battleships forever

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

You screwed up the quote tags on your Shoop Da Whoop! ship. As for the second one, that's a pretty ship.
Davey
Padawan Learner

Post by Davey »

This game is fiendishly addictive, and what I like about it is that you have to choose and prioritize, unlike the other 'meat grinder' types of strategy games where all you have to do is last long enough to build a bunch of 'monster units' and then just walk through an enemy base.

Nice ship. I like the Shoop Da Whoop! The deflectors add a nice touch and I like the 'armour belt' around the ship, which gives it a nice, unconventional, almost 'axe like' appearance. Very nice!

The cube is amazing, reminds me a lot of the Borg cube from Star Trek (don't worry, I'm no Trektard, heh.) A work of art in its own. The purple colour scheme with the deflectors over it gives it a distinctive appearance, but it's too bad you can't make it black.

The first ship I ever designed, and because I wanted to see how crazy I could go, I went full out. I would have made this larger, but I ran out of space in the shipmaker. I called it the U.S.S Intrepid.

Image.

This is a screenshot of it next to an official ship, the Athena, for scale.

At some points the structure is really deep. Instead of just pretending the pieces 'stayed' there magically, what I did was I built a kind of 'skeleton' for the ship, and then had the parts attach off that skeleton, just like a real ship. Even if the armour belt is breached, and the ship structure beneath that is compromised, you have to fight your way to the center of the huge superstructure (which is built redundantly, and has its own armour around it) in order to cripple the ship.

After creating it I decided to see how it'd go up against a few Athenas. Their deflectors sounded like they'd pose a challenge. I froze the ships, added some in, and took this screenshot...

I had to really hurry and snap the next shot when I unfroze the ships!

In less than a minute, this was all that I had left.

So I decided to send it up against something big.

The moment I clicked attack
space really lit up! The Epic is launching missiles from its broadside, along with railguns. Those railguns are completely wanked out. Instead of firing once and recharging, they fire about thirty shots, each shot penetrating through several sections and doing fifteen damage per 'hit' (but it drops off progressively) in rapid succession.

Now look at this. If you look really hard you can see that the leviathan was destroyed before some of the missiles even got to it!

I wish there was a multiplayer addon for this game. I'd really like to see all of these ships in action.
th15
Redshirt

Post by th15 »

New Version Released
Get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/bfdownload.php

Battleships Forever is now a finalist in the Independent Games Festival 2008! It's nominated for the Design Innovation award. Check it out here:
http://www.igf.com/02finalists.html

What am I going to do about that? Well I'm going to give you more game. There's a really long list of bug fixes in this version. The last was really rather buggy.

The first thing you'll notice is the way the ships look. I've considerably reworked the way the sections are drawn in game. They now have a gradient applied to them so that the ship is brighter near the core and darker at the edges.

This is just the first step in much larger changes to come. I'm pretty unsatisfied with a fair portion of the game content at the moment. I'll be re-writing a lot of the career and re-working the missions. Adding the gradient effect to the ships is definitely a step towards making them less cartoony.

I know some of you have been waiting for ShipMaker 3.0 for a long time, but it's not ready yet, don't worry though, once it's done the features that it'll have will blow you away. Instead, I patched up the old version of ShipMaker (2.x) which is included in this version.

Full changelog available here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1#1
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

<_<
>_>

Needs mac version
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

well it says that it runs in mac if you have Open Wine..

so does that mean Cabernet, Merlot, or a nice Chilled Pinot Grigio

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

There's a guy over on the Battleships Forever forums that makes some god-damned beautiful Star Wars ships.

Here's his Star Destroyer:

An Executor, with tiny Star Destroyers alongside it (Not quite to scale):

Death Star:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

that.. that Death star... O-M-G

Seriouslly, how Long must that take???
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Link to those schematics, please. I want to download those, very badly.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

All right. Links I shall provide:

Star Destroyer

The Executer and the Tiny ISD.

And the Death Star.

Credit for these ships goes to Novercalis on the BSF forums.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Thank you.

