Revolution controller revealed

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Revolution controller revealed

Post by Qwerty 42 »

+http://www.1up.com/media?id=2308865&type=lg

I've got a bad feeling about this

woo, youngling now
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Bastard, you posted this seconds before I was going to. The link to the article is here.

It reminds me of those airline controllers... Looks like a return to the old style NES controllers. It looks a little too small, I think.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I was thinking how this doesn't seem revolutionary at all. We've only been doing this since Duck Hunt.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

To call this diffrent. Is a massive fucking understatement.... Oh shit Nintendo have you gone insane? But wait conventional controlers are aviable based on this design so we could see a Gamecube esk controler with the full tilt-awirel built in.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

there was speculation on IGN and GameFAQs that the controller was shown earlier, and the demos lend creedence, for what it's worth.
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Well I guess this tells us there'll be no FPS's on the Revouloution
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

how do you figure?
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I would think aiming would actually be easier than a d-pad or stick. No match for a proper mouse, of course, but a step in the right direction.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

According to IGN, the controller will actually have the potential to be very good in FPSs.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html
IGN Said:
Demo 8: First Person Shooting
So, we lied -- not all of the demonstrations were completely crude graphics. For the final demo, the one that most represented how a game might feel with the Revolution controller, Nintendo displayed what was apparently a test by the team at Retro Studios for what they could do with Metroid Prime 3. They stressed it was just a test, quickly thrown together in just a few weeks. For this, the analog control stick peripheral was used. We held it in our left hand to control the forwards, backwards, and side-strafing motions, as well as having access to triggers in back for scanning; meanwhile, the right hand used the main Revolution remote control to behave just like a mouse on a personal computer. It was a very natural application and felt pretty smooth, but since it wasn't a polished game it did feel a bit awkward at times, making us wonder what kind of things a developer could do to calibrate these kinds of controls for users. Nonetheless, the potential is huge for the FPS genre.
Edited to add:
I think the controller could be very cool, but I'm not sure about the form factor. Why didn't they design it to hit all the buttons on the surface with the thumb EASILY? A is clearly the default button, but with your thumb best positioned to use it, you can't use the D-pad, and you can't hit b or a.
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS
"Sufficiently advanced technology is often indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law
"Then, from sea to shining sea, the God-King sang the praises of teflon, and with his face to the sunshine, he churned lots of butter." -- Body of a pharmacy spam email

Here's my avatar, full-sized (Yoshitoshi ABe's autograph in my Lain: Omnipresence artbook)
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

well, that depends on what you're trying to do. In an FPS, you'd hold is as illustrated, but in a platformer you'd tilt it like a traditional NES controller, I presume.
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

I know Nintendo likes to be innovative, but I think this is a little much. I can see this scaring off a lot of gamers.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

which is why Nintendo should try to make it as cheap as possible, to make it a "second-choice" sort of thing.
Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

Qwerty 42 wrote:well, that depends on what you're trying to do. In an FPS, you'd hold is as illustrated, but in a platformer you'd tilt it like a traditional NES controller, I presume.
Oh, I see that now. Didn't even occur to me before. The lack of screenshots showing it in that position didn't help.
Now the design is a bit less short-sighted than I thought. Still, no shoulder buttons in that position?
And the screenshot here shows that the controller thickens as it goes towards the a and b buttons, which would unbalance it in a NES position...

Hrm. We've still got a year, I suppose.
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS
"Sufficiently advanced technology is often indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law
"Then, from sea to shining sea, the God-King sang the praises of teflon, and with his face to the sunshine, he churned lots of butter." -- Body of a pharmacy spam email

Here's my avatar, full-sized (Yoshitoshi ABe's autograph in my Lain: Omnipresence artbook)
Captain tycho
Has Elected to Receive

Post by Captain tycho »

It would probably be nice, if it was just an option and not the default controller.
Captain Tycho!
The worst fucker ever!
The Best reciever ever!
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

....Wow. That's just.. It's crazy. In a brilliant, brilliant way. I've often reflected on how crowded the PS2 controller is, and while you can adjust to it, trying to get non-gamers into it can be a little tricky.

This is a mark of serious, total simplicity. I like the controller. It's simple, streamlined, and has that one thing I've been begging the Dark Gods for: A power button you can use from across the room for the console.

The bit that captures me is this..
For this, the analog control stick peripheral was used.
An expansion for the controller... And it clearly has a slot for an expansion. A controller which can incorporate new input devices? It could really lead to some innovative things.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Holy SHIT! The entire "TV remote" assembly is motion sensitive - you can play air hockey just by swinging the thing around... Thats mad!
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Imagine the next Legend of Zelda. The swordplay alone....

Ooh, imagine what that would mean for a Star Wars game!
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Holy SHIT! The entire "TV remote" assembly is motion sensitive - you can play air hockey just by swinging the thing around... Thats mad!
Ok, I didnt realise this; I thought it only had 1 stick for aiming and the D-pad for moving.

And besides, everyone using this will look pretty retarded with them swinging their arm about the air like that :P
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Huh... That's, um... Hm...

EDIT: I want a red one!!!!
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Wow! If it's implemented well then it could be brilliant. I think it actually lived up to the hype, for the moment, but I hope that the cord connecting the two units is long enough--it looks a little too short to allow for full range-of-motion with both hands in that one. REALLY clever design, though. It should make aiming a breeze in FPS's and the like.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

I love it
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Loner
Jedi Knight

Post by Loner »

It should also be noted that if people are put off by the new controller, the system will have the option to use the GC controller.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:Well I guess this tells us there'll be no FPS's on the Revouloution

To quote 1UP:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782
As odd as it may look holding the two separate controller pieces, one in each hand, looking around felt incredibly natural, even more than my preferred PC-style keyboard-and-mouse setup.

I was disappointed at first glance but I kept reading. And this is some amazing stuff.

It's got the pointer capability of the light gun, plus tilt/motion/depth sensing gyroscopes, expandability, etc. This thing is awesome.

Hands on articles:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782
http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html
http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651301p1.html

And the video:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334p1.html
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

I'm going to go insane imagining the possibilities.

Racing game. Tilt control. 'nuff said.

Perfect accuracy in an FPS.

Online multiplayer baseball game; the player pitching literally throws the ball, the other player literally swings the bat...this might be the first console sports game I buy in ten years! :lol:

Mario Kart!

Swordfighting in Zelda!

WARIOWARE!

Wow.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Check out this pic (also posted above)

Anyone notice the HOME button?
Last edited by Praxis on 2005-09-16 02:21am, edited 1 time in total.