World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Since the last thread is nearing 10 pages, I thought a new thread might be a good idea. Things are getting crazy, and last night the Lich King attacked Stormwind Harbor. Who knows what's coming next, but I'll be finding out when I get my copy at midnight tonight.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

Post by Lord Revan »

I'm gonna get my copy as I wake up tomorrow.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I might or might not get mine. I'll try a friend's out to see what changed from Beta to Live and see if it's worth it. Death Knight is kinda neat, but overall I am going to be keeping gear for very long on two characters, which is kinda disheartening.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Australia has a delayed launch, so I am picking it up this evening at midnight.

Looking to get my main to 80 ASAP so we can start knocking over Naxx.

I'm very happy to be going into an expansion as an enchanter. While most people will be vendoring the quest rewards, I'll be sharding them! ^^
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Lich King attacked Stormwind Harbor

Damn, I somehow manage to miss these things! Is the Lich King the reason the in-game mail system got fucked, too?

I'm scheduled to get my copy around 10 am when the local Best Buy opens. They're not doing the midnight thing.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Details, Chewie? I also feel bad for missing a big one-time-only in-game event. :(
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Steve wrote:Details, Chewie? I also feel bad for missing a big one-time-only in-game event. :(
The attack is ongoing (last night to this morning). There's level 71 elite mobs which have wicked ranged 'flying chain' attacks, and there's a crapload of flying ice-dragon critters freezing everything in sight. The King of Stormwind himself is directing the battle from the upper battlements.
ImageImage
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I'm buying it tomorrow night. First think I'm doing is rolling a Female Gnome Death Knight with pink Bubble Gum pony tail hair, and spamming emotes! :mrgreen:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Rahvin
Jedi Knight

Post by Rahvin »

Anybody going to a midnight release in Sacramento? My girlfriend and I are picking up our copies tonight at the Arden Fair Gamestop.

It's going to be sleepless nights for the rest of the week...Can't decide whether to level one of my 70s to 80 first or to hit up a Death Knight.
"You were doing OK until you started to think."
-ICANT, creationist from evcforum.net
Ayrix
Youngling

Post by Ayrix »

Getting mine tonight, and Ill be damned if I act responsible and not stay up way too late playing it.
Aeolus
Jedi Master

Post by Aeolus »

Broomstick wrote:The Lich King attacked Stormwind Harbor

Damn, I somehow manage to miss these things! Is the Lich King the reason the in-game mail system got fucked, too?

I'm scheduled to get my copy around 10 am when the local Best Buy opens. They're not doing the midnight thing.
Thralls duel in Ogrimaar was cooler than the attack on Stormwind
For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,
Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;
Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails,
Pilots of the purple twilight dropping down with costly bales;
Heard the heavens fill with shouting, and there rain'd a ghastly dew
From the nations' airy navies grappling in the central blue;
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

What happened in Orgrimmar?
ImageImage
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Thrall is in the middle of a discussion with Grom Hellscram's son, while Sylvannas watches.

Hellscream wants to attack Northrend, Sylvannas wants to attack Northrend, and Thrall wants to send scouts and talk to Jaina Proudmoore to see what the Alliance is up to.... So Hellscream calls him a coward, and they both step into the arena and beat the crap out of each other.

The fight is interrupted by the same invading forces as in Stormwind (with the stellar appearance of the all-female Tauren "Orgrimmar Defenders"), and after it is won, Thrall agrees to attack Northrend.

Some edited pics for your leisure:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Now, a funny thing I've seen, is that Orgrimmar guards will insult and threathen Death Knight players. Essentially, a DK walked past me in OG, and the guards said the following gems:

"Someone GET ME A ROPE"
"How dare you set foot in our city"
Orgrimmar Grunt throws rotten banana at <player name>

Wonder how will it work when the expected avalanche of DKs comes prancing about. Will the guards be banned for spamming? :)
unsigned
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

well those guard emotes are only part of the last DK starting quest IIRC, not something the guards would say everytime a Death Knight is near.

what I liked about the Orgrimmar attack event was that the named NPCs seem alot more active, in SW until Varian goes berserk he does hardy anything, where as in Orgrimmar the "problem" was getting any kills between Thrall, Hellscream, Sylvanas and Saurfang senior going all out on the scourge,
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Lord Revan wrote:well those guard emotes are only part of the last DK starting quest IIRC, not something the guards would say everytime a Death Knight is near.
No idea, I haven't played a DK yet, I was just standing around OG minding my bussiness.

And yes, it's hard to kill anything with those monsters (the Horde leaders) running around. One thing I like is how, while the orcs are running about, Sylvannas just walks calmly, pulling out her bow when the need arises.
One thing I dislike is the abscence of Cairne. Maybe they thought making all the OG Defender Snipers as Tauren females would compensate?
unsigned
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

LordOskuro wrote:Thrall is in the middle of a discussion with Grom Hellscram's son, while Sylvannas watches.

Hellscream wants to attack Northrend, Sylvannas wants to attack Northrend, and Thrall wants to send scouts and talk to Jaina Proudmoore to see what the Alliance is up to.... So Hellscream calls him a coward, and they both step into the arena and beat the crap out of each other.
I love Thrall I really do. Only the Gnome King could come close to the sheer awesomenance of they way they made Thrall;

'No, launching a full scale assault on Northrend blindly now would be foolish. We have no idea of the Terrain, the local powers and how - if at all - receptive they would be to us, we don't know what the Alliance are doing and I'm loathe to send forces North if it would mean weakening our grasp and defenses both here and in Outland. We must proceed with deliberate caution and not give into our base, rash instincts.'

'Coward.'

'I'm gonna FUCK YOU UP motherfucker!' ORC SMASH!

:lol:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Got the disk, installing now. See you all in 12 hours!
ImageImage
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Got my copy, got it installed. See you later! Time to fill my brain with the sounds of juicy combat and snow! I wonder if a zeplin can be overloaded? Those goblins sure don't post any weight limits.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

I set the game to install this morning while I got ready for class, figure I'll play a bit this evening and somehow balance gameplay and two papers without my fiancee killing me.

Would've LOVED if this expansion had dropped a month later. *sigh*
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Maxentius
Padawan Learner

Post by Maxentius »

I got release day delivery from Amazon, so my copy should be waiting when I get home from work.
Rome is an eternal thought in the mind of God... If there were no Rome, I'd dream of her.
--Marcus Licinius Crassus, Spartacus.

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Proptip: If you have a choice between going to Howling Fjord, and Borean Tundra, choose Fjord. Its absolutely beautiful.
ImageImage
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

unsigned
Rahvin
Jedi Knight

Post by Rahvin »

Death Knight opening questline = win. I wish the rest of the game was so well done. I actually enjoy reading the quest text and feel involved in the story, and Blizzard gives the illusion that the world is actually changing as a result of my actions - a difficult feat in an MMO (and admittedly not something they could really duplicate in a more normal zone).
"You were doing OK until you started to think."
-ICANT, creationist from evcforum.net
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I went to the launch last night with a friend because, while I don't play WoW, I had a preorder on ToS:DotNW I wanted to score and also nailed Blast Works. I was pretty surprised at how calm the crowd was at the mall, it was a nice change of pace from the PS3 launch two years ago. They laughed when I told them I wanted ToS and not WoW, but were amiable regardless.

Also, the music they play in malls is really depressing when you're wandering through completely by yourself.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

The death knight introduction is pretty goddamned epic. Finally got to Stormwind and I've killed so many Scarlet Fuckheads. I'm not sure which character to continue on with; the Death Knight is superb, but I love my 'lock and her demons too.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus