. Pretty much everyone got a kill, or at least managed to inflict copious amounts of property damage, which is all good. Decue gets a special commendation for ripping shit up with his/her autocannon. Two reapers and a floater, plus about 35% of that convenience store fell to his/her high explosive death.

The shocking lack of casualties (aside from that fuckall expensive tank) was likely due to a combination of the fact that most of the combat occurred at long range and we plastered every alien we saw with massive amounts of high explosive. Most of the floaters were carrying pistols, and the reapers were useless at any range other than melee, which gave us a massive range advantage.

Next update, we finish January, get a fresh injection of funds, and hopefully no one else dies.

GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Ryan Thunder wrote:Oh, I didn't mean some sort of special marksman relative to the rest. These guys are drawn from the worlds best, though, are they not? So I'm a world-class marksman, but I'm just another set of boots here.
You've clearly not played the game. I used to waste all my cash recruiting and sacking recruits to try and get some with acceptable firearms skills. I will admit I never tried the "BLOW UP THE OCEAN" technique, which seems to mitigate the accuracy concerns. But then I was like, ten years old at the time the game was released.

I'm pleased Guppyshark is packing a laser rifle. It's what I used to give my troopies.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

GuppyShark wrote:
Ryan Thunder wrote:Oh, I didn't mean some sort of special marksman relative to the rest. These guys are drawn from the worlds best, though, are they not? So I'm a world-class marksman, but I'm just another set of boots here.
You've clearly not played the game. I used to waste all my cash recruiting and sacking recruits to try and get some with acceptable firearms skills. I will admit I never tried the "BLOW UP THE OCEAN" technique, which seems to mitigate the accuracy concerns. But then I was like, ten years old at the time the game was released.

I'm pleased Guppyshark is packing a laser rifle. It's what I used to give my troopies.
The "BLOW UP THE OCEAN" technique is usually the best. I always used to try to be accurate, responsible and all that, but usually after about 3 rounds of failing to come within a 45 degree arc of the target with aimed laser rifle fire from 8 guys, I resorted to tactics like the convenience store above.

And congratulations team - however, the home team is still behind on the collateral damage front. 3-2? That's not good enough. I want stray rockets to hit orphanages, not the cordon a few kms away.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

weemadando wrote:
GuppyShark wrote:

The "BLOW UP THE OCEAN" technique is usually the best. I always used to try to be accurate, responsible and all that, but usually after about 3 rounds of failing to come within a 45 degree arc of the target with aimed laser rifle fire from 8 guys, I resorted to tactics like the convenience store above.
It gets better when you get Blaster Bombs.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those guys who hoards resources, so even when I've got thirty-odd Blaster Bombs and seven hundred E-115 for manufacturing I usually hold them in reserve and only use them when I absolutely must.

Hell, I usually don't even use my Avengers unless I'm up against a Battleship, because Avengers eat up E-115. But I'm always horribly conservative in strategy games anyway.
And congratulations team - however, the home team is still behind on the collateral damage front. 3-2? That's not good enough. I want stray rockets to hit orphanages, not the cordon a few kms away.
:)

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

GuppyShark wrote:
You've clearly not played the game.
I have, in fact. It was my understanding that XCOM was an international operation responsible for, oh, defending the world from extraterrestrial invaders. The tactical game mechanics are just stupid in that regard.
I used to waste all my cash recruiting and sacking recruits to try and get some with acceptable firearms skills. I will admit I never tried the "BLOW UP THE OCEAN" technique, which seems to mitigate the accuracy concerns. But then I was like, ten years old at the time the game was released.
Oh, ditto. The end of turn screen used to give me nightmares. XD

It isn't like I had any idea what the hell I was actually doing, of course. :P

Oh, and holy shit: you pulled off a counter-terror mission without suffering significant casualties. What the fuck? Last time I did pretty much what you did, and lost something like half the team before the end of it. :?