battleships forever

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

th15
Redshirt

Post by th15 »

Covenant: You change ship colours in the main game options menu (three sliders at the bottom right). After changing it in the game, your ships in shipmaker will have the same colour schemes.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

th15 wrote:Covenant: You change ship colours in the main game options menu (three sliders at the bottom right). After changing it in the game, your ships in shipmaker will have the same colour schemes.
Ohh, I see. Drat--so I can't manually color individual pieces whatever I wanted? I thought my gold-and-brown Ha'tak would be so sexy. :D
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Drat--so I can't manually color individual pieces whatever I wanted? I thought my gold-and-brown Ha'tak would be so sexy.
You can. Choose a color scheme, then proceed to individually color parts of ship. It's possible from the shipbuilder. Pick "change color" for a parent part, and all associated parts will also change color, IIRC.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
th15
Redshirt

Post by th15 »

Well, to be more precise, there are a total of 4 colour schemes. Each colour scheme has 3 colours.

A ship is limited to using the 3 colours of the colour scheme chosen for it.
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

damm The Site just down today.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

starfury wrote:damm The Site just down today.
I think his hosting just got pulled.
OpenDNS wrote:Nameserver trace for www.wyrdysm.com:

* Looking for who is responsible for root zone and followed d.root-servers.net.
* Looking for who is responsible for com and followed j.gtld-servers.net.
* Looking for who is responsible for wyrdysm.com and followed ns637.hostgator.com.

Nameservers for www.wyrdysm.com:

* ns637.hostgator.com returned (NORECORDS)
* ns638.hostgator.com returned (NORECORDS)
Fuckers. I think they've been screwing his board up too.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

A preliminary take on the Eclipse... :)
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
th15
Redshirt

Post by th15 »

Nono, I've been shifting my webhost. The nameserver's just been resolved, currently in the process of porting my phpbb databaes over for the forums.

The old server was crap. They kept changing server-side settings without telling me (for example, php error messages is OFF, which makes it very difficult for me to develop any php applications) and doing random shit like uploading a bogus index.html to my root folder. It also kept going down for short bits then coming back up so it wasn't very reliable.

In addition to that, the new hosting is like 1200x cheaper. The old one was based in Singapore and charged 6.95 USD for 5gb transfers. Hostgator, based in the US, charges like 12.95 USD for 6,000gb. Also, since the server is now closer to the majority of my users, the site should run much faster.

Oh and I think you should use the shockbeamer for the eclipse's mini-super laser. The beam width scales with the damage of the beam so you'd get a really big beam.
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Looking good, Stas!
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

That is awesome, Can't wait to see it added to the ship list Stas!
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

How big is that Eclipse really? Not being able to see all of it means we have no idea of it's size.

I hope it's really big though...
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

As big as the shipbuilder allows. Pretty fucking huge. It's also more or less to scale with the Seraph's Executor.
Please do not lament the lack of weapons as it is only a preliminary design. Maximum depth is around 350. Technically I think about cutting down part numbers since there's really too many.

Also, I plan to make a to-scale fleet of various "larger ships", i.e. several units long ISDs, Allegiances, Mon Calamaris. Talon Karrde's custom ISD with a mini superlaser also included ;)

Assalti Frontali
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Very nice, Stas, although if i may make a suggestion, replace the Megabeam with a Shock-Beamer with around 20-30 damage. Bigger beam, cooler effect... In my opinion, anyways.

Unrelated: DAMN IT! I have to repost all of the stuff for the BSF Beauty Pageant. :cry:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Very nice, Stas, although if i may make a suggestion, replace the Megabeam with a Shock-Beamer with around 20-30 damage. Bigger beam, cooler effect... In my opinion, anyways.
This is a 40,000 damage megabeam. It's meant to cut through anything. I haven't yet developed a HP/armor/weapons balance system which will more or less accurately reflect Star Wars, but I'm on it.

Shock beamer at high power levels creates a beam that is much wider than the emitter, which is not the case for the Eclipse. I haven't used it precisely for that reason, instead opting for yellow beam and, in the end, mega beam since it's continous and also has bad tracking (which is, well, the only thing that can save from such a weapon).

P.S. Two executors so far can manage to kill the Eclipse if it does not fire it's superlaser too often.
P.P.S. Mini ISDs to go with the Eclipse/Executor and other larger ships. ;)
They boast increased-damage blasters in place of TL batteries, a Demeter as the TIE bay and a Frosh to imitate their ion cannon array. Also, two shield generators. I'm thinking about giving them a tractor beam, but this beam is too violent on Demeter drones (it kills them in automode before they reach a capship!!!)... so probably they will do without that. A hyperjump generator might be installed instead.

Assalti Frontali
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

not even more uberships with every module shielded... grah.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:Stingray
ok, ein, we need to commission a SS Crocadile Hunter

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:Very nice, Stas, although if i may make a suggestion, replace the Megabeam with a Shock-Beamer with around 20-30 damage. Bigger beam, cooler effect... In my opinion, anyways.
Only 20-30? :D

SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Now you know why I keep my shockbeam at 10 Damage.

Image Image
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Actually, my shock beam was set to 100.

I had no idea what I was doing, really, just fooling around, so I didn't even expect it to be a main weapon, really. :lol:

So many boosters... Why?

There isn't anything you can do with them that you can't do with a modified weapon that I'm aware of...
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Ryan Thunder wrote:So many boosters... Why?
Continuous fire. :twisted:
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Oh, of course.

I thought mine had continuous fire, but it would seem it actually has a limit...

Boosters it is, then. :D
th15
Redshirt

Post by th15 »

It's finally here:

New Version Released!
Download it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... lerv80.exe
Vista installer here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... 0Vista.exe

Alternate mirror:
http://www.victorygames.info/bf/BFFullInstallerv80.exe
Alternate mirror for Vista Installer: http://www.victorygames.info/bf/BFFullI ... 0Vista.exe

Okay, I'm releasing this because you guys will need some of the new functions for the various competitions that are running. It doesn't have all the features I wanted it to have, but it's what I've got up to now. The biggest change in this version is that there is now a Misc button in Sandbox Mode. This little button allows you to perform actions that you were previously unable to such as placing terrain, spawning formations of ships (yes even that Peitho formation in Stronghold) and changing game settings.

Another new change is the way terrain works. The bigger, brighter asteroids will now block shots in the same way as debris. However, they will not hurt ships on contact and ships will pass harmlessly under them. Since this is still so new, I haven't applied to anywhere but the Grinder game mode (you can also spawn the asteroids in Sandbox) so if you want to see how they work, go play the Grinder.

Fixed a number of bugs, such as a bug in the shipmaker which caused ships to have the wrong depth in the game. If you have any ships that are like that, open up the blueprint (.sb2) file and re-save the ship. The problem will then be fixed. Finally, here's some screenies!

The new Misc button

Abusing the Misc button to spawn a massive meteor shower

Kamikaze mode and the result of a suicide attack

Full changelog found here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Who here reads Schlock Mercenary?

It's Petey!! :lol:

Image Image
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

it seems my thread over there has stalled (or never turned over) :(

so i'll repost my ISD here, its a might overpowered but its supposed to be.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... 's_ISD.shp

you'll have to copy and paste it into your address bar
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?