Gaming overload coming in Q4

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Collossus
Youngling

Gaming overload coming in Q4

Post by Collossus »

Guys I don’t know about you but I was talking to some of my friends here at work about new releases this year and I do believe If I am going to get to have to take out a loan if I get all that are on my list which is as follows:
Duke Nukem - 6-14
Mass Effect 3 - December
Guild Wars - 11-24-11
Skyrim - 11-11-11
Minecraft -11-11-11
Battlefield 3 - November
Old Republic - November
Rebellion (SOSE expansion) - November
Uncharted 3 - 11-1-11
Gears 3 - September
These is in no particular order and please add anything I may have missed or not known about but if anyone has suggestions on what priority you think would be best it would be appreciated.
"The supreme paradox of all thought is the attempt to discover something that thought cannot think."
Kierkegaar
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Re: Gaming overload coming in Q4

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Well, there's all of 3 games on that list I'd buy new and I'm getting one of those for free, so...sucks to be you. :P
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Didn't you hear? Mass Effect 3 is November 8th.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

Yeah, I have to say of the games you listed I only plan on buying a couple and maybe renting a couple of others. I feel your pain though. At the beginning of the year it looked like my gaming budget was going to skyrocket. Fortunately, sort of, the year so far has had some releases that haven't lived up to my expectations (Crysis 2, Dragon Age 2) and I no longer plan on buying, as well as some delays (The Last Guardian), so I won't have to pass up on too many titles.

Still, there's a big list of games I'm looking forward to that you didn't include:

Resistance 3
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Rage
Infamous 2
LA Noire
Witcher 2
Batman: Arkham City
Dark Souls

I don't expect them all to be good, but I'm looking forward to all of their releases.
Magellan
Youngling

Post by Magellan »

Skyward Sword (I'm hearing September or November)
Guild Wars 2 (which has no release date, so I don't know where you got 11-24-11 from)

I'm good with just that.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Hm. Duke Nuken and Old Republic are games that are very high on my "buy" list, Duke for pure hilarity value, and Old Republic because I loved KOTOR. ME3 was on the list, but the only way I'll touch it is if the witless hacks from the DA2 team weren't even allowed in the same building during development, lest their grubby paws and creativity-sucking auras transform it into more gray, half-assed EA slop.

Other than that, it's a few games in the Yet Another Fantasy RPG group, Miligear Wanking 3, and Rail Shooter 3. Joy.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

I need Deus Ex 3 in my veins on day one. Here's hoping Squeenix doesn't feel like charging the Australia tax for the AU steam release like EA/Activision do. Mass Effect 3 I'm obliged to get on day one, but I'll probably be able to hold off on everything else. Arkham City I'll buy, but probably not straight away.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Didn't you hear? Mass Effect 3 is November 8th.
Where did you hear that?
Collossus
Youngling

Post by Collossus »

I heard ME release dates rumours of the 3rd, 8th, 9th....etc I didnt know they had nailed one down yet....
"The supreme paradox of all thought is the attempt to discover something that thought cannot think."
Kierkegaar
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

adam_grif wrote:I need Deus Ex 3 in my veins on day one. Here's hoping Squeenix doesn't feel like charging the Australia tax for the AU steam release like EA/Activision do.
I haven't been paying much attention to Deus Ex 3 recently. Please tell me it won't be Steam exclusive.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Magellan wrote:Skyward Sword (I'm hearing September or November)
Time to start getting into shape.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Of all those games, only three or four interest me.
Still though, combined with Portal 2, this year looks somewhat promising.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Collossus
Youngling

Post by Collossus »

True, I guess there are only 3 or so that I will HAVE to get the others are just wants. All in all this year may suck for movie releases but at least we will get some awesome games!
Kierkegaar
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

houser2112 wrote:
adam_grif wrote:I need Deus Ex 3 in my veins on day one. Here's hoping Squeenix doesn't feel like charging the Australia tax for the AU steam release like EA/Activision do.
I haven't been paying much attention to Deus Ex 3 recently. Please tell me it won't be Steam exclusive.
According to the valve site it's a Steamworks title (you redeem your retail copy on Steam ala HL2). Whether it will come out on competing Digital Distribution services or not is anyone's guess.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Magellan
Youngling

Post by Magellan »

SirNitram wrote:
Magellan wrote:Skyward Sword (I'm hearing September or November)
Time to start getting into shape.
What's worrying me is that Zelda might get pushed back, because outside of all those announcements they've made this week, we've gotten no mention of Zelda.

They admitted to Project Cafe
They said Mario Kart 3DS would be coming out this year
They gave Ocarina of Time 3DS a release date

Its like, Zelda is literally the only Wii title that anyone is going to care about this year, just give a date already.
Collossus
Youngling

Post by Collossus »

As with all systems the first mention of a next gen replacement and most news is focused on it. I hope E3 is where a lot of answers come forth about upcoming titles. another thing that's disappointing is The Heart of the Swarm expansion for SC2 probably won’t be out this year like they said it would. -.-
Kierkegaar
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Stofsk wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:Didn't you hear? Mass Effect 3 is November 8th.
Where did you hear that?
Thought it was mentioned in one of these Game Informer interviews but upon re-examinaation I might be misremembering
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

adam_grif wrote:According to the valve site it's a Steamworks title (you redeem your retail copy on Steam ala HL2). Whether it will come out on competing Digital Distribution services or not is anyone's guess.
Gah. That's actually what I meant to ask. If I buy it retail, I don't want to have to log in to Steam to play it. That'll be a skip, then.
doom3607
Jedi Knight

Post by doom3607 »

Sword of the Stars 2 doesn't quite count- it comes out September 2. I just felt it had to be mentioned since it's close and looks to be even better than 1. More genocidal killing sprees, with better graphics and bigger and badder-ass warships! :twisted:
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I could never get into Sword of the Stars, maybe I just dont like turn based games.

SINS: Rebellion on the other hand, definitely interested in. Might even pre-order it while I have the cash so I can get in on the beta like I did with Diplomacy.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Aw man, Sword of the Stars, what a laugh. That game was so bad they took my mod and called it an expansion.

If the sequel is good, though, that's fine. I'm not going to grandfather my criticism in. I really hope it IS good. I know nothing about it, but if they actually made a turn-based strategy game that played fast and didn't suck, it would be fun. I really hope they took the modder and community comments to heart though, and will re-evaluate some of the basic principles of SOTS1. There's no shame in adapting to what people say.

Of that list of coming-outs, my only interest is Skyrim. I have never gotten into the Mass Effect franchise (1 sucked and 2 was apparently a lot better if you'd played 1 so I didn't play it either) and I've got no interest in Minecraft. Uncharted and Duke might be fun though, especially Nukem just for the nostalgia and to say "I played Duke Nukem Forever," which at one point would have been the biggest vaporware trophy ever. But it'll be a fun time for a lot of people.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I'm personally eagerly waiting for Witcher 2. I just replayed the first one (director's cut and everything, although barely noticed the difference and then I added my own texture packs).

The only two other games I plan to buy short-term is Duke Nukem (maybe) and Deux Ex 3(?).

Of course, the only games I plan to pre-purchase. I'm still looking forward to other games, like Dead Island.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Andehtron
Youngling

Post by Andehtron »

Also Forza 4 is due towards the end of the year.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who." -Monty Python and the Holy Grail
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Another Assassin's Creed game coming out in November, too.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Another Assassin's Creed game coming out in November, too.
Assasins Creed 3 ? Or something like Brotherhood ?
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.