EDIT: HOLY FREAKING CRAP! Those ships are freaking huge!
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

No kidding? Really? I hadn't noticed. :lol:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
th15
Redshirt

Post by th15 »

New Version Release

Just added a bunch of new stuff so I really need people to test it out. I need to submit another version of the game to the IGF again on 18 Dec so I would really appreciate it if you guys could test this thoroughly so I can deliver a smooth product.

Two big additions in this version. The Rorschach Resistor and the Eos Battleship. The Rorschach resistor is a module that launches a pod that generates a beam-bending field. It works much the same way as the Teller, but instead of firing a beam it bends beams away from it. It is mounted on the Eos Battleship which is a new stand-off Battleship.

There's a few other changes, mainly in the way interception works. Railguns are now interceptable, Rail shots, Demeters, Tachyons, Tellers and Rorschach are all part of a category of bullets that are "hard" to intercept. They only have a 24% chance of being destroyed when hit by point defence.

I've been messing a little with the sounds so some of the menu sounds are missing at the moment. I also rearranged the fleet selection menu so don't be alarmed. Oh yea, the Rorschach isn't in the shipmaker yet either. I'll get around to that soon.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Does this mean you decided to go with an 'intercept chance' instead of a bit of conefire on PD guns to make interceptors less effective?
th15
Redshirt

Post by th15 »

Actually the % chance of destroyer Demeters and Tachyons have always been there, I don't think many people realised how it worked.

I would like to be able to limit the arcs on the interceptors but that costs too much processing overhead to be workable.
The Yosemite Bear

actually that pic reminds me of one of my favorite old school Sharewares...

Scorch!!!!

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

th15 wrote:Actually the % chance of destroyer Demeters and Tachyons have always been there, I don't think many people realised how it worked.

I would like to be able to limit the arcs on the interceptors but that costs too much processing overhead to be workable.
Well I sure didn't. :) I'm sure you'll hear about it if this change makes interceptors significantly less reliable, but I think that would be a good thing.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Furious-class ship. Makes a good battlecruiser

Image Image
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Aegis shields are pretty much invincible, Ein.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

phongn wrote:Aegis shields are pretty much invincible, Ein.
Not if you pour more damage in one frame than the HP of the aegised piece. Actually not very hard to do with a large ship targeting all weapons on this thing, especially with custom weps.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Then again, with custom weapons, I can one-shot entire fleets. Sure, that's fun sometimes, but it takes all the challenge out of the game.

Try making ships with only standard weapons (except for firing arcs) and non-insane speeds.

Anyways, your ship still dies to an Enhanced Hypervelocity Kinetic Missile. And a High Angel, but that was no question to begin with.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

Ive redone some ships for 8.4, not as many as my first attempt but the link should work this time.

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... o_dash.zip

this zip contains

Imperial class star destroyer: not nearly as grand as the one pictured above but its still a formidable ship in most engagements.

Archer class bombardment dreadnought: has shrunk considerably since the first incarnation, but still has the same attributes. carries long range interceptable weapons and heavy armor, but is shieldless and lacks any short range weapons.

Beam Athena: part of my beam fleet, which consists of every Terran stock ship refitted with beam weapons. these ship will become much less dangerous when the beam bender becomes modifiable.

Beam Peitho: see above

Battleplate: designed specifically to fill the ship maker, has a few of nearly every weapon.

KKV: my own version of the kinetic missile.

Beam Dreadnought: Designed to lead the beam refit fleet, its not really balanced. built around a heavily armored and shielded citadel, it's main battery of over powered beamers quickly destroy any unshielded ship.

the Wankship: suncrusher-like super ship, Balance? what balance?
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Image Image
The Yosemite Bear

that bright pink sears my retinas Ein...

th15
Redshirt

Post by th15 »

New Version Released

More tweaks and the Shipmaker now includes the Rorschach module so you can build your own bendy beam boats.

The first mission was heavily reworked so that it serves as a better tutorial. I must ask all of you to try it out to make sure that there's no bugs. I need to submit a version of the game for the IGF final round judging early next week so please try your best to find all the bugs in the game. Any feedback is welcome!

View full changelog here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1#1