Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

fnord
Jedi Knight

Re: Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

Post by fnord »

I believe Academia and myself will drink to that.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Darmalus wrote:I'm all for hurtling myself at high speed in a flying device built by someone who can't pass a sobriety test at any point during the day, sign me up!
You're not required to pass a sobriety test to pilot the interceptors, either.

Because seriously, who would climb into one of those things sober? :P
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Peptuck wrote:
Darmalus wrote:I'm all for hurtling myself at high speed in a flying device built by someone who can't pass a sobriety test at any point during the day, sign me up!

I think we have 1 pilot who does that, but he's clinically insane so it doesn't matter.

or was that me and transport, damn cybernetics are messing with my memory.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Newly Deployed: Muton Annihilator: Appears Sufficient. Suggest Immediate: Firepower Upgrade.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Peptuck wrote:

Well, I'm a teatotaller. Not sure if it doesn't qualify under the "clinically insane" label, though.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

PeZook wrote:
Peptuck wrote:

Well, I'm a teatotaller. Not sure if it doesn't qualify under the "clinically insane" label, though.
You willingly, knowingly, and not under the influence of alcohol or any other drug, climb into a hypersonic aerospace craft built by the lowest bidder and take it into mortal combat with something that can carve wet-naval battleships up like oversize reinforced tin cans?

You're not just sober, you're knurd - a few drinks short of sobriety. And on a new level of clinical insanity. First, there was the DSM-IV. Now, we need the DSM-PEZOOK.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Heck, I pilot those tanks by remote control and even I need to be sufficiently drunk to fight xenos scum!
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

hey I'm just clinically insane, but then again I only talk to aliens we hold captive, excuse me, I have some greys in a stress position I need to talk with....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Only the insane are strong enough to prosper. Those who prosper define insanity.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
The Yosemite Bear

man iz a thread sapnning the abyss between zee beast and zee superman. (shoves cybernetic right hand down to avoid making a politically incorrect salute.)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

sanity is for the weak?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
CaiusWickersham
Padawan Learner

Post by CaiusWickersham »

Okay, I know it's late in the game, but if there's any opening in the ground troop department, could I get in on that? Any position, doesn't matter.
MatSci
Redshirt

Post by MatSci »

God-dammit. Now I have to go find my X-com disks, a Floppy drive, and Dosbox. Curse YOU!
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Well, since the thread was necro'd, a status update might be useful.

I've been meaning to work on an update, but that last Muton base assault basically Falcon Punched me in the crotch. 75% of the team was regularly killed within the first two turns by Blaster Bombs. I finally ragequit after the whole team was slaughtered like that about fifty times over, and I can't even look at my X-COM folder without feeling a brutal sense of crushing despair.

But I shall fight on! I will post another update, sometime this year!
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

See, the challenge would be winning after losing that battle, and writing up the astounding difficulty therein. Could actually be an interesting chapter in this LP. :)
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

MatSci wrote:God-dammit. Now I have to go find my X-com disks, a Floppy drive, and Dosbox. Curse YOU!
LOL. I love people like you. Go hunt for those disks, boy! :lol: Plug in that useless floppy drive!
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Stark wrote:
MatSci wrote:God-dammit. Now I have to go find my X-com disks, a Floppy drive, and Dosbox. Curse YOU!
LOL. I love people like you. Go hunt for those disks, boy! :lol: Plug in that useless floppy drive!
Hey man, my floppy drive is still installed. I used to have a zip drive in this thing too.
The Yosemite Bear

puh-lease it's ungodly cheap on Steam, which includes dosbox.

CaiusWickersham
Padawan Learner

Post by CaiusWickersham »

It's also over at Direct2Drive for the same price. I think Gamer's Gate also has it.
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

I want to hear more about kicking ass like I did back on page 25.

Or was I plastered to a wall somewhere and I didn't see? At either rate, tea-bagging, for great justice!

Maybe I need to pick this game up.
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Arise from the dead X-COM, we've still got work to do!
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.