I went to Vegas but all I got was shot in the face (Fallout)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Re: I went to Vegas but all I got was shot in the face (Fall

Post by Oscar Wilde »

If you hadn't figured it out yet, when you see the Vault boy with the "..." message, you're at a Wild Wasteland thing.
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Anyone have any suggestions where can I find a recharging (laser) pistol? Or at least an energy weapon that doesn't suck as much? I finally got a plasma pistol, but it didn't meet my expectations.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Go to Freemont (near the vegas strip), and go to the silver rush energy weapons shop. If you have a non sucky sneak score, or cash, you can get a shitton of pretty decent stuff there.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Any mention of the Vault-dweller or that tribe he founded?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Picked it up yesterday, so far, enjoying it. Admittedly, I didn't bother starting out following the plotlines and just picked a random direction to walk in. Have been rooting merrily around the south end of the map, but I *hate* nightstalkers. The fuckers just don't seem to die. Spoiler
I got jumped by a load of golden geckos down in that radioactive Crescent canyon with a train crashed into it, got out of it, and then got swarmed by a load of nightstalker young and a couple of adults, found a cave to hide in, and guess what, more nightstalkers and a den mother! Was just waiting for a deathclaw by the time I got out of that.
I'm enjoying the 'close quarters' landscape more than FO3, but the broad landscape in the wasteland is a lot more uninteresting. But I'll accept the trade off for better story when I get to it. I did quite like the 'hey, what's that over there? I'll go check' aspect of FO3. That said, the atmosphere is miles better, and I'm a big fan of plants and crops growing. I also liked Nipton. Spoiler
shooting crucified slavers in the burning remains of the town - I don't think it did anything or altered anything, but it seemed like the decent thing to do. And then being perversely satisfied when it turns out the Mayor got what was coming to him.

A minor criticism is that a lot more of the map feels like 'invisible wall' narrowing the map down even further. A lot of points where I've been feeling like I should be able to get there, or have climbed over 'impassable' barriers, only to find an actually impassable invisible wall in the way.

I think the FO3 FWE and MMM mods have made the new features a lot less impressive - I think console owners really get the benefit of New Vegas a lot more, as they've not seen any of the features before. I'm finding the hardcore mode a step down from FWE thus far. I'm not one for overcomplicating things too much, but I quite liked the 'glutton' penalty in FWE for eating and drinking too much. And I'm trying to resist going back to fast travel!

Oh, and I've now got that 'Big Iron' song stuck in my head.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

'big iron' does seem to fit into a lot of fallout situations. has anybody stumbled across Indy's fridge yet?
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

So, I wound up getting a BoS scribe companion named Veronica and it turns out she's buggy as hell. I got to the Silver Rush energy weapons shop to do quests and she's just stuck there. The sheer amount of bugs I'm finding are almost more blatant than FO3.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

How does Bethesda keep breaking an engine they've been working on exclusively for 8 years?
Best care anywhere.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

One must admit it's quite impressive that Bethesda can cause bugs in games they don't make. :P
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Oh right, this is some other studio!

It's near Halloween though. The Gamebryo engine is haunted by Bethesda's ghost. Whhhheeerreee's mmmyyy NPC levvelllinnnggg?!

Best care anywhere.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

As for bugs, I keep noticing clipping issues with terrain from time to time, particularly with scorpions. Those radscorpions are real fuckers X(
Marko Dash wrote:'big iron' does seem to fit into a lot of fallout situations. has anybody stumbled across Indy's fridge yet?
Here. It was a pretty easy find, although you only get a fairly regular hat (in statistics that is). Reading forums and the like, Wild Wasteland trait may not be that beneficial.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

I might be getting this soon; Gamefly just listed it today as Available Now, and I sent Kane & Lynch 2 back yesterday. My area has the fast returns feature, so I might very well have the next game at the end of the week or sooner.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Enigma wrote:Any mention of the Vault-dweller or that tribe he founded?
Klamath Bob mentions "The chosen one" in WestSide. Nothing else that I found, tho.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

LadyTevar wrote:
Klamath Bob mentions "The chosen one" in WestSide. Nothing else that I found, tho.
Cass is supposed to be a descendent of one of the vault dweller's companions from FO1 or 2. Nothing overt otherwise.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

General Zod wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:
Cass is supposed to be a descendent of one of the vault dweller's companions from FO1 or 2. Nothing overt otherwise.
FO2 - she's John Cassidy's daughter.

Not a direct reference to either, but as a reference back to FO1, Lily was one of the Master's nightkin.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

Found another connection to the old games.
Spoiler
The quest Nothin' But A Hound Dog can get you Rex as a companion. The guy who installs Rex's new brain is Henry from Fallout 2. The nightkin are back too, and now Henry is living in Jacobstown and trying to cure their mental instability.
According to the Fallout wiki, the game has a lot of connections to Van Buren, the canceled Black Isle version of Fallout 3, since they're both located in the same region. The only things I remember off the top of my head are the Caesars and the Hoover Dam.
Netko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Netko »

General Zod wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:
In Sloan (the mining town) there is a bartender that is the granddaughter of the crazy lady who made deathclaw egg omlets in F2. She mentions that her grandmother had a female deathclaw for the eggs until one day a crazy person came through and show the deathclaw between the eyes.

In Novac there is a singer on the run in one of the hotel rooms. He's on the run from a Mr. Bishop in New Reno because he stole from him and banged his daughter; that is pretty much what you do to Mr. Bishop in F2, except you usually go for teh trifecta and bang his wife too, although the common ending to that dispute there is that you put a bullet in his head.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Marcus, of course, talks a bit about the Chosen One.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

First run-through done. Now for the In-Depth one hitting everything we missed :)

Still not going to join Caesar; slavery pisses us off. The WildCard ending is most likely what we'll try for.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

Well, I've managed to lose Rex. People talk as though he's still following me, but he's not. Had to have left him somewhere.

Also, the Boomers are crazy.
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

So far, the content for quests seem a lot more interesting than FO3. I've had to run around and actually be sorta creative, instead of Bethesda handing me the answer in the next room and shooting some person.

One thing is. After I ruthlessly execute each and every member of a camp, how come I take a karma hit for stealing their coffee mugs? You'd think that murdering someone viciously would be somewhat meaner than taking the coffee mug of the deceased off a table.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Is anyone down there trying to help the NCR secure the dam?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Recently I've been noticing more and more issues with ED-E's pathfinding just getting stuck on random bits of nothing. This enrages me. >.< Also, sorry Brotherhood, but thanks for the gauss rifles.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Nephtys wrote:One thing is. After I ruthlessly execute each and every member of a camp, how come I take a karma hit for stealing their coffee mugs? You'd think that murdering someone viciously would be somewhat meaner than taking the coffee mug of the deceased off a table.
I swear this is something because they either never turn off the tag or it's some idiot's programming issue. This occured more then a few times in Fallout 3 as well in some Slaver camps.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Nephtys wrote:So far, the content for quests seem a lot more interesting than FO3. I've had to run around and actually be sorta creative, instead of Bethesda handing me the answer in the next room and shooting some person.
The improved quality of writing and voice actors certainly seems to help. I also like the fact that you have more options for diplomatic solutions instead of just shooting your way out of things. (Talking my way through the mission to rescue Ted Gunderson in the Ultra-Luxe was pretty amusing.) Some of the little touches like actual use for whisky and vodka if you need a quick charisma boost is nice. Oh, and being able to join factions. I was able to join up with the Kings last night. You couldn't do that in FO3; though I'm not sure how easily you can join the other groups.