World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: World of Warships

Post by Thanas »

Nephtys wrote:So uh. I put 5 dollars into the secret santa.

I got 1500 dubloons and a Tirpitz out of it.

What the hell, WG slot machine?! Thank you!

Congrats, now you will never want for credits again. 100 games with her should net you about 25 mil. profit. She is an awesome ship and the best money-maker in the game.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Here is a fun thing: Share your warships.today evaluation. (Go to warships.today, select correct server and type in your name).

Here is mine:
Mostly plays battleships, especially high-tier and is very good in them
Deals a very large amount of damage
Very rarely uses torpedoes
Key vehicle - Clemson
And I am now the number 3 clemson player on the entire server. All that clubbing paid off.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Mine is slightly less flattering, but not terrible.
High level overview wrote: Mostly plays cruisers, especially low-tier and is good in them
Deals an above average amount of damage
Key vehicle - Atago
If anybody wants my full stats: http://warships.today/player/1002896379/na/JubTanks
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Plays a mix of battleships (good) and cruisers (very good)
Extremely rarely uses torpedoes
Key vehicle - New York
Been working cruisers more than battleships lately. I kinda got burned out grinding for the Colorado so been focusing on US, Japanese, and German cruisers. I want to get into the Cleveland and the Nurnburg.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Plays a mix of cruisers (very good) and battleships (very good)
Key vehicle - Wyoming
Well, there's that. There's still a few things I haven't gotten a hang of in WoWS but I do try.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Mostly plays cruisers, especially low-tier and is excellent in them
Deals a large amount of damage
Often finishes damaged enemies
Key vehicle - Furutaka

(mostly low tier due to only having about 450 games)

Actually surprised it rated my key vehicle as Furutaka as well, because I played about half my games in it pre-buff when it was floating shit and my winrate in it is terrible. (though after the buff it's great and I think I got my highest score in it).
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I'd stay away from the game today if you value having good teams. I haven't seen this level of lemming train failure combined with CV spam since the last 5x weekend.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Mostly plays cruisers, especially low-tier and is excellent in them
Deals a very large amount of damage
Key vehicle - Cleveland

The thing's pretty flattering. I wonder what it's criteria is for 'unicum' and 'super-unicum'.
Also Cleveland, yeaaaaaaah!
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Mostly plays battleships, especially low-tier and is very good in them
Key vehicle - Myogi
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Just picked up a New York. It has no virtues what-so-ever.
The 'armor' it gains over a Kongo is pointless, as angling in this game is superior to armor once you have enough to prevent a frontal citadel pen. It's guns have greater dispersion. Although it gains an awkward Q turret for theoretically 2 more guns than a Kongo, it's got a lower ROF to make up for it.

Worse rudder shift, inability to mount the rudder module... hell, worse range even with the range boost module plus worse speed... can't see a reason to ever take NY out instead of my Kongo, which can fight even some Tier 7s with reasonable chances.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Nephtys wrote:The thing's pretty flattering. I wonder what it's criteria is for 'unicum' and 'super-unicum'.
I've gotten the unicum rating for my gameplay over the last few days and it seems to be mostly high winrate and higher damage than the average. As far as I understand the ratings translate to normal english like:

- good = below average
- very good = average
- excellent = above average
- unicum and super univum = top percentiles of players.
------------
------------
My LPs
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

SMS_Radetzky on European server
High level overview

Mostly plays cruisers, especially low-tier
Deals a below average amount of damage
Key vehicle - Isokaze
I`m going for the japanese destroyer and cruiser trees and playing Kongo for fun.
Looking forward to my first destroyer with long lances :D

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Is there a global ranking, as well?
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Don't think so.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:
Nephtys wrote:The thing's pretty flattering. I wonder what it's criteria is for 'unicum' and 'super-unicum'.
I've gotten the unicum rating for my gameplay over the last few days and it seems to be mostly high winrate and higher damage than the average. As far as I understand the ratings translate to normal english like:

- good = below average
- very good = average
- excellent = above average
- unicum and super univum = top percentiles of players.
The terminology comes from WoT where there's more developed stats and rankings; for easy reference, http://wiki.wnefficiency.net/pages/Color_Scale

If you want to get into how it's actually calculated, most sources use either EFF or WN8 these days, http://wiki.wnefficiency.net/pages/WN8
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The Błyskawica is a demon of a destroyer. If you have any skill at destroyers I recommend getting this ship and driving her like you stole her before the nerfs land.

116 gun hits, 4 torpedo hits, 5 fires, and a bit of flooding for ~60,000 damage. All this without me having the premium smoke or engine boost, and having a 4 skill point commander.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Jub wrote:The Błyskawica is a demon of a destroyer. If you have any skill at destroyers I recommend getting this ship and driving her like you stole her before the nerfs land.

116 gun hits, 4 torpedo hits, 5 fires, and a bit of flooding for ~60,000 damage. All this without me having the premium smoke or engine boost, and having a 4 skill point commander.
116 gun hits? That's St. Louis-on-pay-day territory, not a destroyer O.o.

Also - premium tanks in WoT have been pretty much nerf-proof due to the fear of people asking for refunds. Has that been different so far in WoWS?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, pretty much.

But what sets the premiums apart in WOWs is not the damage (60k for example is standard in a decent match), but the earning potential. You get like 1.5 the money for half the repair cost. Which means that at higher tier you make like 200-400k profit per match.
------------
------------
My LPs
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Venator wrote:116 gun hits? That's St. Louis-on-pay-day territory, not a destroyer O.o.

Also - premium tanks in WoT have been pretty much nerf-proof due to the fear of people asking for refunds. Has that been different so far in WoWS?
The premium ships in WoWs have been nerfed a hard a few times. Some of the worst ships in the game, judging by the win rates, are the Sims-class destroyer and the Atlanta-class cruiser, both are Tier 7 ships that were sold, both have been hit pretty hard by nerfs to shell flight time as well as other smaller nerfs.
Thanas wrote:But what sets the premiums apart in WOWs is not the damage (60k for example is standard in a decent match), but the earning potential. You get like 1.5 the money for half the repair cost. Which means that at higher tier you make like 200-400k profit per match.
I'm not a great DD captain, so my average 'good' game is more like 40k damage. That said, the Blys seems to fit my playstyle better than the American and Japanese lines do. So I hope that it's some indication of the way a Polish/Rest of Europe destroyer tree might play.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

This New York seems cursed. I have a 12% win rate in it, after some 8 matches...

I'll never get the 3x to get past it to New Mex!
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Decided to try out destroyers for awhile. Kept getting my ass handed to me in American destroyers. With a torp range of only 5km maxed out they seem pretty useless. Am I correct in assuming that the best destroyers are the Japanese ones with torp ranges of 7 - 10km? Or are there other destroyer trees that are good too?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

American DDs are supposed to be gun boats. You use your guns to burn enemies down. Problem is, the overall USN shell nerf hit the DDs especially bad. Your torps are...I've seen it described as 'shotgun torps'. Close range, lots of them, and if you use it well you'll get at least a couple hits.

Japanese DDs are the torpedo snipers. Your detection range is lower, which means you can take advantage of your better torps to stealth torp. Or you can shoot them off at full range and hope to hit something, that too. On the other hand, your guns tend to kinda suck.

Russians are the new gunboats, because their DDs (after T5 or so I believe) are light cruisers pretending to be DDs. Your torps are even shorter ranged than USN ones (I think the T3 only has 3km range), but your guns are amazing. It's not pre-nerf where you could stealth shoot, but it's still a lot better than the other DDs with your guns.

*all of this is from what I've read. I am not a DD player.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Borgholio wrote:Decided to try out destroyers for awhile. Kept getting my ass handed to me in American destroyers. With a torp range of only 5km maxed out they seem pretty useless. Am I correct in assuming that the best destroyers are the Japanese ones with torp ranges of 7 - 10km? Or are there other destroyer trees that are good too?
US DDs are challenging but IMO stronger than the Japanese DDs overall atm, especially with everybody right now playing Japanese DDs due to the torpedo buff and BB nerf.

The key to playing US DDs are the following:
- Get the following Captain Skills: Superintendent
- Sail into cap, if enemy DD is there destroy him. A USN DD just eats enemy DDs, especially if they are Japanese. Russian ones past Tier V can give you trouble but they are also huge and easy targets.
- Once cap is free of enemy DDs, pop smoke.
- While in smoke, rain shells upon enemy. The Captain skill Demolition expert is very handy there.
- Only use torps if enemy is close to you while you are in smoke (at around 3-4 km)

You should be able to get about 70-120 shell hits a game this way. This is how I play my DDs and I seem to have good success with them (top 3 Clemson player on European server).

USN DDs are definitely harder to play than the Japanese ones, who basically all play like "sail up to enemy until 500m away from detection range, then stealth torp, run away, repeat step 1". You need to be able to correctly anticipate where the enemy will be moving and who is the biggest threat (usually cruisers with sonar like the Omaha, who is also a bitch to torp and all German cruisers who just delight in snacking on US DDs due to their superior sonar).

If you want easy credits but also a 50-50 chance of success then play the IJN line. They are way better at damaging capital ships. But if you get spotted by a USN DD and he is not an idiot it is usually game over for you. OTOH, playing the USN line rewards greater skill, but if you mess up you easily will get sunk. You really need to know where to go on a map, when to pop smoke and when to use torps (very rarely).
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Russians are the new gunboats, because their DDs (after T5 or so I believe) are light cruisers pretending to be DDs. Your torps are even shorter ranged than USN ones (I think the T3 only has 3km range), but your guns are amazing. It's not pre-nerf where you could stealth shoot, but it's still a lot better than the other DDs with your guns.
Russian DDS suck a lot now because their HE damage got nerfed by 300 dmg. And past Tier VI they are all big targets the size of cruisers. I cannot see this line being viable past Tier VII IMO.
------------
------------
My LPs
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Mother of god.

Just won the most intense tirpitz game. One-shot two enemy cruisers, destroyed a DD and took out an enemy Nagato... Points cap was 1000 to 992.

14k experience (with 3x), 592758 credits, 110680 AP damage...

This battleship is a monster.