I went to Vegas but all I got was shot in the face (Fallout)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: I went to Vegas but all I got was shot in the face (Fall

Post by General Zod »

LadyTevar wrote:At least the Gun Runners sell Primers for all ammo types, which is one of the harder items to scavenge.

I'm really starting to dislike the Legion. The decimation of Nipton made me wish I could slaughter every last one of the smug bastards. (Nit tells me it wasn't decimation, as only one out of ten survived.)
You mean you didn't? I just attacked Vulpes Inculta and lighted up his Legionnaires with the incinerator and they went up real nicely.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Hard enough time freeing the freshly enslaved powder gangers. Assassins just appeared, and started chewing into my leather armor with submachineguns.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Funny store about that... the assassins showed up for me, but not to attack me. Nightstalkers* were attacking a travelling merchant and his guards nearby, and the assassins charged in to...uh...well, I never found out, because I executed the FUCK out of those slaver fuckhats from behind while they were busy figuring out what to do.

*Nightstalkers? Good CHRIST they hurt.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

There's a hilariously easy way to free the powder gangers. Just pop a stealth boy, crouch and sneak over to them and stand up to free them. They legion will never know you're there.

Oh, and apparently now you actually have a reason to put on the uniforms and armor of enemies you kill. It apparently lets you fool members of a faction that you're one of them. :D
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

So I encountered a merchant caravan. Unlike Fallout 3, these caravans actually have teeth. AND there was a NCR foot patrol of 4 soldiers. 3 Legionares managed to wander into the group. They died very quickly.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

An annoying bit about the game is that you can't run away. I just met my first deathclaw and got killed. Couldn't run away. Too slow.
Perhaps I should have tried sneaking, but this makes exploration a bit of a pain.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Another thing: where can I buy a house? I am rather tired of always having to carry stuff around that I only likely will have to use later.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

Zixinus wrote:Another thing: where can I buy a house? I am rather tired of always having to carry stuff around that I only likely will have to use later.

I got one for free after I recruited Boone by finding the real culprit, couple days later talked to the guy who owns the shop. ( I don't know if it has to be a couple days, it just ended being that for me.)

On that note, Boone is a god at long range fighting. Up close, eh.
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

You get a free room from Novac if you get them to idolize you. After that just talk to the lady in the lobby for a room. Otherwise you can just buy the room.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Zixinus wrote:An annoying bit about the game is that you can't run away. I just met my first deathclaw and got killed. Couldn't run away. Too slow.
Perhaps I should have tried sneaking, but this makes exploration a bit of a pain.
You couldn't run away in FO3 either without going into a building. (Even then not guaranteed).
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Zixinus wrote:Another thing: where can I buy a house? I am rather tired of always having to carry stuff around that I only likely will have to use later.
My recommendation: Send it via Mojave Express to Goodsprings.

Of course, I just got an awesome house with a view, so.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Has anybody had trouble running it with Windows 7?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Oh, and it turns out the Repair skill is still the best way to sploit the economy in NV. Repair something to a high enough condition and you'll get some pretty insane caps for it (close to 500 for a near fully repaired .357 or 10mm).
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Nellis AFB is the home of the Boomers. Getting to it is a gauntlet of artillery fire. Run like hell, and the Boomers will talk to you just to find out how you survived. Then, it's all in the knowledge checks to get them to like you.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Okay, first major peeve with the game, the number of invisible walls erected to prevent the ability to jump from actually being a useful mobility tool. Also, I want the head of the map designer, there are loooooong impassable ridges in the most obnoxious locations.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Ryan Thunder wrote:Has anybody had trouble running it with Windows 7?
No, and if I did, I'd be burning Obsidian down for not adapting to the modern world.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

loomer wrote:
Ryan Thunder wrote:Has anybody had trouble running it with Windows 7?
No, and if I did, I'd be burning Obsidian down for not adapting to the modern world.

It fucking locked up on me this evening and now closes out whenever I try to load *any* of my saved games(having taken the Ars Technia review to heart and saved early and often).

I am so damn pissed.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

One of my friends is reporting the game locks up on him and he's using the 360 version. Did you redeem any DLC codes for preorder content?
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Lonestar wrote: It fucking locked up on me this evening and now closes out whenever I try to load *any* of my saved games(having taken the Ars Technia review to heart and saved early and often).

I am so damn pissed.
Burn the offices down, Lonestar! You know you want to!

Ahem.

While I can't help with that, has anyone else felt that the entirety of a goddamn desert is more lively than Fallout 3's areas? Seems like there's more towns, the big multi-zone city is actually inhabited, and it just feels more alive to me.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

loomer wrote:
Lonestar wrote: It fucking locked up on me this evening and now closes out whenever I try to load *any* of my saved games(having taken the Ars Technia review to heart and saved early and often).

I am so damn pissed.
Burn the offices down, Lonestar! You know you want to!

Ahem.

While I can't help with that, has anyone else felt that the entirety of a goddamn desert is more lively than Fallout 3's areas? Seems like there's more towns, the big multi-zone city is actually inhabited, and it just feels more alive to me.
It would make sense since in FO3 Washington D.C. was nuked many times over. There'd be less life and a lot more barren areas.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

There's more clean water, for one thing. That alone leads to healthier settlements and more people. There is also the matter of Hoover Dam, a huge power source for whomever controls it.

And yes, DC was nuked multiple times, while the Mojave was less affected.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

My first big bug, yayyy. Boone won't stop starting conversations. Ugh.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

I've only found some bugs for maximum exploitation.

If you overload Helios One, the quest completion part never goes away. 345 xp, 2 stims, 2 doc bags.

Similarly, if you recruit Old Ben for the.. Ahem.. Job, you can keep spamming the check for some xp each time.

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

General Zod wrote:
Zixinus wrote:Has anyone saw the alien at the beginning of the game? I picked Wild Wasteland and it is supposed to show up at the doc's house.
I picked the Wild Wasteland too, but so far I haven't noticed anything exceedingly strange or out of the ordinary. (Aside from getting gangraped by a bunch of radscorpions and feral ghouls all at once, mind you.)
Only thing i've noticed so far is a certain SW reference in Nipton :D
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

General Zod wrote:One of my friends is reporting the game locks up on him and he's using the 360 version. Did you redeem any DLC codes for preorder content?
Yup.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."