Against the Storm

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Against the Storm

Post by bobalot »

The amount of gaming I have been able to do in recent years has taken a nosedive due to having kids.

I'm not able to devote as much time as I used to and maybe due to gaming fatigue, I have not found many games to be that much fun.

Until I found Against the Storm.

It is a "roguelite city builder set in a fantasy world where it never stops raining. As the Queen's viceroy, you're tasked with venturing into the unknown wilds and building new settlements inhabited by intelligent beavers, humans, and lizardfolk."
  • You have to build your city and complete tasks to get influence points to beat that map. Tasks often require particular resources.
  • There is the Queen's impatience which also builds up over time and due to events. Having too much of this can cause you to lose the map.
  • Each of races have their own needs (food, etc.). They also have certain tasks they excel at.
  • The production chains you build can often use different ingredients and what is available depends on the biome of the map.
  • The production chains you build depend on the buildings that are available to you. You will not start with them all for each map and it won't be possible to get them all.
  • Each of the races have resolve (can be met through housing, food, etc.). If resolve is too low, they will leave.
  • After building 5 cities, the global map is wiped out and starts again.
  • There is trading and special items that confer special perks.
... and heaps more.

The developers do quite a few updates and are very active on the Discord.

The structure of the game makes each map basically new and each map has it's own difficulties with the effective randomisation of the available buildings and resources.

I find it to be a load of fun and recommend getting this if it goes on sale on either Steam or Epic store.

What are your thoughts?
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Against the Storm

Post by LadyTevar »

Why are the maps wiped out after 5 games? Do you keep anything you've gained during that time?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Re: Against the Storm

Post by bobalot »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-06-15 07:56am Why are the maps wiped out after 5 games? Do you keep anything you've gained during that time?
Basically resets the world map.

You do gain experience and also resources to buy various upgrades.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord