battleships forever

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Hey. Just give every tower a Gluon Launcher. And a platform deployer or twelve. Remember those orbital satelite platforms? Or the OMFGTHOUSANDS of drones?
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

And if the ROF on Gluon Bolters is too low for your liking, you can always bump up the recharge time with the handy-dandy editting feature.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

If you want to really do an SG themed shipset, you can make a pretty nice Aurora-type ship with improved gluons. Then make some Wraithships armed with those little blue rapid-fire blasters. A Prometheus/Daedalus class can have flak guns and those homing missiles with extended range. Ha'taks use those big red blasters, and the Orii uses the Leviathan Giant Purple Beam of Spanking. The 'Scatter Beam' weapon looks a lot like an Asgard 'Go Away Beam'.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

The Aurora? Hmm, alrightie. Thing is, it's over 3200 meters long, which is pretty fucking huge. How large will the thing end up being, in scaling terms? I can only imagine that it ends up looking wicked huge. It's around 7 times the length of Daedelus, which is, what, 600 meters?

A Ha'tak is a much smaller vessel, and the Asgard Warships--like an O'Neill class, are still really freaking huge. At 1,600+ meters, the O'Neill class is a rather robust ship with a great degree of maneuverability. I'm sure it'd be a fun ride.

Is there some kind of scaling convention? I don't really mind if other people exceed it, but I like to have a general idea of how large things should be. Otherwise I just feel like I'm wanking stupidly by making the ship massive. It -is- a rather serious ship though (the Aurora). People just don't know it because the ships it fights, the Hiveships, are around 11,000 meters long.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Really? Is that the scale? I figured it for twice Daedalus's length and slightly wider. Scale them, I figure using the stock Battleships as say... a heavy cruiser?
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

Here is the pic of the huge ship that I created which is more of a redress of a ship someone made at the Battleship Forever forum...
linky to my ship

It has almost one of everything....
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Please stop being lame, people are trying to make interesting ships and there's no point because of people like you. :lol:
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

I know...

Its supposed to be no limits....

Thats why I made it

:D
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

But there's no way to make no-limits and er... more practical designs ... distinct, so low-end ships (like the Ur-Quan Covenant made) isn't really very useful/awesome. :(
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Can the rail guns on the back of that ship even fire past the prow?
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Image Image
SpacedTeddyBear
Jedi Master

Post by SpacedTeddyBear »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:OH FUCK.
Hey th15 if you're lurking around here, you may want to keep a close eye on that thread. Metaphorically speaking, someone just stacked a lot of marbles in the corner. Marbles made out of frozen nitroglycerine.

Anyways, here's my take of the Bucket taking on the Leviathan.

Image[/img]
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Is there any way to have moving ship sections? I was thinking about making an Orion from Freespace, but I'd rather have proper triple turrets on a single slow-rotating base than three flexibles or a single triple-shot or whatever. Everything else (the fighters, bombers, flak, AAAf and cap beams) would be easy to do. Actually, proper inaccurate-but-exploding flak might be hard too.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

SpacedTeddyBear wrote:
Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:OH FUCK.
Hey th15 if you're lurking around here, you may want to keep a close eye on that thread. Metaphorically speaking, someone just stacked a lot of marbles in the corner. Marbles made out of frozen nitroglycerine.
You madman. Now what? Sanity has won the poll results hands down--take your victory and go! Honestly, this is going to downhill pretty fast. :P

TH15, you really should take a look at the goings on there. There are few things that have been done to death as much as Star Trek vs. Star Wars, and few things with enflame debate as well--and not even the good, healthy kind of debate, since anyone who even tries to debate based on the evidence is going to see it's a curbstop. Which only leaves the unreasonable people still there.

As for rotating sections, I'd also love to make big mobile starbases. I love sphere-shaped ships, and I'd love something that rotated in a circle around so I could make a big battle-snowflake.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Stark wrote:And plus it'd allow you to make Chmmr defence satellites. :)
Ooh, that's right, I hadn't thought about that. I wonder if those people from that board are going to come here and read about us? I hope not. The last thing we need is to have a SW v ST debate over there. I hope TH15 is at least onboard with the idea that the debate is a bad idea, and I've joined up there to help stem the tide as best I can, but come on. You just now people are going to really dig in their heels when they display a clear history of the debate when they mention our web address.

I'm having bad flashbacks to the debates I had with the SotS staff on their own boards. It certainly wasn't difficult to dispel the myth of plasma weapons and such, but ST v SW is such a one-sided debate that it boggles the mind.

In my head, I always enjoyed the idea of the Enterprise versus one ISD. That at least sounds kinda fun. Like a bonus mission from X-Wing. I don't think most Trek fans realize that the Empire has, what, millions of ISDs? It's just not a fair fight. It's like... Minneapolis versus the rest of the US.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Aside from 'captain trek' the other posters just haven't thought about it (with ideas like 'oh yeah the borg human wave will work' and 'stormtroopers can't shoot and this is relevant'). I don't think it's that bad, but I agree the debate will cause problems with meaningful collaboration between the boards.

Captain Trek is a worthless moron, however.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

I took it upon myself to reiterate th15's warning to Captain Trektard.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Image Image
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

That's... got enough PD & Boosting... Do I dare hope that shock beamer's stock?
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Andrew_Fireborn wrote:That's... got enough PD & Boosting... Do I dare hope that shock beamer's stock?
Nope.

Damage 50, Range 1800. The boosters let it fire continuously on demand, too.

EDIT: I designed it to test the effects of massive damage to heavily-built and shielded ships. I'm likely going to use the Shockbeamer model in my tests.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Update!

I've started another contest over on the Battleships Forever forums. Unlike Andrew Fireborn's, however, this contest is all about making ships that look cool.

Check it out, and join the competition if you're interested.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Interesting! Hm... I'd probably be able to do well in the functionality catagory--I prefer to make milspec style ships that are 'fair' when compared to the Canon vessels. I also can replicate a ship from a fiction pretty well, the only thing is trying to get teh weapons to match. My little puddlejumper is a perfect lookin' puddlejumper, but I doubt people want to see micro-fighters being entered.

BTW, how do you change the color of your pieces? I'd love to make my ships color-coded, or at least color-synced.
NRS Guardian
Jedi Knight

Post by NRS Guardian »

"It is not necessary to hope in order to persevere."
-William of Nassau, Prince of Orange

Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.10
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Meanwhile, in the beauty pageant thread...

Stingray