Mass Effect 3 (Spoilers)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Re: Mass Effect 3 (Spoilers)

Post by Anacronian »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:At this point I just expect that, somehow, the DLC will make the endings even worse.
Reliable sources are reporting that Casey Hudson has been wandering around mumbling "Midichlorians..Midichlorians"..
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

That's fine. JC Denton's Shepard's role in the ending isn't the problem, his/her story is done. The problem is the total "wtf why is the normandy in space oh god why is it blowing up why is it on a planet wow look at joker looking into the sunset now credits?"

It's like ending Return of the Jedi with Vader throwing Palpatine down the shaft, then cut to a scene of Wicket running from the screaming debris of the Death Star, and then stumbling upon Vader's funeral pyre, staring at it in awe, and then credits.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

If it's anything more than adding some Fallout-style slideshow of stills with text telling you about how great you were for doing X or terrible you were for doing X I will be surprised.

Because, of course, if we had gotten a checklist at the end of the game telling us what happened to every squadmember and race, we would have accepted the rest of the ending graciously.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

The thing about Hale not being asked to come back for new lines is bullshit. Both Shepard VAs are still contracted for post-release content.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

And... Hale does the VA work for TOR not to mention everything else Bioware push out so getting her in should be really easy.

That said, I expected nothing less than cheap bullshit from Bioware in response. Its obvious the ending to ME3 is designed to wipe the board clean so they can bring out ME shit without being tied to anything from 1 - 3 unless they want it. Although if Bioware had any brains they clearly have intentions to push out DLC which they happily did for 2. If your gonna be doing that then including a new ending WITHIN that DLC would and should be possible.

Oh no... I forgot they will make a Take Back Omega DLC... so we can take back a place that will actually contribute fuck all to the endgame unless... they change the endgame to reflect what Shepard has actually done beyond three colours.

Fucking Grade A idiots.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:At this point I just expect that, somehow, the DLC will make the endings even worse.
One word: vuvuzelas. :wink:
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Because, of course, if we had gotten a checklist at the end of the game telling us what happened to every squadmember and race, we would have accepted the rest of the ending graciously.
I'd be fine with such a checklist, as long as it makes sense. Unfortunately, with the Normandy crashed on some random planet the only possibilities are:
- Tali and Garrus are unable to eat any food from that planet. Meaning they will starve to death if they don't commit suicide.
- Tali and Garrus can eat food from the planet they crashed on. Meaning the rest of the Normandy crew face starvation instead.
- Some bullshit about how them getting rescued still fits with boy at the very end asking when they can go back to the stars. Though throwing away that conversation between the boy and storyteller wouldn't be a bad thing.

For everyone else, either the relay exploding kills them, or they are left stranded near Earth. Where, unless the Quarian food growing ships* remain, the Quarians and Turians there are still going to starve.

*Weren't they heavily armed, but lightly shielded, making them priority targets for the Reapers ?

The only winners I see from any ending are the Krogan and Geth. Both are going to have lots of unchecked growth before anyone runs into them again. Everyone else is going to be in trouble when they run into the Krogans.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Losonti Tokash wrote:The thing about Hale not being asked to come back for new lines is bullshit. Both Shepard VAs are still contracted for post-release content.
What has that got to do with the article in question?
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Stofsk wrote:
Losonti Tokash wrote:The thing about Hale not being asked to come back for new lines is bullshit. Both Shepard VAs are still contracted for post-release content.
What has that got to do with the article in question?
Cause it's a dumb rumor that's clearly false?
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

How is it clearly false? She hasn't been asked back to do any new lines; that's what she said in the article.

She said that in relation to the extended cut ending 'clarification'. That doesn't mean she won't ever record lines for other DLC that's probably been planned for months.
Hale says she knows nothing of what's coming in the new content that BioWare CEO Ray Muzyka says will address people's complaints over the game's ending. She hasn't been contacted by the team, hasn't had a recording session, or been given any indication that she will be needed for this new content.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Oh, come on, the announcement was made what, two days ago, with the DLC planned for summer? It's nothing strange they haven't contacted Hale JUST YET, especially since she's working for Bioware all the time so they have her number on hand :P
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Don't get me wrong, I hope that she does get called back and they fucking fix the endings. But I don't have any hope of that happening. It's not the kind of thing you can fix with just by voicing new lines, but I guess it would be a start.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Stofsk wrote:Don't get me wrong, I hope that she does get called back and they fucking fix the endings. But I don't have any hope of that happening. It's not the kind of thing you can fix with just by voicing new lines, but I guess it would be a start.
Well, duh. They said they weren't going to change anything, just "clarify" stuff (ie. introduce even more idiocy) :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Cue: Destroy Ending

After the space magic has destroyed the galaxy... cut to Shepard's breathing... and then rubble falling to crush them.

