MacWorld 2008 Thread of RDF and Awesome

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

MacWorld 2008 Thread of RDF and Awesome

Post by Xisiqomelir »

January 15, 2008 at 9 AM PST (in <5 mins!)

Liveblogs:

Macrumours

Engadget

The Unofficial Apple Weblog

MacWorld

Go time!
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Re: MacWorld 2008 Thread of RDF and Awesome

Post by Xisiqomelir »

First new product: 500GB/1TB "time capsule" wireless router/network backup solution for $300/$500
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

And away we fucking go!
10:08 am "The World's Thinnest Notebook"
10:08 am As you know, Apple makes the best notebooks in the industry. Today, we are introducing a third kind of notebook. It's called the MacBook Air
10:08 am 4th thing: There's something in the air
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

The MacBook Air is thin. I'd be worried about cutting myself on that thing.
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

$1800 is owch. Subnotebooks need to go more mainstream.
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

I would pay the $1800 for that. Not the $3000 to get the SSD though. I've got a pretty good desktop, but one of these would be great for taking notes at a meeting, traveling, etc.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

So... why should we be getting this Macbook Air? Sure, it's thin and all, but... what's the point, really? It looks like too many compromises to me.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Macunaima
Padawan Learner

Post by Macunaima »

Thin like that, the Macbook Air can also be used like Oddjob used his bowler hat, I guess.
Some says I offend people. It's a mistake. I treat them as adults. I criticize. Something so uncommon in our press that people thinks it's offensive. -- Paulo Francis

When the first charlatan found the first moron, there was born the first god. -- Millor Fernandes
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

It's pure style over substance, a lot of what Apple seems to be. Yes, it looks great, but for that price and the gimmick of a solid state drive as a bonus, it's not exactly the cutting edge of technology and affordability.
Natorgator
Jedi Knight

Post by Natorgator »

What do you guys think of the new Apple TV? As someone who hates messing with DVDs (I don't own an HD player yet either) and prefers one click On Demand movie rentals, it looks pretty appealing.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

No updates to the Macbook Pro line?
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

I love this. A $20 Apple tax on current iPod Touch owners for five apps, everyone else gets them for free. Mama mia BOHICA
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

I'd bet those Macbook Airs would be really easy to snap in two.

I'm still curious on whether or not it'll blend, though.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

I doubt they'd design something that could be easily broken. I'll admit its small and light, but its not as if the current mac books are terribly large or heavy. I'd have figured the next step for them would be to make a tablet PC.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Beowulf wrote:So... why should we be getting this Macbook Air? Sure, it's thin and all, but... what's the point, really? It looks like too many compromises to me.
Haha, what compromises? Steve Jobs made a big point on how other thin and light laptops have too many compromises.

The only compromise is COST. That thing is very expensive. I personally wouldn't buy it because I don't have the money. But it's the perfect desktop companion...

It's got a full size keyboard, a full size screen, all the specs of a MacBook in every way except slightly lower clock speed and no disc drive. And it's 0.17 inches thick.

I'd love to have one if I could afford it. My idea setup would
be an iMac and a MacBook Air. Of course, I don't have the money; I'll stick with my regular MacBook.

This machine will have a limited audience. Only the people with money who want a laptop for portability and a desktop for performance will jump for it; those that care about laptop performance will buy the MacBook Pro for the same price.

The $20 price on the iPod Touch update is ridiculous, when you can use homebrew to add those apps already for free.

Admiral Valdemar wrote:It's pure style over substance, a lot of what Apple seems to be. Yes, it looks great, but for that price and the gimmick of a solid state drive as a bonus, it's not exactly the cutting edge of technology and affordability.
Did you watch the keynote? They had Intel design them an entirely new processor. This is a very interesting precedent. It's a full Core 2 Duo, yet it's 60% smaller? I've never heard of Intel creating an entirely new processor with a totally different die size on the whim of one manufacturer. It's got a 1.8" iPod-style hard drive (those things are expensive), 2 GB of RAM, and the entire machine is practically all battery.

