Episode 2/Portal reactions

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Episode 2/Portal reactions

Post by Ace Pace »

Well, unlike Hotfoot and Bystander, I've started with Episode 2.
Spoilers for now will be small text.
But this game is PRETTY.
[size=0]
HOLY SHIT, the Tower explosion...
Alyx won't die but...ow... They've managed to make you care for a digital character.
The new glow worms are pretty neat.
[/size]
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

I've been playing Portal for about 2 of the last 3 hours. Most of the puzzles are conceptually easy, but implementing them can sometimes be a little harder. It doesn't seem like it'll be a long game (and I don't think it was meant to be), but who knows. Some people have already beaten it, mind you I think he was playing it on a console, if that has any bearing.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

[size=0]What ARE those little buggers that give health? And these fucking white spiders are worse then the spawning zombies, a full salvo from them can take down FIFTY health.

Reached a part from the trailer[/size]

Nice non spoiler gem, the bouncy mines? Now have the Half Life logo, or as I see it, the letter Gimel all over them.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Achivements in Episode 2 are fun.
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

I've made it to the last level in Portal. It is rather short. I just can't figure out how to finish the game and get the party started.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Stopped for today, I get some dizzyness from the Half Life 2 vehicles(too realistic?) and decided the part where you kill the advisor then get ambushed was as good a place to die as any.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

I beat portal after a few hours.

I'm gonna start on Episode 2 tonight.

I wish it had been longer, but I'm betting making levels is going to be a blast.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

I just finished Portal.

The cake is a lie. The cake is a lie. The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie. The cake is a lie. The cake is a lie.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Jonathan Coulton wrote the song that plays at the credits. I was wondering why it was made of win.

That said, the length of Portal was disappointing, I was hoping for some truly mind-bending puzzles that had you flying around rooms like mad. I was also hoping for a replay feature to show off your zany antics, but that's another story.

I'm eventually going to try the bonus stuff and tear my hair out later. Episode 2, meanwhile, is so far just okay. Some extra shinies, but pretty much more of the same. We're finally finding out more about the G-Man, which is good.

Anyway, this cake is great.
It's so delicious and moist.
Look at me still talking
When there's science to do.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

I thought it was interesting how they tied together Portal and Episode 2, and at the same time revived one of the original concepts for a part of HL2.

Also, Episode 2 and Portal are both made of win.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

I just beat Portal. Pretty cool stuff. I kinda wish it was longer, though I have to give it props for not ending when I thought it would. I was like "SWEET! CAKE!" Then I (SPOILERS)saw the flames! I loved the evil AI. "Remember that time you thought I was going to murder you?"

EDIT: Anti Spoilerized.
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I recently played through both, and I have to say, they were great. Although the portalgun and the puzzles were the initial draw, I find that the big plus for Portal was GLaDOS. She really gave the game some character, given she was basically the only one. Apart from the turrets of course. :)

But then, the big thing is the addition of Aperture Science to the Half-life universe, and what it means for the main storyline (along with the G-man's 'visit').

Of course, the real big thing is at the end. Jesus.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
nickolay1
Jedi Knight

Post by nickolay1 »

So, who else found it odd to see a helicopter with Vietnamese Air Force insignia in what is obviously a former Soviet republic?
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

We poor Germans still have to wait until it´s released on the 18th. GRRRR!!! I´m so looking forward to Portal.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

salm wrote:We poor Germans still have to wait until it´s released on the 18th. GRRRR!!! I´m so looking forward to Portal.
You shouldn't be looking forward to Portal, it is broken and horrible to play.

As part of testing protocols we will stop enhancing the truth in three...two...
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Hotfoot wrote:
salm wrote:We poor Germans still have to wait until it´s released on the 18th. GRRRR!!! I´m so looking forward to Portal.
You shouldn't be looking forward to Portal, it is broken and horrible to play.

As part of testing protocols we will stop enhancing the truth in three...two...
Hmm... interesting. Many magazine reviews gave it scores up to 94 percent.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

He's joking but it's not something you'd get until you play the game.

The cake is a lie.
Sephirius
Jedi Master

Post by Sephirius »

Me + the Weighted Companion Cube = BFF
Saying smaller engines are better is like saying you don't want huge muscles because you wouldn't fit through the door. So what? You can bench 500. Fuck doors. - MadCat360
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

Sephirius wrote:Me + the Weighted Companion Cube = BFF
Except YOU MURDERED HIM!!!!!!!

Just beat EP2. Holy shit, that was a strong ending. Interesting info (or non-info) about the G-Man. EP3 better start giving some answers.
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

But you killed it! How can you be best friends with something you killed?

In other news, I finally did figure out how to get out of the furnace room... after seeing someone else do it.
Resinence
Jedi Knight

Post by Resinence »

:roll: These same reviewers called Doom 3 Jesus, and Bioshock innovative, Quake 4 revolutionary, consistently call EA Games Shovelware Sports Games amazing, and you still take them seriously? I have a game here you might like to buy, it's called "FAST SHINY OBJECTS AND BIG EXPLOSIONS 666 2000"
“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” - Oscar Wilde.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Braedley wrote:But you killed it! How can you be best friends with something you killed?

In other news, I finally did figure out how to get out of the furnace room... after seeing someone else do it.
A simple visual cue they maybe should have played up more was how the gun's reticule shows when it is pointed at a surface that can sustain a portal. Out of curiousity, could you respond in spoiler text what happens when you get baked? I'd like to know.
The Realm of Confusion
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Resinence wrote:
:roll: These same reviewers called Doom 3 Jesus, and Bioshock innovative, Quake 4 revolutionary, consistently call EA Games Shovelware Sports Games amazing, and you still take them seriously? I have a game here you might like to buy, it's called "FAST SHINY OBJECTS AND BIG EXPLOSIONS 666 2000"
Wow, I make a joke referring to GLaDOS, and it turns into a denouncement of all reviews.

Christ dude, calm down. Yeah, some reviewers are shit, but usually you can find a reviewer who has similar tastes to your own by looking at games you liked and seeing their takes on them.
The Realm of Confusion
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Resinence wrote:
You can play the game Portals was made from, "Narbacular Drop", for free. Just find it and test it yourself.

Narbacular Drop has crappy graphics and no jump button, but it's still addictive, and it runs off of the same concept as Portals.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

Hotfoot wrote:
Braedley wrote:In other news, I finally did figure out how to get out of the furnace room... after seeing someone else do it.
A simple visual cue they maybe should have played up more was how the gun's reticule shows when it is pointed at a surface that can sustain a portal. Out of curiousity, could you respond in spoiler text what happens when you get baked? I'd like to know.
You die. That is it, there is no more. I'm not sure how far back on the platform you go if you didn't managed to get to the other side, but you are given another chance.