Fans: What the Fuck ?
Bioware: Just adding clarification

I suspect they are going to add stills of you running into the Beam and Harbringer hitting you... your squadmates will magically decide your dead and fuck off so they can have their spot next to Joker running away.

Shepard is going to die in every single ending... because the Normandy has been stranded long after we finally wake up. Not to mention how the fuck the intend to justify Shepard waking up amoungst Earth rubble after he was on the Citadel.

Next DLC: Take Back Omega where you get to play a whole new level with guns
Next DLC: Gun 1
Next DLC: Gun 2
Next DLC: Armor Set
Next DLC: Costumes 1
Next DLC: Costumes 2

You would think if Bioware were going to push out actual new missions with VA work they would bother to add a bit more to the endings. Especially as any missions like taking back Omega wont intrest people as much if it has no affect on the outcome.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

No effect on the endings? Please, I'm sure it'll add at least a few hundred to your war assets. :lol:
Jordie
Padawan Learner

Post by Jordie »

We'll get free MP DLC on the 10th. 2 new maps, a new character in each class (Krogan Vanguard with biotic charge, Geth Engineer and Infiltrator, an Asari and some Batarians) and 3 new guns for MP.

Anyone who wants to play some MP with me on 360 feel free to add my GT.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

At least in multi the only way the game can end in horrible disappointment is a disconnect in wave 11 :P
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Krogan Vanguard
...Oh dear. It's a headbutt incoming at approximately mach two.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

It probably will. It's pretty clear Casey wants to ram his "creative vision" down on everyone.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Minor necro, but with the DLC coming up, I thought it was time to bump this thread with the Blasto audio drama.

Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

FaxModem1 wrote:Minor necro, but with the DLC coming up, I thought it was time to bump this thread with the Blasto audio drama.

Fun fact : Mark Meer does all the male voices including the vorcha and Jennifer Hale does Bubin's sister in this little drama.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... k-For-More
Mass Effect 3 Actors Come Back For More
Andy Chalk | 21 May 2012 11:58 am

Hacket, EDI and Alenko are back in the studio to correct "an oversight."

Work on the Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut is proceeding apace with word that Lance Henriksen [Bishop], Tricia Helfer [Number Six] and Raphael Sbarge [who?] have all returned to the studio to record more lines. Sbarge, who actually plays Kaidan Alenko in the game, tweeted about the new voice work, while Helfer said she was going back to the role of EDI today. Henriksen provided a bit more insight, of a sort, into the need for the additional dialog.

"They were saying there's a little bit of a problem with the abruptness of the ending. So we did a whole series of things to add to the end of the game, to live up to the quality they've been doing," he told G4TV.

"It was just an oversight," he continued. "Usually when a guy loses the game, the game shuts down, it's over, you're done. The players didn't like that."

Not that I want to tell Admiral Hackett his business, but I don't think he's quite 100 percent up to speed on why BioWare feels the need to extend the ending to the game. "Losing" is a bit abrupt, yes, but so is winning, which is what has so many players so upset. After committing themselves to a massive, three-game epic and the characters that brought it to life, the wrap-up was ambiguous at best and, in the eyes of its harshest critics, an illogical, impossible, flat-out betrayal of its fans.

BioWare has said the Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut, which is expected to come out this summer, will "expand upon the existing endings," but no actual changes will be made. Looking forward to seeing how that works out.
Well, if that's the story they're telling the actors, that it's because the fans are whining because we don't like losing, I don't have much faith in the extended cut DLC.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I never had any faith the extended cut ending would fix the major problems with the game, because the problems go further than 'just cut the Starchild out of it ok'. Hell arguably the whole game has a lot of problems and the ending is just the easiest example most everyone can agree needs to change.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Oh lookie... they are bringing back their brainchild AI exposition generator (EDI) to give us a stream of bullshit why the destroy ending magically killed all the Reaper BUT didnt kill her, the Geth or you.
Since this addition is meant to be cutscene / sideshow content its going to be at best 5 miniutes of blabbing over the backdrop of the same shit ending.

I wouldnt expect the VAs to give a shit or to have the full facts... especially since those two are the A Lister guest stars. When they get Hale or Meer in for VA work then you MIGHT have reason to hope because that means Shepard might actually say something. Kaiden Alenko seems rather silly in that list though. They are either desperately looking for any VA they can get and these three are lame / clueless enough of the situation to jump or the ending is going to do some attempt at having our LIs do something.
Not sure going with Alenko as the first one would be the most promising idea since Ashley ended up getting the limelight far more with her magical hairdo.