I want to play Strike Commander

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Tolya
Jedi Council Member

I want to play Strike Commander

Post by Tolya »

Ok, so this may sound stupid, but...

I've never properly played Strike Commander. When it was released I was a little kid with almost no knowledge of English language. Plus, I had a pirate version of the game which made your wingmen attack you. I've played Pacific Strike which was a bit later, but never Strike Commander.

Now, I am on a Windows 7 machine and I've seen some internet projects like DosBox resuming functionality to some old gems. So is there a way to run SC? And where can I get it?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: I want to play Strike Commander

Post by Stark »

Googling 'Strike Commander Win7' shows that it'll work in dosbox, but christ only knows where you'll get a legitimate copy these days.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Yeah, it seems that DosBox started fully supporting Strike Commander. Last time I had it it didn't.

Now for the fun part. It seems that amazon still has copies of SC. For 79,99 dollars! 8 floppy disk version no less. Fuck them.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Tolya wrote:Now for the fun part. It seems that amazon still has copies of SC. For 79,99 dollars! 8 floppy disk version no less. Fuck them.
Be patient. EA signed up with Good Old Games and Origin titles are already starting to appear. Its only a matter of time until Strike Commander is one of the games released. Then you get a completely legal digital pre-configured to run in a modern OS for an extremely reasonable price.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

I fervently hope this comes to pass. Strike Commander was the very first game I played when the 486 got upgraded with a soundblaster and a cdrom drive :)
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I still have the CD. :) Haven't played it in years and never finished the game. I should once life has stopped shitting on me. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

I got a copy on ebay a couple years ago. Try and get the full original box if you can.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

That was a great game. It was like a WW2 sim in modern times, given that the gun was the most useful weapon and missiles were too expensive / missed too often :)

Will get it if it comes out on GOG.com. I've still got my old copy of course, but you know.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Andehtron
Youngling

Post by Andehtron »

I got a copy on budget around 2000....was the CD version complete with add on disc and F-4 phantoms as a new baddie. I may still have it in my garage....somewhere. Or it in my fathers massive 32yr old, multi platform archive of cassettes, floppies of all sizes, CDs ands DVDs that he just hasn't thrown out.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who." -Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Vympel wrote:That was a great game. It was like a WW2 sim in modern times, given that the gun was the most useful weapon and missiles were too expensive / missed too often :)
To me it was more like "Wing Commander on Eaaaarth". Very unrealistic flight model, arcade style "avionics" and radar, but definitely very fun game to play. I bought it from a bargain bin somewhere around 1995 and played it through back then. Might still have my copy (floppies, IIRC) somewhere, but unfortunately it has very little replay value. The graphics were good by early 1990s standards, but of course 320x200 pixels in 256 colors is 'somewhat' outdated now :mrgreen: