EVE Online news and updates

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

EVE Online news and updates

Post by Dartzap »

In semi-slowboat related news - CCP just announced they are removing the learning skills and just giving everyone the standard 20 on all but charisma. Coming early December, apparently.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Re: Getting out of EVE - offloading stuff

Post by ArmorPierce »

Dartzap wrote:In semi-slowboat related news - CCP just announced they are removing the learning skills and just giving everyone the standard 20 on all but charisma. Coming early December, apparently.
Makes sense. The fact that newbs had to spend a month on learning skilsl before anything else is stupid as hell. Are people getting a refund on the skills invested into the learning skills?

On a side note, I never got into the game. In what other game are you still considered a newb after playing for 6 months?
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

ArmorPierce wrote: Are people getting a refund on the skills invested into the learning skills?
Yes, there is also some reimbursement for people who own skillbooks.
Prannon
Jedi Knight

Post by Prannon »

bilateralrope wrote:
ArmorPierce wrote: Are people getting a refund on the skills invested into the learning skills?
Yes, there is also some reimbursement for people who own skillbooks.
Definitely looking forward to when that SP reimbursement is made. I have some skills that I would absolutely love to get up to the next level for practically no time at all. :D
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Dartzap wrote:In semi-slowboat related news - CCP just announced they are removing the learning skills and just giving everyone the standard 20 on all but charisma. Coming early December, apparently.
And of course, just to prove you can't please everybody, people are raging on the official forums that CCP is "taking away player choice and customization" and "Screw the noobs, keep the learning skills!"
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Prannon
Jedi Knight

Post by Prannon »

I honestly find that sort of attitude among established players deplorable. There's this whole subsection of the EVE population that tends to hold newer players with nothing but disdain, and then complains and whinges and whines endlessly about how their superior skill, time in the game, and loyalty to CCP is being unfairly brought down by blobs of "newbs" with failfits and piss poor FCs. The game mechanics must be broken! :ragequit:

The game changes as it takes on more players. CCP has an evolving business model for EVE Online. Turns out that superior numbers is really a viable tactic in war! (Russia v. Germany anyone?) Who knew???

Fuck the whiners. I'm looking forward to the changes and I have nothing against newer players who can find their way in the game. :)
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

Prannon wrote:I honestly find that sort of attitude among established players deplorable. There's this whole subsection of the EVE population that tends to hold newer players with nothing but disdain, and then complains and whinges and whines endlessly about how their superior skill, time in the game, and loyalty to CCP is being unfairly brought down by blobs of "newbs" with failfits and piss poor FCs. The game mechanics must be broken! :ragequit:
It's not really an "EVE" issue, in my opinion; I think it's a subset of the gamer population in general. When I was playing MUDs back in the dark ages I remember longer-term players getting furious at "handholding" because new players to one game wanted towns to be made a little safer from PvP. The town guards were basically useless against a high-level player, so they could walk into town and slaughter people without any real issues. The game had a small playerbase, limits on how many copies of the better items were in game, and you could loot other players naked. The oldschool players tended to make damn sure all the good gear was either on them or in storage. I know several people who played WoW and got mad because "it's ezmode now" and those damned "casual" gamers could start getting into the same content and getting the same gear as the "serious" players. And there're gamers who sneer at the Wii and Kinect because, once again, they're "casual" gaming consoles and not "real" games.

There seems to be a need among some gamers to feel like being good at computer/video games (or at least spending a hell of a lot of time on them) makes them superior. Sort of like the stereotyped "jock" mentality but with less getting laid and more griefing people online.

EVE's reputation for having a brutal learning curve, and the game's ongoing flaws, may contribute to the issue by attracting players who want to feel like they're "elite." Or at least masochistic.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Re: EVE Online news and updates

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Well, getting back a million or so skill points will definitely help make moving into capships go a lot faster.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

After recently getting dragged into EVE again, I really could use those points I "wasted" in learnings on other things. But the nerd rage of some is quite hilarious...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

As I'm sure the majority of people know: Eve goes down from 10:00 GMT/UTC and will..ahaha..supposedly be back before 16:00. Heres hoping for a remap when we get allowed back on in 3 days....
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

Yay! Tech2 Sentry Drones Day on my Gallente character! Total no-brainer since I'm flying around in a Dominix and that'll save me about a month of training for a nice DPS boost.

Still haven't figured out what I'm doing with my Caldari though. Debating between Cruisers 5 on my way to a Tengu or Cruise Missiles 5/specialization for an upgrade to my Raven...

I've still got a remap on both characters so *if* they give one (I haven't heard they will) hopefully it'll stack with the current one...but I'm not holding my breath.
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

I didnt get a free remap, hoping today's extra patch fixes that. 4.7million SP to re-assign, god knows where I am going to put them, but I know I'll end up regretting it and kicking myself later whatever I decide!
Glimmervoid
Jedi Master
Location: Some were in the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm.

Post by Glimmervoid »

Well, I just got a email informing me that I have '306,405 Unspent Skill Points Await You in EVE Online.' Between that, and the five free days it’s offering me, I think I might give EVE another go, as soon as I get off work for the holidays. I think I was flying a Myrmidon when a lost stopped. Re-buying the insurance is going to be a big kick to my finances…
Falarica
Youngling

Post by Falarica »

CCP have announced they're changing the UI. I don't really see whats wrong with it though, apart from the tiny text.

Eve UI Overhaul Dev Blog

Your thoughts?
Commence primary legislation!

If aliens every really tried to contact us it'd be through the internet. Then 4chan would probably scare them off.
Pintsize - Questionable Content
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Falarica wrote:CCP have announced they're changing the UI. I don't really see whats wrong with it though, apart from the tiny text.

Eve UI Overhaul Dev Blog

Your thoughts?
Wow, when I read that they were going to change the UI, I got excited. Turns out their just changing the neocom. Yay...

Ah well. I guess even a little bit of improvement is still an improvement.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Hm, looks interesting. Will probably try it out...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

Falarica wrote:CCP have announced they're changing the UI. I don't really see whats wrong with it though, apart from the tiny text.

Eve UI Overhaul Dev Blog

Your thoughts?
The tiny text is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. The UI is also not terribly user-friendly; a friend of mine playing EVE has arthritis in his hands and trouble using a mouse, so the EVE click-fest is rough on him. Admittedly, part of the problem may be that there are keyboard shortcuts neither of us has found out about yet, but more and better keyboard commands would be useful. Hell, I'd love to be able to assign a button to launch a specific "group" of drones rather than go through the drop-down menu -- my character's in a Dominix and has to juggle drone squadrons quite frequently on missions depending on ranges and targets.
Falarica
Youngling

Post by Falarica »

Temjin wrote:Wow, when I read that they were going to change the UI, I got excited. Turns out their just changing the neocom. Yay...

Ah well. I guess even a little bit of improvement is still an improvement.
Ah, neocom =/= UI, should have remembered that...

Sorry about getting your hopes up.
Commence primary legislation!

If aliens every really tried to contact us it'd be through the internet. Then 4chan would probably scare them off.
Pintsize - Questionable Content
Paula42
Youngling

Post by Paula42 »

Im all for it, as far as im concerned the faster noobs get into better ships and use more expensive kit the faster i can blow them up and steal it. :twisted:
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

I have been thinking about coming back to the game...but I'm really not sure if I could pick up the interface again.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.