battleships forever

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

wautd
Emperor's Hand

battleships forever

Post by wautd »

Neat little (10mb) space based RTS game

Oh, and it's freeware. You can get it here

The most fun is you can design your own ships, no matter how rediculous they get.

Case in point:

Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

LAWL! You gave bender a bling Grill!!!! that is spectacular! You win, sir, and you win hard WITH A VENGANCE!
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I havn't made the Bender myself but thank you, kind sir
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Woah..... When did they improve the game ship design feature?

I got into this game when the author joined the relevant thread at SB, its a blast.

The missions are fun and it requires actual tactics and coordination to get a good score.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Is it me, or does the download link not work? The music pack works fine, just can't get the actual game, which is a slight obstacle.

Edit: You know, you'd think I'd notice the large 'Download Mirrors' button. *ahem*
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

interesting game but incomplete.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

It probably refelcts badly on me that my first creations are renditions of Kushan Frigates.
I do like the way that you can drop your creations straight into sandbox mode to see if your tweaks have gone correctly, especially as the Clone Weapon tool keeps catching me out.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

how do you create ships??
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Use the shipyard program, maybe? :roll:

It's pretty simple, but I liked Warning Forever too. Does it surprise anyone that people honestly want base-building and racial distinctions? Gamers are the worst thing to happen to the gaming industry. :)
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

whoops. found it. One Colonial Light cruiser, coming up!
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Niice game. Behold my sanest creation in it.
Most noticeable features are standard blaster broadsides and the custom cannon along the center. Each of those beamers is set to five damage and extra range to make up for having their traverse reduced to zero, two of these ships can actually destroy the aegis walls of an alien drednaught from the front.
Oh and in regards to stark's second paragraph, bwah? o.0
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

While I was poking around (since BF is another game that crashes due to Vista's user rights system) I saw plenty of people saying 'needs basez lol' and the like. I hear all games should be the same? :)
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Stark wrote:While I was poking around (since BF is another game that crashes due to Vista's user rights system) I saw plenty of people saying 'needs basez lol' and the like. I hear all games should be the same? :)
I haven't found myself wanting it, but at the same time I wouldn't mind there being an additional game mode which supported bases and such. Yes, some people just want the same basic gameplay element but with different details mixed in; that's got to be valid on some level, else anyone who wanted to play deathmatch would still be on Quake 1.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

Awsome program. Very fun.

Tinkered around and built a small integrated force.

On the top and far left are Viper class. Two modified beamers (2 clip, 1 damage, 30 reload, 800 range) and four flak cannons make it's armaments. It's kinda a paper tiger. It'll punch through most default ships, especially ones with an exposed core near the front. But the fins on the back that house the Aegis protecting the two forward wings only have ten HP.

In the center are Hephestos support frigates. Still toying around with their weapons, the blue beam turrets (forgot the name) seem a little too powerful when combined with their repair systems.

And on the right, the Atmos blockade ship. Not particularly powerful, fast, or agile, it's there to stand between the enemy and more fragile ships. Two standard beamers and four standard flak allow it to serve it's purpose.
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Uraniun235 wrote:I haven't found myself wanting it, but at the same time I wouldn't mind there being an additional game mode which supported bases and such. Yes, some people just want the same basic gameplay element but with different details mixed in; that's got to be valid on some level, else anyone who wanted to play deathmatch would still be on Quake 1.
It isn't even an RTS, it's just an oldscore shooter. It's like saying Heroes of Might and Magic would be better if you could research tech or use your hero like in Dynasty Warriors. Putting in standard RTS features would make the game bland and usual, and it'd lose what little charm it has. ZOMG needs SupCom megamap! :)

I wish it had larger areas, though: they're all far too small for the speed of even the slower ships.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Andrew_Fireborn wrote:Snip
Wow, your navy is severely undergunned. I have only started work on fleet, but I can say that the design philosophy is a bit different. :)

This here is the Scorpion fighter. It is one of several planned fighter types, this one focusing primarily on anti-ship work.

Next, is the Lancet light cruiser. It was the first ship I've ever made, so the design has a few glitches I'm still trying to correct.
However, the Lancet project was put on hold to make time for...

This baby. The Glory-class battleship. Slow as fuck, but once it catches you, you're dead.

Size comparison: Scorpion, Lancet, Glory, meet Cronus and Hestia of the regular fleet. Needless to say, the vanilla ships feel a bit undergunned.

So, how do they perform against vanilla ships?
A squadron of Scorpions makes short work of Nagaya's Flagship.

Same goes for two Lancets.

A Glory eats Leviathan Station for breakfast.

Of course, they are not supposed to face vanilla ships, but rather, my own creations. So far, however, they fight each other.

A fighter swarm annihilates a Lancet in under a minute:

But against a Glory, they face no such luck:

The aftermath: a damaged Glory and lots and lots of fighter debris.
If you think that it is crippled, think again. Just because it lost half of its armaments does not mean it cannot take on any ship in the game and win.

3 Lancets take on a Glory:

They literally run circles around it, but it doesn't help them any- its rear broadside is only slightly weaker than the forward one

The poor guys never had a chance.
They did manage to do some damage to the bigger ship, though. All but one of it's mega-beam turrets, an assload of its forward broadside, and the starboard pod launcher are gone.

Finally, the real fun begins. A Glory vs Glory battle. This one tool almost half an hour of constant pounding. The ships closed in:

Then opened the distance again. Eventually, the shields either overloaded, or ran out of power had to recharge. By targeting unshielded sections, I was able to inflict damage on the enemy battleship:
As you can see, most of its broadside is gone, and so are a lot of the shield generators. It lost, it just didn't know it yet.

More coming soon!

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

I want to fight the Glory, shipfile please?
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

The U.S.S. Booya. Took out a Leviathan in one shot. :)

9 Cronus are needed to take down one Booya!. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Uraniun235 wrote:
Stark wrote:While I was poking around (since BF is another game that crashes due to Vista's user rights system) I saw plenty of people saying 'needs basez lol' and the like. I hear all games should be the same? :)
I haven't found myself wanting it, but at the same time I wouldn't mind there being an additional game mode which supported bases and such. Yes, some people just want the same basic gameplay element but with different details mixed in; that's got to be valid on some level, else anyone who wanted to play deathmatch would still be on Quake 1.
You can create starbases and defense platforms and mess around with them in skirmish.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

fgalkin wrote:
Andrew_Fireborn wrote:Snip
Wow, your navy is severely undergunned. I have only started work on fleet, but I can say that the design philosophy is a bit different. :)

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Indeed, quite different. :P The first batch was mainly to build a reasonable ship that would win, unless I was insanely uncautious. Hence their non-supershipness.

A super ship's my next build. Although I still don't think I'll make a flying gun-orgy. As amusing as it must be to watch those things fire. (Stock weapons?)
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Behold, my insane and latest creation. People, i bring you Mister Rogers.
Time to load=lots.
weapons=oodles.
manouverability=like a mountain.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

U.S.S. Froggie. Not as powerful as Booya but strong enough. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Any of those up on their database, I'd like to take a few whacks at them.

At the least see how the Gjallerhorn measures up. She's a tougher nut than she looks.
[EDIT] Link to .shp incase you guys want to smite it like a petulant child. :P [/EDIT]
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Eh, I went more for homages than uber-gunned wank ships. :p

The Kushan Fleet assembled. Looks innocent enough, but that Ion Frigate mounts a supercharged Ion Cannon.

Do not poke the Nebula.

For those who prefer more mainstream Sci-Fi:

Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Beautiful work there Vanas.