which bit-torrent clients should I look at ?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

which bit-torrent clients should I look at ?

Post by bilateralrope »

I recently switched from using Azureus to using µTorrent for downloading torrents. So far the only differences I've noticed is that µTorrent doesn't have features I never cared about loads a lot faster than Azureus ever did annd has a third priority option for files within a torrent. So far the only problems I've had have come from my not being used to the µTorrent GUI.

So I'm wondering if there are any other bit-torrent clients you guys recommend I try ?

Also how well does the auto speed adjustment work for the various clients ?
Setting the upload limit manually is easy enough, but I'd prefer to use the automatic limit adjustment if it works.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

For Windows, µTorrent is about as good as it gets. KTorrent on Linux is a close second, despite a few extremely annoying bugs, but I doubt that's an option for you.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I love uTorrent. Use it all the time.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

I am intrigued by your ideas, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. Image

You have influenced me to sample µTorrent, and it has now gained another convert from Azureus thanks to its extremely low footprint, lack of useless features (I'm looking at you, Vuze!), and more sensible GUI.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Still using Azureus on Linux- I try to avoid any QT using apps if possible (except Virtualbox and SMPlayer) due to my obsession w/ keeping my entire UI GTK-based for consistency- plus w/ 4 gigs of RAM, who cares how bloated Azureus is :D ?

Azureus from the repos still uses 2.5 though w/o the Vuze bullshit.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I've been using Bittornado for years and it works just fine.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

I use utorrent myself but there are other options such as bitcomet.The choice is yours.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

DarthShady wrote:I use utorrent myself but there are other options such as bitcomet.The choice is yours.
Bitcomet used to be decent, but they're really dropping the ball lately - especially with the ridiculous "padding" thing. µTorrent gives you the same features at a fraction of the resource cost.
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

Whenever I'm on a windows machine, I use uTorrent. It's Deluge for me on Linux, simply because I found Azureus to be too unstable.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Don't use Bitcomet. Many clients still auto-blacklist Bitcomet due to the whole 'cheating/leeching' thing. Unless you want a feature utorrent doesn't have (like fucking kickban for instance) just use that.
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Transmission, because it hammers the tracker.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I'm not jive with BitTorrent technology, but "hammers the tracker" doesn't sound like a particularly positive thing.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Braedley wrote:Whenever I'm on a windows machine, I use uTorrent. It's Deluge for me on Linux, simply because I found Azureus to be too unstable.
Odd, I've found the opposite, w/ Deluge being extremely flaky, w/ nonfunctional UPnP support (useful if you have multiple computers using bittorrent simultaneously and feel too lazy to manually port forward). Azureus is flaky if you're using a non-sun Java (Ubuntu uses GCJ by default).

The existance of utorrent sort annoys me, now that it's the official Bittorrent client, since the Mac and Linux versions haven't been updated since (and source has been closed off). Not that it was any good anyway.

[Edit] Apparently Deluge in the repos is significantly out of date. Oh well, too lazy to be bothered to switch back to Deluge since Azureus does everything and then some.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

Pu-239 wrote:
Braedley wrote:Whenever I'm on a windows machine, I use uTorrent. It's Deluge for me on Linux, simply because I found Azureus to be too unstable.
Odd, I've found the opposite, w/ Deluge being extremely flaky, w/ nonfunctional UPnP support (useful if you have multiple computers using bittorrent simultaneously and feel too lazy to manually port forward). Azureus is flaky if you're using a non-sun Java (Ubuntu uses GCJ by default).
Perhaps that's my problem. I don't have a problem with Deluge because I'm behind a switch, not a router, although we'll see if I ever try to use it at home.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Ares Galaxy and uTorrent. I'm probably gonna re-link torrents to open in uTorrent tho.
Image Image
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Pu-239 wrote:The existance of utorrent sort annoys me, now that it's the official Bittorrent client
...huh? When did that happen? Oo;
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

I missed it too, but now that I tried out utorrent, it's massively awesome. So I converted.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
MJ12 Commando
Padawan Learner

Post by MJ12 Commando »

Uraniun235 wrote:I love uTorrent. Use it all the time.
I agree on uTorrent. It's really an excellent, low-profile client.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Archaic` wrote:
Pu-239 wrote:The existance of utorrent sort annoys me, now that it's the official Bittorrent client
...huh? When did that happen? Oo;
Last year.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Is Bittorrent bad? Or should I try something else?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

That depends. If you're using version 5 or older, there are much better choices out there. If you're using version 6, it's µTorrent with a different icon and name in the title bar.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Executor32 wrote:That depends. If you're using version 5 or older, there are much better choices out there. If you're using version 6, it's µTorrent with a different icon and name in the title bar.
I've got version 5. So what better choices are there?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Darth Massacrus
Youngling

Post by Darth Massacrus »

for a while, I used Arctic torrent because it was very simple (almost minimalistic) but now use uTorrent.
S.I.T.H.: Seeks Illicit Teachings and Heresies

Breaking news: News Channel13's helicopter has crashed. News Channel13 is first on the scene...

I bid you Dark Greetings....