It's definitely cutting edge technology. It's just ridiculously expensive to boot.
Last edited by Praxis on 2008-01-16 04:24am, edited 1 time in total.
Grasscutter
Padawan Learner

Post by Grasscutter »

Praxis wrote:The only compromise is COST. That thing is very expensive. I personally wouldn't buy it because I don't have the money. But it's the perfect desktop companion...
Even this isn't necessarily true when you look at other ultraportables on the market. A friend of mine paid in the neighborhood of $1500 for her Dell ultraportable, and it can't hold a candle to even a regular, mid-range laptop in terms of performance. The Macbook Air's nearest competitor in terms of style and performance, the Sony VAIO TZ, is going for about $2800+ while packing lesser hardware.

Like you said Praxis, this thing's going to have a limited audience, but I think it's going to be very appealing to that audience.
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Grasscutter wrote:
Praxis wrote:The only compromise is COST. That thing is very expensive. I personally wouldn't buy it because I don't have the money. But it's the perfect desktop companion...
Even this isn't necessarily true when you look at other ultraportables on the market. A friend of mine paid in the neighborhood of $1500 for her Dell ultraportable, and it can't hold a candle to even a regular, mid-range laptop in terms of performance. The Macbook Air's nearest competitor in terms of style and performance, the Sony VAIO TZ, is going for about $2800+ while packing lesser hardware.

Like you said Praxis, this thing's going to have a limited audience, but I think it's going to be very appealing to that audience.
Actually, this sucker has some pretty serious compromises. First off, there is no 3G option, which for me is a SERIOUS deal breaker. What's the point of a laptop that I can take anywhere if I need a hotspot in order to get on the internet? Pretty much every other ultraportable on the market has a 3G broadband option; I don't know what Apple has against 3G but they need to get with the program stat.

Also, one of the biggest advantages of most ultraportables like the Sony models is that you can attach a huge battery to them if necessary (or trade off a couple of smaller batteries) and run them forever. Since the Macbook Air is apparently using a lithium polymer, this won't be possible.

Cost wise, this guy really isn't too bad. Ultraportables tend to be pricey so I don't see anything wrong with Apple charging $1800 for it (leaving aside the ridiculous SSD option), although charging $300 for a 200 Mhz CPU upgrade seems like severe gouging.
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Praxis wrote: Did you watch the keynote? They had Intel design them an entirely new processor. This is a very interesting precedent. It's a full Core 2 Duo, yet it's 60% smaller? I've never heard of Intel creating an entirely new processor with a totally different die size on the whim of one manufacturer. It's got a 1.8" iPod-style hard drive (those things are expensive), 2 GB of RAM, and the entire machine is practically all battery.

It's definitely cutting edge technology. It's just ridiculously expensive to boot.
Praxis, Intel did NOT design them a new processor, it's a standard LV Core 2 on a reduced sized PACKAGE. The package is really no big deal at all.

Hell, this isn't even a new 45nm chip, which surprised the hell out of me. You'd think that Apple would have wanted the smallest and coolest chip they could find.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Praxis wrote:
Beowulf wrote:So... why should we be getting this Macbook Air? Sure, it's thin and all, but... what's the point, really? It looks like too many compromises to me.
Haha, what compromises? Steve Jobs made a big point on how other thin and light laptops have too many compromises.

The only compromise is COST. That thing is very expensive. I personally wouldn't buy it because I don't have the money. But it's the perfect desktop companion...

It's got a full size keyboard, a full size screen, all the specs of a MacBook in every way except slightly lower clock speed and no disc drive. And it's 0.17 inches thick.

I'd love to have one if I could afford it. My idea setup would
be an iMac and a MacBook Air. Of course, I don't have the money; I'll stick with my regular MacBook.

This machine will have a limited audience. Only the people with money who want a laptop for portability and a desktop for performance will jump for it; those that care about laptop performance will buy the MacBook Pro for the same price.
*snip*
Admiral Valdemar wrote:It's pure style over substance, a lot of what Apple seems to be. Yes, it looks great, but for that price and the gimmick of a solid state drive as a bonus, it's not exactly the cutting edge of technology and affordability.
Did you watch the keynote? They had Intel design them an entirely new processor. This is a very interesting precedent. It's a full Core 2 Duo, yet it's 60% smaller? I've never heard of Intel creating an entirely new processor with a totally different die size on the whim of one manufacturer. It's got a 1.8" iPod-style hard drive (those things are expensive), 2 GB of RAM, and the entire machine is practically all battery.

