Europa Universalis II

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Grr...it's going to cost me a shitload to bring up my relations with them. Diploannexation itself doesn't cost anything, right?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Oh, and I was playing as Austria, and, WTF? I went to war with Venice and called my allies into it, and half the time my armies would flee from Istaria without engaging in combat, or they would take huge hits from nowhere and go from 7k to >1K for no discernable reason, and there were these armies running around with the Austrian eagle on a blue background, but they don't match any nation...WTF?
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

HemlockGrey wrote:Grr...it's going to cost me a shitload to bring up my relations with them. Diploannexation itself doesn't cost anything, right?
Nope, but if you fail you get a hit to relations. Save and reload if you want to.

The fleeing is probably because your allies decided to lift the seige. Search for cheat codes and see if you can somehow move their army or stop it from moving etc. I heard something like that is possible. Do you know about attrition? Stupid question, I know, but I may as well cover my bases. As for your mystery armies, sometimes army flags differ a bit from the shield of a country. You should be able to tell where they're from if you are in the same province as them and check their name "Regiment of X".
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Mkk...also now playing as China. I've vassalized Dai Vet and annexed Korea. I've also taken every single Manchu province except their 2 most eastern mountain provinces; I've been besieging them for years, and they still haven't surrendered! Grr!

I chose 'Balanced Posistion' simply because at that time all of Indochina declared war on me at the height of my battle with Manchu, so there was no way I could deal with mass rebellions. I annexed Tangu, so it wasn't a total loss.

Bizarrely, I never got Zheng He. This, combined with the stalwart defiance of the last two Manchu provinces, has conspired to make me a very unhappy tyrant.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

I really hate to keep saying this :D, but not the best choice with Zheng He...if you chose outward expansion, you would get the muslim tech group, which is higher than your native chinese (which virtually all of your neighbors have) and means for a good tech edge over your rivals. I believe you also get insanely cheap cavalry, which is the best unit until you get land tech 9, which bolsters infantry. It goes something like this:

Tech multiplyers:
latin (mostly Western Europe): 1.0
orthodox (Eastern Europe, Ottomans, maybe African Orthodox): 1.1
muslim (Middle East, almost all Muslim countries): 1.3
chinese (Virtually all of the Far East including Indonesian countries): 1.7
exotic (Native Americans, sub-Sahara Africans): 1.9

Stability hits and revolt risk goes away, tech doesn't. Your best bet at the beginning of a Chinese game is to vassalize or conquer Korea and/or Manchu, then focus exclusively on building forts in all of your unfortified provinces to prepare for Zheng He's event. Do NOT destroy the Manchu or you'll get a nasty nasty event later on. Then vassalize the Chagatai Khanate (don't bother conquering it, the provinces are very poor) before they build forts. You can conquer them with 9k horsemen running down their corridor and seige armies of infantry in provinces with forts. So far all of their neighbors seem to leave them alone so you'll get repaid over and over again for any combat losses.

As for those Manchu provinces, are there cannons next to the sprites? If attrition knocks down your numbers, you're forced to "cover" the province, not seige it.

As for Zheng He, he should have been in a port at the start with 4 warships. Don't explore Indochina or western Indonesia with him (not west of that island with Makassar) as you can steal the maps from Brunei, which you already know or will know about with minimal exploration there. Explore the Philippines, Guinea, and Australia with rest stops so he doesn't die too soon. If a territory doesn't appear when you pass it, keep moving to sea territories beside it and it will appear.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Mmk. I restarted; but no Zheng He....
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

HemlockGrey wrote:Mmk. I restarted; but no Zheng He....
He should be sitting right there in Liaotung. Look for the ship's wheel icon in the sea right next to the province.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

What? Liaotung is a Manchu province.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

HemlockGrey wrote:What? Liaotung is a Manchu province.
Sorry, I was thinking of a mod. He should be in Liaoning Province as you begin the game.
--The Lord Humungus
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

I've finished the tutoria;s. I've been playins France on a triaal run. Any better recommendations? But I've been playing HOI for awhile so EUII isn't at all new for me.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Sorry, I was thinking of a mod. He should be in Liaoning Province as you begin the game.
He ain't.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Captain Lennox wrote:I've finished the tutoria;s. I've been playins France on a triaal run. Any better recommendations? But I've been playing HOI for awhile so EUII isn't at all new for me.
Actually, France is a good starter country, as is Austria (of course you inheret Bohemia and Hungary in the very early 1500s :D). Keep inflation down, build tax collectors, and beat down England!

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

HemlockGrey wrote:
He ain't.
Started up The Grand Campaign as China, the wheel's there and so is he...

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Paradox (the game developers) is still supporting EU2..
by continuing to release patches for EU2 on their own time
and money. You can now get public beta patches for EU2
even before the final version is released...

if that isn't support, I don't know what is..
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Started up The Grand Campaign as China, the wheel's there and so is he...
-shakes head-

He's not there for me.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

HemlockGrey wrote:-shakes head-

He's not there for me.
Maybe it's a bug. Take it to the Paradox forums, or get the latest patch if you haven't already.
--The Lord Humungus
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

Whats the latest patch for EUII?
My hard drive crashed, had to reload all games, patches, everything.
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

1.07 on the Paradox Plaza Site. 16 Mbs
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

Ok, never mind about patch.

What country is it best to learn on?

Ottoman Empire?

England?
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Ted wrote:Ok, never mind about patch.

What country is it best to learn on?

Ottoman Empire?

England?
For basic gameplay, Austria. Just sit around amassing territory without a fight. Give the Turks an occasional pasting, and you'll be in the top ten the whole way through.

For general knowledge, France. You've got to do a bit of everything as them.

For military training, Turkey. Every time you get bigger, you have to take it from someone.

For colonization and exploration, Spain.
--The Lord Humungus
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:For basic gameplay, Austria. Just sit around amassing territory without a fight. Give the Turks an occasional pasting, and you'll be in the top ten the whole way through.

For general knowledge, France. You've got to do a bit of everything as them.

For military training, Turkey. Every time you get bigger, you have to take it from someone.

For colonization and exploration, Spain.
So with Austria events just keep giving you territory?
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:For colonization and exploration, Spain.
For sitting around and massing loads and loads of cash, The Inca Empire.
"I have also a paper afloat, with an electromagnetic theory of light, which, till I am convinced to the contrary, I hold to be great guns."
-- James Clerk Maxwell (1831-1879) Scottish physicist. In a letter to C. H. Cay, 5 January 1865.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Bloody hell! I got 1.07 to work, but the graphics are screwy. According to the people at the Paradox Forums, I must defrag, delete, and reinstall. Grr.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Ted wrote:So with Austria events just keep giving you territory?
The Habsburgs are remarkably well connected. If you do your part to keep your relations high with the rest of Europe, you get Bohemia, Hungary, and change from events, and you're positioned nicely to take advantage of your Latin tech group (which will maintain a nice superiority over everyone to the East of you). You also get fairly strong monarchs.
--The Lord Humungus
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Graeme Dice wrote:For sitting around and massing loads and loads of cash, The Inca Empire.
You'll also be watching your inflation climb and climb, but that's another story :)
--The Lord Humungus