Shep's WIC Review

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Shep's WIC Review

Post by MKSheppard »

In the Vein of my old SH3 review long ago:

I got this based on Sea skimmer's recommendations; it's a simply awesome Real time strategy game which breaks a lot of the conventions of the genre; suchly as:

1.) You are always in charge of everything -- in WIC, you'll be in charge of a single unit which is running around on the battlefield, while the computer controls the rest of the force and the battlefield. So while you might be fighting a fierce fight for a village; you'll see airstrikes, artillery etc coming in on the distance; being called in by the computer. It really does immerse you.

2.) You will be given inadequate resources to execute "puzzles". -- In WIC, the puzzles are straightforward, like "clear that village", "hold that bridge", and you don't have to carefully husband your units, and do everything just right. You get near unlimited reinforcements; plus unlimited airstrikes; and you can call in multiple strikes at the same time.

So when 1+2 are combined; you get to see simply ABSURD amounts of firepower being called in; which is only approrpriate in a full blown World War III situation; and really does make it feel like a war is going on, even if the computer AI isn't too bright; the firepower more than makes up for it.

And you cannot just help but love a game that lets you call in ARC LIGHT strikes. :D

The graphics are really good. As Skimmer has said to me over AIM; they could actually be used for a First Person Shooter; the one drawback is it makes even my rig scream for mercy; I have to turn down some settings to get an acceptable average of 40 FPS in the benchmark with a Quad Core computer and a GeForce 8800 GTS 600~ MB card.

But what really makes it shine is the FULL SUBTITLING.

Yes, that's apparently an old NIKE missile as a monument in the background in front of a High School. Great little details like that abound in the game.

They even at least managed to get some of the lingo right:

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

You know, there's like a 3 page World in Conflict thread in this forum. :)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

It's full of spoilers for the missions, so there! :D
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

MKSheppard wrote:It's full of spoilers for the missions, so there! :D

Buuuuuulllllllssssshhhiiiitttt.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Stile
Jedi Knight

Post by Stile »

Lonestar wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:It's full of spoilers for the missions, so there! :D

Buuuuuulllllllssssshhhiiiitttt.
Get back to work, you!!! (says someone on their couch waiting for service calls) :D
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

So... can you call in an Arc Heavy strike? :P
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

If in the single player you've saved up enough TA to call in 3 B52 strikes, you seriously should have been spending it already :)
Laughing Mechanicus
Jedi Knight

Post by Laughing Mechanicus »

Chris OFarrell wrote:If in the single player you've saved up enough TA to call in 3 B52 strikes, you seriously should have been spending it already :)
Actually when I was playing the single player mode I found that I was completely swamped in TA (this was on hard). A simple choke point lets you grind through enemy units like crazy, giving near limitless TA.
Indie game dev, my website: SlowBladeSystems. Twitter: @slowbladesys
Also officer of the Sunday Simmers, a Steam group for war game and simulation enthusiasts
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I never ran out either. I often forgot to use it for ages, since the game is pretty easy until the absurdly hard 'take the four points in the middle of Russian Spawn Country' mission. Where's my fucking CAS and carpet bombing now????
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Stark wrote:I never ran out either. I often forgot to use it for ages, since the game is pretty easy until the absurdly hard 'take the four points in the middle of Russian Spawn Country' mission. Where's my fucking CAS and carpet bombing now????
Use triple=heavy arty. Image
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It isn't even the time limit that makes it hard (I've got 30m till the nuke hits), it's the 'spawning Russians at the front of destroyed warehouses and crushed cranes'. :D
HSRTG
Jedi Knight

Post by HSRTG »

I wish my rig could play this on anything other than "very low". Those graphics make me drool.

EDIT: The game's perfectly functional, and I'm having a lot of fun, make no mistake.
Kill one man, you're a murderer. Kill a million, a king. Kill them all, a god. - Anonymous
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I'm getting a new gaming PC just for this beauty. Honestly, the game's still shots make me orgasm just looking at them. Seeing it in motion... wow.

