Wii disc drive noise problem

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Wild Karrde
Jedi Knight

Wii disc drive noise problem

Post by Wild Karrde »

Recently (about a day ago) my console started doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqpu-vLYRKU

It hasn't scratched any of my games (yet) but that's what I'm afraid of, that it will just get worse until it actually does start scratching up my games. So here are my options:

1. If the problem is what I think it is it seems simple enough to fix on my own. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D36DXpFNl9E

2. Or I can ship it back to Nintendo for $75 which would cover repair, new console shell, buttons, and give me a new one year warranty on it.

The thing is I already had to send it back a little over a year ago due to the graphics card fucking up and dying. (had this problem happened a little less than a month ago I'd still be under warranty from the first repair and this new problem would've been covered.)

So... what to do?
GALE FORCE/BOTM member and all around forum lurker.Image
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: Wii disc drive noise problem

Post by General Zod »

Mine started making that noise for awhile when I first got Metroid Prime 3. It eventually managed to go away on its own.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Mine did that once during MP3. I thought it was just the drive straining while it loaded lots of stuff - it went away when I ejected the disc and out it back in.
Grand Lord Revan
Redshirt

Post by Grand Lord Revan »

Mine does that noise too. I was worried too, but I haven't noticed any problems... yet, and I got it on day one.
(Leaning in the shadows, stepping forward, a Hooded, Caped, Cloaked Figure with a silver aura about him reveals himself. A Genius, vigilante, a fighter, and near-peerless tactical officer and giftred leader. A grey Jedi swordsmaster whose mastery Rivals even the Original Revan-- Me)