"Rate my Rig" thread

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Re: "Rate my Rig" thread

Post by Starglider » 2017-12-12 02:31pm

Zaune wrote:
2017-12-10 05:19am
What can I say? The case has all those fan hardpoints, so I might as well use them.
They will just create unnecessary noise. The case already comes with a 200mm fan on the front and a 140mm fan on the back, which is more than sufficient for the power dissipation. With that relatively low-powered PSU you can't physically install enough hardware to need anything more, yet you are proposing to install another seven 120mm fans for nine fans total. It takes four 120mm fans combined to have the same airflow as a 200mm fan and they will make more noise in the process. Incidentally a quad socket 1600W enterprise server only uses four fans, albeit at a higher average RPM; I have fourteen 120mm fans on my 2000W dual-socket 8-GPU workstions but those are dissipating five times the power under load. You should drop all the extra fans and the fan controller and get a bigger SSD.
Narrative Analysis : http://www.mylittleprogram.net (under construction)

Zaune
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zaune » 2017-12-12 03:57pm

Fair enough. If it does end up having overheating issues (such as from being crammed under a small desk in a flat that turns into an oven in even moderately sunny weather) I can always buy some more later.

And how big an SSD do you think I'll need? I can't remember exactly how much space my preferred distro takes up by itself but probably not a lot.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider » 2017-12-12 06:28pm

I have no idea what you disk usage pattern is, but if you don't have much software then you could upgrade to a 7600K, which is about 10% faster and 10% more expensive.
Narrative Analysis : http://www.mylittleprogram.net (under construction)

Zaune
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zaune » 2017-12-13 06:50am

My usage pattern is relatively light on stuff that benefits from being on the SSD: Unlike most people on /r/pcmasterrace I've never once had an urge to blow fifty quid on stuff I never get around to playing every time Steam has a sale. I have however filled most of a 1TB hard drive with music and videos.

Anyway, reworked the build a bit, switching the 7600 out for an 8400, adding a slightly bigger SSD and cutting out the fans and fan hub:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor (£175.98 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£91.99 @ Box Limited)
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£130.74 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: ADATA - SU800 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£94.00 @ More Computers)
Storage: Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£68.39 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 4GB Gaming 4G Video Card (£227.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case (£93.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£62.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer (£10.50 @ Aria PC)
Other: 40cm White LED Strips x2 (£9.99)
Total: £966.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-13 11:40 GMT+0000
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX » 2018-01-18 05:04pm

In prep for my next round of classes, I've picked up another 500GB and a new 1TB Samsung EVO SSD. The PRO series just does not have the performance benefit to justify the price. I figure I'm going to copy everything off my old SSD to the 1TB, use it for gaming and stripe the two 500s into a 1TB for all my virtual machines. I lost all my original VMs due to some stupid (and drunkenly) moves because I needed space for more junk. HDDs are just excruciating for me to use.

I'd put my games on the striped set, but I'm more concerned about reliability. I mean, we're not doing anything that crazy with the virtual machines, except with Linux, but that install is nothing. And my gaming loads times are already stupidly low.

My 1TB HDD is aging. But I do need something for general storage. Is it worthwhile to go with something like a WD Black for that? I think I'd probably just be better off with like a 3-4TB WD blue. I'm out of the loop on HDDs. I don't have a whole HELL of a lot of data, but I want to make sure I don't lose what I have. I monitor my SMART but even that isn't a guarantee. I suppose I should consider a second 3-4 TB external drive, backup to that once a month and stick it in the gunsafe. Or just mirror some 3TBs, I just hate to have that much overhead, but I guess it's moot if I'll have an external. The benefit to the external is less power/heat.

My last HDD failure would have blown chode if I hadn't stuck the bastard in the freezer and it end up working long enough after to get all my data.

EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2018-01-18 07:10pm

There's no doubt that my machine is in need of an upgrade- it's done really well seeing as the CPU and Motherboard are 8 years old, RAM isn't much newer. I just have to decide what chipset to get, first order being the CPU socket. Either it'll be the 2017-spec LGA 2066, or if that's too pricey 2015's 1151.

It has to make use of SLI, as for brand it's going to be either Gigabyte (what I have now) or Asus. Unless they've really gotten their shit together I won't touch MSI with a bargepole since I've had problems with their boards in the past. The new Antec PSU is more than capable of handling any hardware I throw at it so that's not an issue, and it'll be ATX form factor.
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX » 2018-01-18 07:41pm

I've always been a big ASUS fan. SLI support is still in the trash-heap last I checked. No Unreal game can support it natively, most devs don't even bother. I think Blizzard has decent SLI support, but no game they make can even touch my 980ti. I think Prey is like one of the only 2017 games to see any type of performance benefit. Though there are some non-gaming tasks it's good/great for, you're generally better off just paying either a bit more (or a bit less) to buy the biggest beast available for the money.

That said, I did enjoy fucking around with SLI just for the experience.

Idiot update: when I built this rig I talked about how I think I messed up the connections, and I did. Both SSDs were on the ASMedia connectors, not the Intel. So, they've been moved and my DVD players are now on the ASMedia. Another bone-head move is I didn't enable RAID over AHCI, so I can't into RAID without making some changes.

Thankfully, with W10 it's as easy as deleting your AHCI drivers and rebooting into safe mode after enabling RAID. However, since I have more than enough space for the time-being and I don't want to risk bricking my W10 install, I'm just going to hold off until I can make a couple backups. As Windows backup have always been.... finicky, I'm going to at least double up because I can't afford to be down for too long here in the near future.

I've got to find my big stack of DVDs at some point. Got lost in the move. Also, my biggun external HDD.

I also just really don't want to reinstall all my shit. I've got some hiccups right now. Windows did not like me moving stuff around. I crashed out my explorer and now is fighting me to run certain programs. It seems to have scared itself straight, but I may be in for a reinstall at some point either way. Bleh. Either way, I'll hit it with a few hammers to see if I can iron things out.

EDIT: ok, pulled the drive letter off the old drive after copying everything to the 1TB. Gave the 1TB the old drive letter. Seems to be working after a reboot.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX » 2018-01-25 11:55am

So, backups and system restore disc, good to go. Deleted the AHCI controllers, rebooted into safe mode aaaand, keyboard and mouse don't work, the login cursor blinks 5 times, then hard-lock. I am... completely confused here. So, I was swapping around keyboards, unplugging all the everything, couldn't get past the login. In retrospect, I could setup automatic login on a local user account with admin access and at least got to the desktop (hopefully) and see if that solved the problem, but I just got tired of hammering at a 5 minute job for 2 hours. My only other option is to reinstall, then restore from my system image and man I am just not big on that. I can just wait until I need a reformat, but even then it might not be worth switching off of AHCI to RAID just to mess around with this.

Honestly, the RAID gains on an SSD aren't all that viable in a real-world environment either way. On sequential read/writes, sure yea: a RAID 0 array will pull far ahead. But I don't do a lot of those and most SSDs perform WORSE in a raid on random read/writes. So, after all that, I now have a "Client VMs" SSD and a "Server VMs" SSD.

I wanted to run a RAID 1 on two 4TB HDDs as the prices are cheap, but as I said before: I SMART monitor and it would probably just be better to run a big internal drive and an equal-size external, backup to that and keep the copy either in my gunsafe or in my parent's safe, in case there was a fire or something.

Oh maybe this whole thing will convince me to dump a mint on some RAID capable NAS.