I the sooner I get my new rig, the sooner I'll be able to play it the way it was meant to and join our SDN clan.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I'm getting a new gaming PC just for this beauty. Honestly, the game's still shots make me orgasm just looking at them. Seeing it in motion... wow.

I the sooner I get my new rig, the sooner I'll be able to play it the way it was meant to and join our SDN clan.
My rig can already do that. :twisted:

Anyway, it's an awesome game, but I've noted that a lot of the units that were in the preview screenshots and videos didn't make it into the final game - like the 2S9 Nona-S, and the BMP-3. It's pretty ridiculous, in my view, that they had what amounts to a Red Dawn scenario with shitloads of Soviet VDV, but not a single BMD type vehicle to be seen.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Perhaps the designers didn't want to succumb to TA-style unit spam. Is a BMD sufficiently different from a BMP in a game-level-of-detail sense?

(assuming there's a BMP-1 or -2 but not the -3)
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Vympel wrote: My rig can already do that. :twisted:
Mine will be even betterer. Hey, I hear you need upgrading soon, it's over a month old. :P
Anyway, it's an awesome game, but I've noted that a lot of the units that were in the preview screenshots and videos didn't make it into the final game - like the 2S9 Nona-S, and the BMP-3. It's pretty ridiculous, in my view, that they had what amounts to a Red Dawn scenario with shitloads of Soviet VDV, but not a single BMD type vehicle to be seen.
Did they ever correct the BMP-3's wacky firing time anyway? It was too fast to be the 105 mm and too slow to be the GSh-30.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Admiral Valdemar wrote: Did they ever correct the BMP-3's wacky firing time anyway? It was too fast to be the 105 mm and too slow to be the GSh-30.
Not in the game anymore to know :(

[Vympel Mode Engaged]The BMP-3 has a 2A70 100mm gun, not a 105mm, and it doesn't have a GSh-30, it has a 2A72 30mm autocannon.[/Vympel Mode Disengaged]
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Shep, please post more screenshots immediately.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Ubiquitous wrote:Shep, please post more screenshots immediately.
Ask and thy shall recivce
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Vympel wrote:
Not in the game anymore to know :(

[Vympel Mode Engaged]The BMP-3 has a 2A70 100mm gun, not a 105mm, and it doesn't have a GSh-30, it has a 2A72 30mm autocannon.[/Vympel Mode Disengaged]
It was five in the morning. I goofed. :P

And it's funny when you can marvel at screenshots from an RTS like this. Shall we do a similar thread for C&C:RA? :lol:
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

2000AD wrote:
Ubiquitous wrote:Shep, please post more screenshots immediately.
Ask and thy shall recivce
Shameless plug.
RazorOutlaw
Padawan Learner

Post by RazorOutlaw »

Thanks to Shep I'm now doing my part in defending American soil from the Communist invasion. Well...I decided to grab the demo, and it's not that his screenshots are so great they just gave me the heads up on what's a decent game.

I find the fact that the game was developed by the same people who did Ground Control 1 and 2 really helps, since I found their control schemes very easy to get in to.
Sig.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

That people into wargames could have not heard of WiC before is really strange to me.
RazorOutlaw
Padawan Learner

Post by RazorOutlaw »

That's because sometimes people into wargames have sloppy or incomplete writing. :P I said "heads up" when I should have said "finally got me interested in enough to try and wow it was fun."

I had seen trailers and screenshots before but Shep's little blurb finally made me interested enough. The third screenshot is just delicious. At first I thought it was from a movie and he was just making a joke.
Sig.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Well, while it isn't personal, WiC has been the only even remotely interesting RTS coming for more than six months. And yet SDN is full of people saying 'wow I just tried it'. Waiting for someone to say 'it's good' when it's been discussed all around the world for months seems bizarre.

I guess my perspective is skewed by the fact that my ISP is a huge WiC whore with piles of servers and beta keys etc.