ODST Impressions.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: ODST Impressions.

Post by Stark »

I think he meant thematically; if he's talking about before you actually play, the AR/pistol/sniper and funky plasma guns seem ok. It's only when you start the game, pull the trigger and your bullets fly out in a 30 degree cone that they clearly suck in the Quake style.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Darth Wong wrote:Sorry, but the weapons do NOT make sense. The weapons have in fact always been the weakest aspect of the game.
Well, i'm talking from the sense of looking at the screenshots. Yeah they aren't perfect. The pistol and Assault Rifle both lacked iron sights, as did the Covenant weapons. They still looked like they made WAAAY more sense than Quake's nail guns and disc launchers. Marine Armour wasn't adorned with elaborate, wanked artwork, and massively exagerated proportions like 40k. It sure LOOKED nice at first.

Then you played it, and it was fucking stupid. I remember one of the first things that ever occured to me in the game was how the pistol was so much more accurate than the assault RIFLE. It's funny stuff.
Best care anywhere.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

CaptHawkeye wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:Sorry, but the weapons do NOT make sense. The weapons have in fact always been the weakest aspect of the game.
Well, i'm talking from the sense of looking at the screenshots. Yeah they aren't perfect. The pistol and Assault Rifle both lacked iron sights, as did the Covenant weapons. They still looked like they made WAAAY more sense than Quake's nail guns and disc launchers. Marine Armour wasn't adorned with elaborate, wanked artwork, and massively exagerated proportions like 40k. It sure LOOKED nice at first.

Then you played it, and it was fucking stupid. I remember one of the first things that ever occured to me in the game was how the pistol was so much more accurate than the assault RIFLE. It's funny stuff.
I'm not sure why you're using 40k as an example when 40k is supposed to be exaggerated and grandiose.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

General Zod wrote:I'm not sure why you're using 40k as an example when 40k is supposed to be exaggerated and grandiose.
You best be trolling, bro.

Anyway, I kindo f get where Hawkeye is coming from. The Covenant had consistently interesting art design, and a fair amount of the architecture on the Halo was nice. Everything human is ugly and boring though, with a couple of exceptions. :)
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Ford Prefect wrote:
General Zod wrote:I'm not sure why you're using 40k as an example when 40k is supposed to be exaggerated and grandiose.
You best be trolling, bro.

Anyway, I kindo f get where Hawkeye is coming from. The Covenant had consistently interesting art design, and a fair amount of the architecture on the Halo was nice. Everything human is ugly and boring though, with a couple of exceptions. :)
Meh, nevermind. I misread the quote. Blame it on posting while being tired.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

CptHawkeye: Even in the game itself UNSC gear made no sense. Just open the game data files and you will start laughing. For instance here is a fun fact. Even in normal difficulty halo 1 marines have better armor than the chief. On legendary their armor is much superior. On halo 2 it should be worse because chief has only shields and almost no armor at all. So much for uber Spartan armor made of invulnerium. The Halo universse not only makes no sense as a backstory but the ingame factions, weapons and species are inconsistent.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

Sarevok wrote:CptHawkeye: Even in the game itself UNSC gear made no sense. Just open the game data files and you will start laughing. For instance here is a fun fact. Even in normal difficulty halo 1 marines have better armor than the chief. On legendary their armor is much superior. On halo 2 it should be worse because chief has only shields and almost no armor at all. So much for uber Spartan armor made of invulnerium. The Halo universe not only makes no sense as a backstory but the ingame factions, weapons and species are inconsistent.
You guys are really missing his point here. The UNSC gear looks good. The gear looks sensible enough and fits together aesthetically. If you had never seen Halo gameplay, but looked only at screenshots and artwork, you would be like- "that game looks pretty damn cool."

That is incidentally how I felt about ODST. I had little interest, but then I heard that it was going to be a big change from the normal gameplay, and your character would be weaker and more tactical. I perked up a little. I saw the silenced SMG and cinematic trailer with the cool Ghost Recon style HUD as the hero hid in the shadows. I perked up a little. I saw the semi-grimdark and dramatic live action trailer. I perked up more. I saw in-game footage. I realized that nevermind, this was just a reskinned Halo with lower health.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

How piss-easy must Halo be on normal difficulty if ODST is 'low' health?

Anyway, their weapons design is inconsistent in terms of looks, at best. Their M7 and M7S sub-machine gun design is easily the most sensibly designed, modern looking weapon in all of Halo, and as such makes a mockery of the the MA5 series, which look asstastic.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

Vympel wrote:How piss-easy must Halo be on normal difficulty if ODST is 'low' health?
Piss-easy. A 7-year-old with barely any FPS skills has beaten the various Halo games on Heroic in front of me, and I can run rings around them with my eyes closed. Legendary is the only difficulty that gives me ANY semblance of challenge.