Lost Password in Windows XP

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Lost Password in Windows XP

Post by Phantasee »

My friend just bought a used laptop, and it's running WinXP. He can't log in, because he doesn't know the username or password (doesn't use Welcome screen). I know there's a CD that technicians use to get into such a computer, but what is the program? There must be a utility (or several) that allows access to a computer without knowing the password.

He's planning on travelling overseas soon, and if he can't get into the laptop, he doesn't plan on taking it with him.
XXXI
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

So did he lose his own password, or is he still using the old owner's account?
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Old owner's account. The thing is, he can't get into anything since he doesn't know the old username or password. I'm assuming with Welcome screen there's a chance the Guest account would be available (nobody knows how to turn it off, apparently...).
XXXI
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

http://www.g4tv.com/screensavers/featur ... cking.html

That should do it.

Alternatively, download an OEM copy of Windows XP somewhere and use your serial key on the sticker on the back of the laptop when you install to make it a legal install. Then just format and reinstall.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

I don't know if this would work, but what about L0phtcrack?
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Praxis wrote: That should do it.

Alternatively, download an OEM copy of Windows XP somewhere and use your serial key on the sticker on the back of the laptop when you install to make it a legal install. Then just format and reinstall.
Thanks, I'm taking a look at the link now. Does it need to be an OEM copy? Can we do it with just an Upgrade copy?
XXXI
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Actually, another question: With the G4 thing, do you still need to know the user name? Because then we're likely to be SOL.
XXXI
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

If it's XP Pro you can log in to the administrator account (default password is blank) and use the Users and Groups Management Console to force change the user password.

If it's XP Home you don't get that option, so you can use a password cracker, or just format and reinstall, which is probably less faff, as you don't also have to deal with whatever state the old owner left the thing.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Phantasee wrote:Actually, another question: With the G4 thing, do you still need to know the user name? Because then we're likely to be SOL.
Look in C:\Documents and Settings\. Every user account will have its own folder. You'll see all users listed.
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Just use a Linux boot-CD and mount the drive with an NTFS-3G driver... backup all data, then reinstall the system.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
---------
Honorary member of the Rhodanites
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Thank you guys. Praxis: the first trick was the...trick. Yeah. I just used it to clear the password, and it worked like a charm. The laptop was pretty much wiped clean except for a copy of Office 2007 and a few other useful programs. Oh, and a lot of pictures of Erica Campbell that were tucked away in a hidden folder. Looked like someone forgot about that. :wink:
XXXI