Crave privacy? New tech knocks out digital cameras

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Crave privacy? New tech knocks out digital cameras

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

hers at the Georgia Institute of Technology have come up with an inexpensive way to prevent digital cameras and digital video cameras from capturing that secret shot.

The technology they've devised detects the presence of a digital camera up to 33 feet away and can then shoot a targeted beam of light at the lens, according to Shwetak Patel, a grad student at the university and one of the lead researchers on the project.
click to view photos of prototype

That means that someone trying for a surreptitious snapshot of, say, a product prototype or an amorous couple gets something altogether less useful--a blurry picture (or a video) of what looks like a flashlight beam, seen head on. (A video of how the system works can be viewed here.)

The group has developed a lab prototype--which consists of a digital projector with a modified video camera mounted on top--but will soon design a device that could be manufactured and sold commercially. The group, which presented a paper on its work at Ubicomp (The Seventh International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing) in Tokyo last week, is also in contact with large consumer electronics manufacturers.

Though photo-foiling gadgets are one possibility, the technology might also eventually be incorporated into digital projectors and other devices as a feature.

The Georgia Tech researchers aren't alone in their pursuit. Tech giant Hewlett-Packard, for one, has applied for a patent on technology that could remotely cause blurry pictures in digital cameras, but it requires putting additional circuitry inside the camera. HP and others are also working on projection technology meant to stymie video piracy.

The technology is a stab at ameliorating the privacy problems that have arisen with the advent, quick ubiquity and tiny dimensions of digital cameras. Nearly 85 percent of cell phones in Japan come with built-in digital cameras, and the figure for North America and Western Europe is supposed to rise to 80 percent by the end of next year, according to market researcher Gartner.

"It certainly is a concern, and it has been a concern since cameras have gotten really small," said Steve Baker, an analyst at NPD Group. "It is a lab trick that has some real-world application."

Companies commonly confiscate digital cameras temporarily from visitors coming to their labs or confidential meetings. "But you can't confiscate a phone. Someone might be expecting an important call," Patel said.

Many companies also maintain strict no-photography policies in quasi public places. Someone trying to take pictures inside a Wal-Mart or an electronics boutique will immediately draw a warning, or expulsion. Conferences also have similar rules. Patel himself got in trouble trying to take a picture of a "No Photography" sign to illustrate where the

Continued ...
This might even be used in cinemas, sounds interesting if it's easy to set up and maintain.
link
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Crave privacy? New tech knocks out digital cameras

Post by Mr Bean »

DEATH wrote: This might even be used in cinemas, sounds interesting if it's easy to set up and maintain.
link
Except for the whole bright beam of light part. Not to mention the video camera will have to be either an expensive low-light verison or its not going to see anything but a dark theater.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Hotfoot

Re: Crave privacy? New tech knocks out digital cameras

Post by Hotfoot »

Mr Bean wrote:
DEATH wrote: This might even be used in cinemas, sounds interesting if it's easy to set up and maintain.
link
Except for the whole bright beam of light part. Not to mention the video camera will have to be either an expensive low-light verison or its not going to see anything but a dark theater.
Actually, the light doesn't have to be visible, it can be Infrared. CCDs pick up Infrared very clearly (part of why they work so well in low-light situation). Flooding the cinima with infrared light would render CCDs virtually worthless while having no impact on actually watching the movie.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

I think a better title would be "New Technology uses Lasers to Blind Camera Operators", since that's exactly what is likely to happen.
"I have also a paper afloat, with an electromagnetic theory of light, which, till I am convinced to the contrary, I hold to be great guns."
-- James Clerk Maxwell (1831-1879) Scottish physicist. In a letter to C. H. Cay, 5 January 1865.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

So how exactly are they detecting a fairly passive instrument?
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

Solution: Use a film camera instead.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
nickolay1
Jedi Knight

Post by nickolay1 »

Solution two (for the single beam version mentioned in the original arrticle, not the IR flooding method proposed): Use decoys.
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

CCDs pick up Infrared very clearly (part of why they work so well in low-light situation). Flooding the cinima with infrared light would render CCDs virtually worthless while having no impact on actually watching the movie.
What about CMOS sensors? Are they subject to the same vulnerability?
The Great and Malignant
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I don't see how a bright beam of light would be a problem in a theater; it just makes it that much easier for the staff to find out who's trying to record the movie and kick them out.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

SPOOFE wrote:
CCDs pick up Infrared very clearly (part of why they work so well in low-light situation). Flooding the cinima with infrared light would render CCDs virtually worthless while having no impact on actually watching the movie.
What about CMOS sensors? Are they subject to the same vulnerability?
Good question, I honestly don't know. Do you know the differences between the ways CMOS and CCD work, or perhaps a site that better describes the technology?
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

The second page of the article says that both CCD and CMOS imagers are vulnerable.

I'm wondering if the system could be overwhelmed by just having a few lenses hanging from your person that were even more reflective than the camera lens.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Put a mirror in front of your camera, deflect the beam into the audience, ticking off some customer till he complains and makes them shut off the device.

Problem solved.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Praxis wrote:Put a mirror in front of your camera, deflect the beam into the audience, ticking off some customer till he complains and makes them shut off the device.

Problem solved.
If it's Infrared, nobody will give a shit.
Uraniun235 wrote:The second page of the article says that both CCD and CMOS imagers are vulnerable.

I'm wondering if the system could be overwhelmed by just having a few lenses hanging from your person that were even more reflective than the camera lens.
Hmm, fair enough. Does it say visible spectrum, or are they just using the public-confusing term "light"?
The Realm of Confusion
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Praxis wrote:Put a mirror in front of your camera, deflect the beam into the audience, ticking off some customer till he complains and makes them shut off the device.

Problem solved.
Easier... put an infrared filter over the camera. Voila, now they have to use visible light to overload it, thereby making patrons pissed...
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Beowulf wrote:

Problem solved.
Easier... put an infrared filter over the camera. Voila, now they have to use visible light to overload it, thereby making patrons pissed...
tightbeam visible light to blind the camera and spotlight the user so that the staff can confiscate the film and kick the guy out.

Don't see much of a problem.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Matt Huang wrote:
tightbeam visible light to blind the camera and spotlight the user so that the staff can confiscate the film and kick the guy out.

Don't see much of a problem.[/quote]
The fact it has to activley see the Camera agian. Not to mention as above, people can wear the lense neckleses. And movie employee's can't exactly do strip searches on patrons.

Not to mention it does nothing to stop the best(And semi-most common rips) That done by the film projector operators.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton