Google World Domination step #4: "Computer Navy"

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Google World Domination step #4: "Computer Navy"

Post by Bounty »

Times Online wrote:Google may take its battle for global domination to the high seas with the launch of its own “computer navy”.

The company is considering deploying the supercomputers necessary to operate its internet search engines on barges anchored up to seven miles (11km) offshore.

The “water-based data centres” would use wave energy to power and cool their computers, reducing Google’s costs. Their offshore status would also mean the company would no longer have to pay property taxes on its data centres, which are sited across the world, including in Britain.

In the patent application seen by The Times, Google writes: “Computing centres are located on a ship or ships, anchored in a water body from which energy from natural motion of the water may be captured, and turned into electricity and/or pumping power for cooling pumps to carry heat away.”

The increasing number of data centres necessary to cope with the massive information flows generated on popular websites has prompted companies to look at radical ideas to reduce their running costs.

The supercomputers housed in the data centres, which can be the size of football pitches, use massive amounts of electricity to ensure they do not overheat. As a result the internet is not very green.

Data centres consumed 1 per cent of the world’s electricity in 2005. By 2020 the carbon footprint of the computers that run the internet will be larger than that of air travel, a recent study by McKinsey, a consultancy firm, and the Uptime Institute, a think tank, predicted.

In an attempt to address the problem, Microsoft has investigated building a data centre in the cold climes of Siberia, while in Japan the technology firm Sun Microsystems plans to send its computers down an abandoned coal mine, using water from the ground as a coolant. Sun said it could save $9 million (£5 million) of electricity costs a year and use half the power the data centre would have required if it was at ground level.

Technology experts said Google’s “computer navy” was an unexpected but clever solution. Rich Miller, the author of the datacentreknowledge.com blog, said: “It’s really innovative, outside-the-box thinking.”

Google refused to say how soon its barges could set sail. The company said: “We file patent applications on a variety of ideas. Some of those ideas later mature into real products, services or infrastructure, some don’t.”

Concerns have been raised about whether the barges could withstand an event such as a hurricane. Mr Miller said: “The huge question raised by this proposal is how to keep the barges safe.”
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

So what happens if a hurricane hits?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

General Zod wrote:So what happens if a hurricane hits?
Quoth the server, 404?
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

This? :P

In seriousness, I assume they'd have land-based backups.
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

Um...just move the ships? I didn't think that moving a supertanker would be that big of a deal...
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Pretty awesome. Though I wonder how the "Google is evil!" people will react, since they're having fits over Chrome now.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Bounty wrote:
Quoth the server, 404?
How do the servers communicate with everything else anyway? Are they REALLY going to run a cable out there or would it be a satalite feed and wouldn't taht be a huge bottleneck?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Themightytom wrote: How do the servers communicate with everything else anyway? Are they REALLY going to run a cable out there or would it be a satalite feed and wouldn't taht be a huge bottleneck?
You realize we already have several miles of internet cable under the ocean already right?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
lukexcom
Padawan Learner
Location: Ah, Northern Virginia. The lone island of stability in an ocean of recession.

Post by lukexcom »

General Zod wrote:
Themightytom wrote: How do the servers communicate with everything else anyway? Are they REALLY going to run a cable out there or would it be a satalite feed and wouldn't taht be a huge bottleneck?
You realize we already have several miles of internet cable under the ocean already right?
While the ship is moored to one spot, the cables would work fine. But if the ships need to be moved significant distances, like in your hurricane scenario, then the fiber-optic cables would have to be disconnected and dropped back to the sea floor. You won't want to be dragging cable for tens if not hundreds of miles across the bottom of the sea floor while the ship is avoiding said hurricane.

The ships would have to have a device that can quickly locate the end of the fiber-optic cable, and drag it up to the surface. The closer the ships stay to shore, the easier the job is.

But really, you might as well build a bunch of land-based data centers by the shoreline of, say, New England or Seattle with wave power generators close by, and a water pump to pump in the water from the Ocean.

Unless the ability to have your data centers beyond the reach of law is important enough that it's worth spending hundreds of millions of dollars in acquiring and maintaining the ships and specialized technology to regularly locate, connect, and disconnect sea-floor fiber-optic cables, whenever the ships need to move from their stations. Not to mention the myriad of other administrative and operational costs, such as the personnel to operate the ships.

Frankly it seems to me that the overall costs to set up and run this would be too high to bother with.
-Luke
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

It's not like Google has to move to an all-databarge system; they could retain land-based datacenters in areas where the climate makes the databarge infeasible.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
lukexcom
Padawan Learner
Location: Ah, Northern Virginia. The lone island of stability in an ocean of recession.

Post by lukexcom »

Uraniun235 wrote:It's not like Google has to move to an all-databarge system; they could retain land-based datacenters in areas where the climate makes the databarge infeasible.
True, although then with even fewer barges, they would be losing out from economies of scale.

To compensate, spin off this concept into a subsidiary and market it as a databarge construction, operations, and maintenance service. They (edit: the customers) place their existing computer infrastructure and datacenter personnel on it, while this subsidiary takes care of everything else: barge operations, maintenance, etc.
-Luke
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

How will they be able to avoid property taxes? 7 miles is well within territorial waters :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

PeZook wrote:How will they be able to avoid property taxes? 7 miles is well within territorial waters :D
The various countries that have them within their borders will be in a perpeptual state of being slightly invaded.
:D
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

PeZook wrote:How will they be able to avoid property taxes? 7 miles is well within territorial waters :D
Do you pay property taxes on boats? They're vehicles, aren't they?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Bounty wrote: Do you pay property taxes on boats? They're vehicles, aren't they?
I suppose it depends on local regulations,but I'm pretty sure they will have to pay something, even if it's called "mooring fees" :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Pretty awesome. Though I wonder how the "Google is evil!" people will react, since they're having fits over Chrome now.
People who think Google are saints are pipe-dreaming anal retentive morons.

I'm interested in the security precautions around these ships however.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

PeZook wrote:
Bounty wrote: Do you pay property taxes on boats? They're vehicles, aren't they?
I suppose it depends on local regulations,but I'm pretty sure they will have to pay something, even if it's called "mooring fees" :D
I'm guessing that "mooring fees" (whatever the hell those are for a ship that just sits off the coast) will probably be significantly less than the property taxes on a datacenter; datacenters tend to be pretty valuable pieces of property thanks to all the electrical, HVAC, and data infrastructure that gets built into one.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
nickolay1
Jedi Knight

Post by nickolay1 »

lukexcom wrote: The ships would have to have a device that can quickly locate the end of the fiber-optic cable, and drag it up to the surface. The closer the ships stay to shore, the easier the job is.
It is rumored that NASA spent hundreds of millions of dollars developing such a device. Apparently,they called it the "buoy."