Far Cry 2 Masterpiece Avoided

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Re: Far Cry 2 Masterpiece Avoided

Post by Alyeska »

What are the best weapons to get in the game? Is the AR14 worth while? What about the sniper rifles?
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The SVD is Jesus. The Ar14 isn't very reliable and is burst fire. AKs basically never break. I prefer the MAC to the Uzi. I also love the flare pistol because it's basically a Molotov launcher.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

ASUS 12-SAW-Flare Pistol/IED/MAC was generally my favourite load out, depending on mission. I'll go against the grain and suggest the MP-5 can actually be useful and that in my later run through I didn't bother with the Dragunov and instead went Dart Rifle and then AS50.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

What's the point for the 50? Slower fire, less ammo. The Dragunov remains useful at short range. I don't see the advantage of the SAW over PK either. My PK jams enough and th SAW is worse. :(
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

You guys REALLY need to hear Stark actually play this game. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Stark wrote:What's the point for the 50? Slower fire, less ammo. The Dragunov remains useful at short range. I don't see the advantage of the SAW over PK either. My PK jams enough and th SAW is worse. :(
I found the SAW was more accurate, basically, and was easier to keep on target in long bursts than the PK. Jamming I'm not sure about.

As for the 50? It's BIG and MANLY and that's all the reason this fat nerd gamer needs. I dunno, I felt that like the Deagle it maybe had more killing power (which IMO is one big frustration in the game that hasn't been highlighted in this thread - how often you have to fucking shoot blokes before they die) than the Dragunov/SMGs but I never tried to really test it. In fact now that I think about it I'm pretty sure the Deagle didn't.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Yeah, about half torso hits from the SVD aren't kills, just cripples. It's good for drawing people out sometimes.

Going back to the PC version, the PK/SAW are really easy to keep on target. 360 version, not so much. I really only use it when I'm taking flares or M79 on pistol.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Stark wrote:Look it's a very frustrating game. :)
I'll tell you what's frustrating - the goddamn Metroid platform puzzles they put in for their (almost always) one diamond briefcases. There are at least three cases I've found but couldn't get to because I couldn't even figure out HOW to get up to it. One of them I later got... because I was driving a truck with a higher rooftop than before.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It's especially bad in the south because all it does is hghlght the lack of climbing. Sure he can't jump so great, but when you can see the rock steps but can't mount them it's lame.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

You know what else is really awesome?

Using a safehouse in the middle of a buddy mission apparently bugs it. I saved at a safehouse before showing up to help a buddy take out a convoy, and when I got there everyone was dead already and he ran around a bit and told me to go around and flank them... so I went to the checkpoint up the road as that was the only place I could see any non-dead enemies and then I get a phone call from him that's like "OH NOOOOOOOOO THEY ARE SURROUNDING ME -" and then I got an Abandoned Buddy tick in my notebook and now I only have one buddy left. Fucking great, how am I supposed to get rescued now?
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Should be able to get another buddy at the bar, IIRC. Might take a little while, though.

- Ron Wilson
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

thejester wrote:Should be able to get another buddy at the bar, IIRC. Might take a little while, though.
Or find one. There are three buddies per stage(North/South) that can be "found" inside the named areas.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

There's only two rescue buddies in south, the other three there are storyline. Go get the fool at the crashed plane in a valley in the north part of the first zone, fuckknows how you're supposed to 'know' it's there.

Also on 360 I just picked up the same jackal tape in three different pickups. Yay?
Artemas
Padawan Learner

Post by Artemas »

I think if you're in need of a new buddy, you can talk to the UFLL or APR boys (the ones guarding the HQs), and they should tell you of a foreigner that has been captured.

Stark, do you mean the crash zone in the north in the second zone?

Some of the diamonds can only be gotten by using a hang glider, or by jumping over chasms (see legion fort). But yeah, its pretty fucking stupid that they included these things at all, when they are so difficult. Ones like the legion fort I don't mind though, its the ones that pretty much cannot otherwise be gotten to other than retarded bunnyhopping that irk me.

General criticisms:

-I would have liked some 'tiered' enemies. Its fucking stupid that a barechested, sandal-wearing militiaman can take 5 or 6 rounds to the torso before dying. Guys with armour should be tougher, not the same.
-Some interfaction conflict, even if it is just a flat % when entering a cell, would have been nice.
-Perhaps some differences between weapons within a certain type? IE, i think all of the assault rifles are the same.
Shrooms: It's interesting that the taste of blood is kind of irony.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Is there a non-bar buddy I can find in the north area?
Jordie
Padawan Learner

Post by Jordie »

Stark wrote:Also on 360 I just picked up the same jackal tape in three different pickups. Yay?
The one about the kid taking the boots from a dead body? It's a bug introduced thanks to the latest patch (good job, ubisoft). If you're going for the achievement you can still get it by finding all of the tapes and handing them over to Reuben, even though they will all say the same thing.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Is there a non-bar buddy I can find in the north area?
The locations closest to town have the enterable buildings which can have buddies. I think the best bet is lumbermill, slaughterhouse and cockfight. There's one in the northern area in an east-west valley you can heal too.

I had the same experience; the first guy died (possibly related to my grenades) and the chick I met at the bar wouldn't actually rescue me. There's a total of six available in the north so going to one of those places should get you more.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Well... good, I guess. I actually kind of liked the cocky Latino stereotype that gave me missions, and preferred the gruff Gunga Din as my rescuer.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The Sikh is my main rescuer. He works well with my Hungarian Jew-boy.

Though I'm stuck with the dumb Latina chick as my mission guide, who's very, very annoying.
Artemas
Padawan Learner

Post by Artemas »

Man, the irish guy actually made me turn on the subtitles, he's that incomprehensible.

I like the algerian dude.

Also, I found that plane crash in the first sector. Man, is that out of the way.
Shrooms: It's interesting that the taste of blood is kind of irony.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Can you only find new buddies when you aren't on a mission?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I dont' know if they're there on a mission, I did a circuit once I was free. Remember that in the tutorial you rescue a guy from one of the locations, so it'll still be empty.

And nobody's 'stuck' with anyone. If you don't like someone, kill them. I kept Hakim, he's awesome. The chinese guy is hilarious as a rescuer.

Do you think you can only choose the male characters because it simplified the dialog? :)
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I rescued some Brazilian chick. Goddamn is her voice annoying.