[HH-STGOD] Discussion thread

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Slightly OT, but did anyone already read Crown of Slaves?
Just thinking about buying the webscription...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Dahak wrote:Technically, I would think Paxton and Givens knew what they were talking about :)
They were working with in the limits of their knowledge. If Bolthole had been able to build that many ships and at a rate approaching anything like Manticore, they would have buried the Alliance. Remember they seem to be assuming those ships were built short term and at once rather than being long term construction.
Dahak wrote:Basically, I had already redused those 300 SD(P)s under construction to 250, would 200 be acceptable? I really wouldn't like to go any much lower...
Two hundred seems like a fair deal to me provided you keep the construction rates reasonable. Deal?
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Dahak wrote:Slightly OT, but did anyone already read Crown of Slaves?
I haven't read it. It comes out next month so I haven't bought it yet. I always preferred real books to e-books.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Stormbringer wrote:
Dahak wrote:Slightly OT, but did anyone already read Crown of Slaves?
I haven't read it. It comes out next month so I haven't bought it yet. I always preferred real books to e-books.
Technically, I do, too.
But after that rip-off that was WoH, I just decided that I don't need the anthologies and the ilk on paper.
And besides, getting it for 5 bucks is nice, too :)
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Stormbringer wrote:
Dahak wrote:Technically, I would think Paxton and Givens knew what they were talking about :)
They were working with in the limits of their knowledge. If Bolthole had been able to build that many ships and at a rate approaching anything like Manticore, they would have buried the Alliance. Remember they seem to be assuming those ships were built short term and at once rather than being long term construction.
Dahak wrote:Basically, I had already redused those 300 SD(P)s under construction to 250, would 200 be acceptable? I really wouldn't like to go any much lower...
Two hundred seems like a fair deal to me provided you keep the construction rates reasonable. Deal?
Well, I didn't intend to build 300 ships in one month :mrgreen:
But it should be reasonable to keep the pipe full, until I reach my intended size...
But how are we to determine how much time has passed, and how many ships have been finished?
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Dahak wrote:Well, I didn't intend to build 300 ships in one month :mrgreen:
But it should be reasonable to keep the pipe full, until I reach my intended size...
But how are we to determine how much time has passed, and how many ships have been finished?

I didn't think you did. Basically the way to determine it is to look at how the games going. Best way to do it is to use a rough estimate from the events of the story.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Best estimate I had for Bolthole was that they could build 100 SoS-class ships per year, along with an unknown numbers of CLACs. They were building roughly 25/quarter, based on the estimate Foraker gave Theisman of how many could be ready at the time he was going to have to reveal the existence of Bolthole.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Any one know what happened to Thirdfain and consequences? It's kind of stalled with out them.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Stormbringer wrote:Any one know what happened to Thirdfain and consequences? It's kind of stalled with out them.
Dunno...
Hope they'll be back again soon :)
Otherwise I'll just attack Manticore <ggg>
GALE Force Euro Wimp
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

geez, sorry, massive internet problems on base. Will update with estimated construction.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Dahak wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:Any one know what happened to Thirdfain and consequences? It's kind of stalled with out them.
Dunno...
Hope they'll be back again soon :)
Otherwise I'll just attack Manticore <ggg>
Not if I beat you to it. :twisted:
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Sure, if you want the Sollies to pick up all the pieces. :roll:
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Hey, Dahak, I missed it until now but try to remember there's a communications lag for any news.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

As I'm just reading through Crown of Slaves, I have to tell you that there's an awful lot of information to be salvaged from there.
A bit about SOlarians, but more so about Erewhon. They've got quite the history :mrgreen:
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Dahak wrote:As I'm just reading through Crown of Slaves, I have to tell you that there's an awful lot of information to be salvaged from there.
A bit about SOlarians, but more so about Erewhon. They've got quite the history :mrgreen:
Care to share any of it?
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Well, haven't finished it so far, but what I read so far is:
Erewhon was founded by thieves and gangsters, so they can "launder money".
They're governed by a group of "noble" families and don't really have much of a real democracy or "real" free press. But they are a highly egalitarian society.

They are also politically very pragmatic, guided by Realpolitik. Unlike Anderman, who pursues his goal more militarily, Erewhonese prefer arrangements and more sublte decisions. That's also why they weren't building up their military with the same fervor as the Graysons.
They also greatly value promises (a deal's a deal is one of their major sayings), so they were really pissed with Manticore when the new government didn't follow its promises.

Another observation is that the Solarian League is so much a powder keg waiting to explode, especially the outer fringes and protectorates. It's really brewing in those...
GALE Force Euro Wimp
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Serious question, is Beowulf paticipating?
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

consequences wrote:Serious question, is Beowulf paticipating?
I don't know. Doesn't look like either he and Kyle are. GAT is a maybe.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Of course, it is slightly difficult to do any serious interaction when there is an unresolved battle going on, and you don't know how that's going to affect everything yet. Hell, I'm not even sure if I know about the Talbott cluster by this point.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

consequences wrote:Of course, it is slightly difficult to do any serious interaction when there is an unresolved battle going on, and you don't know how that's going to affect everything yet. Hell, I'm not even sure if I know about the Talbott cluster by this point.
If Thirdfain doesn't show up sooner or later we can just decide an outcome. I don't want to hold it all up over that.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Dahak wrote:Well, haven't finished it so far, but what I read so far is:
Erewhon was founded by thieves and gangsters, so they can "launder money".
They're governed by a group of "noble" families and don't really have much of a real democracy or "real" free press. But they are a highly egalitarian society.

They are also politically very pragmatic, guided by Realpolitik. Unlike Anderman, who pursues his goal more militarily, Erewhonese prefer arrangements and more sublte decisions. That's also why they weren't building up their military with the same fervor as the Graysons.
They also greatly value promises (a deal's a deal is one of their major sayings), so they were really pissed with Manticore when the new government didn't follow its promises.

Another observation is that the Solarian League is so much a powder keg waiting to explode, especially the outer fringes and protectorates. It's really brewing in those...
*Grumble* Sounds like I need to buy the book as soon as possible. Time to talk to the Barnes & Noble people on campus (or maybe the Library...they bought WoH).
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Stormbringer wrote:
consequences wrote:Serious question, is Beowulf paticipating?
I don't know. Doesn't look like either he and Kyle are. GAT is a maybe.
Computer problems have been constantly delaying my posts.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

After finishing Crown of Slaves, there are some more observations :)

The whole book takes part between the first meeting of Montaigne and Zilwicke (where she gets the idea to de-Countess) and them meeting Lady North Hollow.
In the late third of it we see Honor, just some days before she leaves for Marsh.
The situation between Erewhon and Manticore is a train wreck at this time, and one would've to move hell and heaven to get them on a pro-Manticore side.

And the SL really *is* just about to explode. Given some outside pressure, like for instance a war, or some time, they'll break at the seams and plunge themselves in a civil war...
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Is there anyone still interested in this game or have we lost too many people?
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Still here *starts singing Cumbaya*