Portal 2 now with even more SCIENCE

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Re: Portal 2 now with even more SCIENCE

Post by Zor »

Spoiler
There is also the lyrics from the Turret Opera at the end to support the Chell is Caroline's Daughter school of thought, got their translation from the Combine Overwiki

Darling dear, my darling beauty!
My baby girl, oh heavens!
That she holds her in esteem! [she = GLaDOS]
That she holds her in esteem!
Oh my darling, goodbye!

My dear baby girl,
why do you not walk far away?
Yes, far away from Science,
My dear, my dear baby girl?
Ah, my beauty!
Ah, my dear!
Ah, my dear!
Ah, my baby girl!
Oh dear, my dear...
Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I wonder whether there will be a Portal 3 and how will GLADoS's and Chell's relationship be like then.

Because after the events of the game, her relationship with Chell is certainly... conflicted.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

I don't know whether to start a new topic for this so feel free to move it if necessary. I've tried finding an answer to this online and from others with no luck so hopefully someone can help.

So a while ago Valve announced that the PS3 version of Portal 2 would allow people to download the PC version from Steam, and also support cross-platform play for the co-op. This sounded awesome to me since I would like to play the co-op with my girlfriend but really hate split-screen. I figured the purpose of including the PC version was to allow to people to take advantage of the cross-platform co-op since otherwise the only added benefit is playing on a lap top while on the go or not having to walk ten feet from your computer to your couch.

However in this interview Joshua Weier states that this will not be possible because it will require each version to be logged into the same account. Why is this? Why can't Portal 2 be played online with another PSN account and my Steam account? Is there something to tie the disc to my Steam and PSN or what? This is all irrelevant until PSN is back up, but I've held off on buying the game for this confusion so any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to have to buy two copies of the game to enjoy the co-op with my girlfriend.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

It's so you can play the game on either platform and carry your saves and achievements over to both of them.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:It's so you can play the game on either platform and carry your saves and achievements over to both of them.
That offer seems to have very little point and probably only encourages people to buy the PS3 version, redeem the PC version then ebay the PS3 version, assuming there are no measures preventing this.

I've realized that PSN went down only a couple of days after Portal 2's release so odds aren't good that anyone knows the answer, but I guess there's still no harm in asking.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

The idea, just like more or less every other game ever, is for two people playing a game on two different systems to, and this is the complicated part, buy two copies. Shocker, I know. One person buys one copy, the other person buys a copy, and they both play multiplayer with each other. That's...sort of how the gaming industry works outside of piracy.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

White Haven wrote:The idea, just like more or less every other game ever, is for two people playing a game on two different systems to, and this is the complicated part, buy two copies. Shocker, I know. One person buys one copy, the other person buys a copy, and they both play multiplayer with each other. That's...sort of how the gaming industry works outside of piracy.
Gee, where have I heard that before? Oh wait, it was in the link to the interview I posted. I'm trying to make an informed buyer's decision so why don't you stow the attitude? You and Joshua Weier have both stated that cooperative play would require separate copies but have not explained why. What is preventing a sign in to a different PSN account? Believe it or not I have been to several electronics retailers with this question and they are equally puzzled that co-op is not possible between the two versions, so obviously I'm not the only one to have made this presumption during the game's development.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Because co-op is for two paying customers? They're trying to not screw steam over too badly? Seriously, if they didn't do it that way, I'd buy the PS3 version and throw it at another guy on the hall because it'd be a better value for me because I get to play coop with him too even though I'm only in school for a few weeks more. The PC version is a value added to the buyer's ownership of the game. That simple. It's the same reason I can't play coop with myself on two computers, delightfully onanistic as that sounds.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

xthetenth wrote:Because co-op is for two paying customers? They're trying to not screw steam over too badly?
That is not my question. I understand why Valve wants customers to buy more than one copy to enjoy the co-op. My question is why does playing the co-op between the two versions require being signed in to the same account. When I say this I am not asking "Why has Valve put this measure in place?" I'm asking for an explanation of how the damn thing works. After I redeem the PC version will the disc simply not sign in to any other PSN account? Is there some unique code in each disc for which the Steam version will not play co-op with?
Seriously, if they didn't do it that way, I'd buy the PS3 version and throw it at another guy on the hall because it'd be a better value for me because I get to play coop with him too even though I'm only in school for a few weeks more.
Given that used game retailers are accepting copies of Portal 2 you can still pass it on to someone else, either out of generosity, or to get some money back. So is the used copy locked out of online play altogether? Can the new owner access cross platform play with PC players other than the one who redeemed the free PC copy?
The PC version is a value added to the buyer's ownership of the game. That simple. It's the same reason I can't play coop with myself on two computers, delightfully onanistic as that sounds.
And I don't see how it's much of an added value. The greatest benefit I see here is redeeming the PC version and ebaying the PS3 copy for $30-$40 back. I'm not saying this is what I plan on doing. What other benefit is there? You can play the PC version on a lap top while out and about? Okay, but why not just buy the PC version? In case one of your systems break? I guess, but that won't be much comfort in the grand scheme of things. Don't have to walk from your computer to your console? Just how big does your home have to be for this to be a huge win?

I am simply a consumer who wants to be informed. I don't want to scam Valve, I don't feel entitled to more than they are offering, and I understand that they want to make a profit. I simply want to know what I am getting when I give them my money.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

I think your Steam account and your PSN account become linked, so it's just like trying to play it on two computers at the same time.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Executor32 wrote:I think your Steam account and your PSN account become linked, so it's just like trying to play it on two computers at the same time.
Correct.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Note that you can play against yourself over lan/internet on two computers with one steam account unless the game has specifically stopped you doing so, or it is too tightly integrated.

If you sign in on one and put steam in offline mode you can then sign in on another and play with one account.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

Unless I'm totally missing something it seems like I got everything I wanted :D
jmccaskey wrote:You need two Steam accounts involved to play multiplayer online. You can't join yourself on PC with PS3 using the same account at the same time. It's mostly a technical issue where various systems just don't expect a single player with the same SteamID to be joining his or herself.

On PS3 your wife can just create her own local user profile, PSN account, and new Steam account and join you on your PC copy. You can still have your local user profile and PSN account linked to your Steam account on the PS3 as well.
Now I just hope PSN goes back up soon.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Wow, that's a lot cooler than I expected. That's awfully nice of Valve.
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

I just finished Portal 2. And it was glorious. Spoiler
The ending was extra-awesome. PART 5, BOOBYTRAP THE STALEMATE BUTTON. And then the roof was blown away, and I shot at the white surface by reflex. And I thought "Wait, that was the moon. There's no way... *Twinkle* Holy crap, it worked! SPAAAAAAAAACE!!!!

Also, I was just about to start cursing the crazy backstabbing bitch on the elevator. And then the turrets started singing... So cute!

Also also, SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!