Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Black Mesa Source nears release PostPosted: 2008-12-05 11:31pm
Sith Devotee

Man, I can't wait to play it and get to the point where Xen sucks all of the fun out of the game. Fucking Xen. And don't think I've forgotten about that factory level either. Who the hell puts conveyors full of mincy things on top of huge towers? What has to smashed up there that can't be smashed closer to the ground? And are we going to fight those spazzy assassin chicks too? The source engine can make their black leather super shiny.

プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。

Post subject: Re: Black Mesa Source nears release PostPosted: 2008-12-06 03:39am
Jedi Knight

I don't remember a lameass factory...

I do remember Residue Lame Platform Puzzle level though, that sucked. So did a lot of Xen, and fighting the fucking ninja...lousy stupid "oh you totally can't hit me because I liek, jump and shit lol".

Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
GALE-Force: Guardians of Space!
"Rarr! Rargharghiss!" -Gorn

Post subject: Re: Black Mesa Source nears release PostPosted: 2008-12-06 05:24am
Sith Apprentice

I remember using the shotgun against them a lot. Also used the gauss rifle to nail them through crates a few times.

But yeah, Xen... lot of bad memories there. Wonder how they'll do with the enhancing of it.

A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF

Post subject: Re: Black Mesa Source nears release PostPosted: 2008-12-06 09:47am
Jedi Council Member

I never actually made it to Xen. I kind of lost interest when I couldn't get past opposing force troops on the surface, and started playing CS and Diablo2 instead. Since then I've played through HL2 and the episodes, so it's kind of hard to go back to the original with such a downgrade in visuals.

My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"

Post subject: Re: Black Mesa Source nears release PostPosted: 2008-12-06 11:21am
Sith Acolyte

VF5SS wrote:
Man, I can't wait to play it and get to the point where Xen sucks all of the fun out of the game. Fucking Xen. And don't think I've forgotten about that factory level either. Who the hell puts conveyors full of mincy things on top of huge towers? What has to smashed up there that can't be smashed closer to the ground? And are we going to fight those spazzy assassin chicks too? The source engine can make their black leather super shiny.

The models for those assassin are already available on the website.

People debate against me, to help me.

Still having a huge problem with reflex posting. Got to think twice before posting a reply and creating a thread :banghead:

Post subject: Re: Black Mesa Source nears release PostPosted: 2008-12-08 04:25am
Jedi Master

ray245 wrote:

Aw jeez they've got Aperture Science Cybernetic Jumpy Legs!

Saquist demonstrates his deep understanding of astrophysics
"Neutron stars will pulse after a time (serval thousand years after forming) because of the gathering of energy and matter."
Saquist on SW Canon:
"It's negated because every scene plays out the same way with nary of Meganon explosion btween a fighter and a Death Star."

Post subject: Re: Black Mesa Source nears release PostPosted: 2008-12-08 05:46pm
Jedi Knight

Darwin wrote:
ray245 wrote:

Aw jeez they've got Aperture Science Cybernetic Jumpy Legs!

I rather like that they gave the assassins the Aperture Science Cybernetic Jumpy Legs, gives them a connection to the rest of the larger Half Life world.

I'm looking forward to seeing if they included a lot of details. Documents with odd looking things on them, humorous posters, NPCs going about their lives, etc. I love that stuff.

Post subject: Re: Black Mesa Source nears release PostPosted: 2012-10-15 08:07pm
Jedi Knight

So one of those Steam pop-ups telling me what my friends are playing popped up and made me do a double take.

Black Mesa is live

Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.

Post subject: Re: Black Mesa Source nears release PostPosted: 2012-10-15 08:24pm
Sith Marauder

Jaepheth wrote:
So one of those Steam pop-ups telling me what my friends are playing popped up and made me do a double take.

Black Mesa is live

Holy necro, Jaepheth.

More recent thread is here.

Post subject: Re: Black Mesa Source nears release PostPosted: 2012-10-15 08:35pm
Jedi Knight

Terralthra wrote:
Jaepheth wrote:

Black Mesa is live

Holy necro, Jaepheth.

More recent thread is here.

Sorry, I skimmed over that one after searching because it specified "soundtrack" in the title. :oops:

Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.

Post subject: Re: Black Mesa Source nears release PostPosted: 2012-10-17 04:11am
Jedi Council Member

Same with Dishonored, which has no real technical gimmicks worth mentioning, but it looks absolutely stunning in the design/art department. It's the Unreal engine btw.

And thanks to that, the game works excellent on even a dated PC, in highest settings with hd resolution.

My wife's photography site

Post subject: Re: Black Mesa Source nears release PostPosted: 2012-10-17 04:24am
Jedi Council Member

Also, I've played the mod when it was in the pre-zen stages and it didn't really appeal to me.

It's like everything is there, but they missed out on some crucial ingredients that made HL1 so good. It's a good mod/remake, but it's down to details: sound isn't as good as it was (they recorded their own voiceovers, didn't use anything from the old game), especially weapon sounds. Also, levels seem a bit shorter and maybe a bit dumbed down - no real sense of exploring a huge hidden research base under alien attack. So no real sense of accomplishment.

Also, soldiers in HL1 seemed much more aggressive and formidable.

My wife's photography site