Compromises:
  1. Need to send to service center to replace battery.
  2. Performance for cost.
  3. Hard drive performance (1.8" drives suck ass)
  4. Ability to use peripherals. (1 USB port?)
  5. For that matter, the ability to do any hardwiring, really. (why? performance)
  6. Upgradability. You can replace the HDD, and that's it.
That's the irony of the thing. In order to get it as thin as it is, they did the very thing Jobs made a big point of. All of it, and for what? To make the damn thing as thin as possible. Really, what's the point of having it so thin? The thickness isn't the determining factor in how portable it is. The other dimensions as much, or more so. Those dimensions determine what size bag you need for it. And it's not .16" thick, it's .76" thick.

And Intel didn't create an entirely new processor with totally different die size. Intel created a new package design. The die is exactly the same as any other of that same line. (I'm not sure what core design it is, because the cache amount isn't specified). 1.8" HDDs aren't expensive. I'd be surprised if the HDD cost Apple more than $80. 2 GB of RAM isn't a big deal either. For your average ultraportable, if it doesn't come with that amount already, it's not too tough or expensive to get it upgraded to that amount. Even with most of the machine being battery, it's still less than 60WHr, or roughly a 6 cell laptop battery.

It's the G4 cube, all over again.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Beowulf wrote: And Intel didn't create an entirely new processor with totally different die size. Intel created a new package design. The die is exactly the same as any other of that same line. (I'm not sure what core design it is, because the cache amount isn't specified).
It's an LV Merom with 4MB of cache at 65nm. Shame that they couldn't snag a 45nm chip, the power consumption would have improved considerably.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

I'd actually like to bring up the AppleTV updates for a second. The AppleTV has always felt like it wasn't sure what it was supposed to do. The device only hooks up to HDTVs, yet iTunes only delivers SD content?

The ability to buy directly within the AppleTV interface, rentals (making this a huge Netflix competitor), and HD content actually make the device useful, and bring it up from curiosity gadget to actually useful in my mind. I normally just hook my iPod up to my SDTV. Maybe when I get a HDTV I might get an AppleTV...but I still doubt I'd spend $220 on a glorified media streamer w/hard drive. Maybe I'll get one used, refurbished, or when the price comes down further.

I am loving the new iTunes updates though.

Grasscutter wrote: Like you said Praxis, this thing's going to have a limited audience, but I think it's going to be very appealing to that audience.
I know a lot of doctors and business people that would eat these kinds of things up. They've got decent desktops at home, but the business people are constantly running around giving presentations and want something small, and the doctors are constantly running to patients and taking notes and want something small. They're constantly making us adjust our laptop standards just so they can have small laptops because they throw a fit (they'd rather have a ToughBook with a 10" screen than the Lenovo T60's and T61's we give everyone else).

I can see a lot of niche people this would sell for- I half suspect Steve Jobs had the machine made just because he wanted one (as it would seem to fit someone like him perfectly).

Looks to me like the kind of people who will buy this will likely already have a powerful desktop (iMac or Mac Pro) at home and want mobility, and also have a lot of money. A limited niche for sure, but it'll sell- I doubt it'll get anywhere near MacBook or MacBook Pro sales though.
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Video is up on Apple.com.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

It seems the the processor form factor isn't even really a new thing. Intel's been planning Penryns in that size package since Fall IDF. The only new thing is that they convinced Intel to make a Merom in that size package.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Praxis wrote:It's got a full size keyboard, a full size screen, all the specs of a MacBook in every way except slightly lower clock speed and no disc drive. And it's 0.17 inches thick.
Ah ah ah!

0.17 inches thin. Image
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Uraniun235 wrote:
Praxis wrote:It's got a full size keyboard, a full size screen, all the specs of a MacBook in every way except slightly lower clock speed and no disc drive. And it's 0.17 inches thick.
Ah ah ah!

0.17 inches thin. Image
"Inches thin" is like "times less".