Japan to deploy mega-satellite for broadband

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Chmee
Sith Marauder

Japan to deploy mega-satellite for broadband

Post by Chmee »

INTERNET SPACE
Japan Plans Giant Broadband Satellite

Tokyo (UPI) Aug 08, 2005

Japanese government officials say they will develop a new communications satellite to provide broadband services that are as fast as fiber optic cable.

Japan's Internal Affairs and Communications Ministry said the new satellite will make it possible to send and receive data at a maximum speed of 100 megabits per second in mountainous areas and remote islands, as well as aboard Shinkansen bullet trains, airplanes and ships.

The ministry plans to incorporate research and development funding in its fiscal 2006 budget request and plans to begin services by 2015.

Officials noted since satellites are immune to damage by earthquakes or floods, they can be used to send live images of disaster-stricken areas and provide information to disaster victims.

The satellite will have a dish antenna measuring 66 feet in diameter. It will be four times larger in diameter and 16 times larger in surface area than a conventional satellite antenna.

The satellite will be able to receive weak signals - even a cell phone with relatively low power output would be able to communicate at a maximum speed of 10 megabits per second, or at least four times faster than existing third generation cell phones.
Link

:shock:
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Damn you, pathetic Japanese!
[/Crypto]

I wish MY country wasn't stuck in 1901 as far as telecoms goes.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Holy...living...fuck!
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Yeeesh. Places like Tokyo already have 50 to 100 megabit connections for home. But that's not fast enough for them Japanese, is it, eh!?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Alright raise hands here, who thinks Japan's next Sat will be one with a giant Laser to "defend agisnt Gozilla if and when he returns?"

Holy shit, thats some good speed. But for gamers, once agian.. useless since the 320mil-second delay involved will add a minium of 390 mil-seconds to any ping results.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

Yay for 250ms ping each way!
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
Tiger Ace
Jedi Knight

Post by Tiger Ace »

/UT announcer
HOLY SHIT!
Useless geek posting above.

Its Ace Pace.
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Mr Bean wrote:Holy shit, thats some good speed. But for gamers, once agian.. useless since the 320mil-second delay involved will add a minium of 390 mil-seconds to any ping results.
The gamers outside of the remote areas already have 100mbps direct connections anyway. For those few who might need this service, it's certainly a lot better than whatever the hell they would have already had.

I'm quite impressed with the phone speed, I must say. WAP is a fairly large thing in Japan, so I can imagine that service getting quite a lot of use.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos