"Rate my Rig" thread

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Re: "Rate my Rig" thread

Postby Dominus Atheos » 2017-05-02 06:12pm

TheFeniX wrote:The SSD would be a big boost, especially considering most laptops run 5400 spin HDDs.

Fun stuff: the fan I heard grinding last night. Of course, couldn't be a case fan nor my PSU fan. It's one of the 3 on my 980ti. Fuck.

Is it overclocked, by you or the factory? Because 2 should be fine for stock speeds (the reference design only has 1, 3 is just for e-peen)
Anonymous facebooker on the "Snowmageddon" February 2010 DC snowstorm:

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Postby TheFeniX » 2017-05-02 07:48pm

Agent Fisher wrote:It's the desktop HP Omen, I don't need a laptop anymore, so went with the tower.
I should have picked that up from the GTX. But yea, a SSD would be a noticeable upgrade when you have the time/money. I can't recommend them enough, especially if you've already got enough RAM to get the job done. Don't get me wrong, 16GBs of RAM will help, but not like a SSD (or 2 or 3 or 4) will.

Dominus Atheos wrote:Is it overclocked, by you or the factory? Because 2 should be fine for stock speeds (the reference design only has 1, 3 is just for e-peen)
ASUS Strix (or whatever). It's factory OCed and I could only get another 2-3%, so I didn't bother. It runs cools 99% of the time. Fans don't run 99% of the time.

The grinding fan is just annoying as Hell.

Here's the really fun part. Last night it decided to start "stalling" like I've not seen in years after I replaced the GPU and slid it back into place and tried a game of Heroes of the Storm just to test and end the night out. No CPU/GPU utilization, no memory faults. Nothing: 0% being used but the PC had ticks trying to open/do anything. Fucking CPU was overheating. Watercooled and stock clocked (well, as stock as a 4790K can be). Did it again just now watching NETFLIX.

I've just run a stress test for 20 minutes after pulling it out. 80C at the max and that was in short sprints. Honestly, not damaging but way too high. Sits at ~35C. I checked the screws, seemed tight. Fans and pump are working. I'm going to keep an eye of it and see what happens. But either way, this weekend I guess I'll pull the block and check my paste, but I've never fucked that up before. I don't know what the Hell is going on, but I just wanted to do some last minute studying before my exam tomorrow.

Fucking computers. If it kicks up a fuss again, guess I'm going to the laptop.

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Postby Executor32 » 2017-05-03 04:09am

99.9% sure it's your paste if your fans and coolant pump are working properly. I mean, it could be the paste between the actual CPU chip and the heat spreader, but I've seen or heard of that failing exactly never, so...
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow

Zixinus
Sith Acolyte

Postby Zixinus » 2017-05-07 10:16am

I am wondering: is it worthwhile to upgrade my AMD Athlon X II 640 CPU to a newer FX 8350 or similar (a FX 8370)? Or would latest games, like Prey, still comfortably run on it?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Postby TheFeniX » 2017-05-08 11:28am

Getting pretty old there, but it's still a 3Ghz Quad-Core so you could get something to run on it. That said, the minimum CPU is a Core i5-2400 3.1GHz, which even that kicks the shit out of a 640. But this is 2017, so you can always buy it on Steam and refund if it won't run, either at all or at a level you consider acceptable.

I ripped my computer out to bring it up to the office today to fix it. Left it right by the front door last night so I didn't forget it. I walked right by it. I guess it kind of matches the wall color, but it's huge. I should have painted it neo pink or something.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Postby TheFeniX » 2017-05-09 01:12pm

I summon the power of certification.

Ok, guess I screwed something up way back. Only explanation is that since I wasn't re-A+ certified at the time, I didn't have the required skills to put paste on a flat surface. Also, I'm glad I posted my resting temps because I couldn't remember them. I redid the paste on my heatsink. Pulling it, everything looked fine, but whatever. I cleaned it up, applied paste, and reinstalled the block. Resting temps are now around 25C.

My GPU was another story. The bearings weren't bad on the fan, the entire fan was loose and looks like it could fly off the housing at anytime and was just rattling around everywhere when at speed and was hitting the fan housing until enough friction stopped the motor with a "BRRRT." The 3 fans are all connected with one daisychain, though it's a single wire of the "vine" variety. I found the power connect for the 1st fan and disconnected it. That was a bitch. It's jammed between the fancy-ass plastic cover and the heat-pipes and is one of those semi-permanent connector types, I had to push in two different pins and pry it off while holding the main connect with my needle-nose.

All the while realizing just how close that PCI connector and a whole shitload of delicate parts are while I'm prying hard but not too hard: nerves of steel baby, I cannot afford a new GPU right now.

From personal experience and reading, this would be the "best" fan to go out as, even though the heat sink goes all the way across the card, the fan closest to the video connectors is really only over a few interconnects. Compared to the middle being over the GPU and the back being over the VRAM: "shit sucks, but shit could suck a lot more."

Return to “Gaming, Electronics and Computers”