battleships forever

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Andrew_Fireborn wrote::? I'd heard it's possible to overload shields, hadn't seen it done though. Wonder how much firepower it takes... (Combined or otherwise)
Oh, it's possible. You see my Arcaesar? A single salvo from that can and has one-shotted a Killia, even with the massive point-defenses it has.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I think it's pretty cripplingly lame that 90% of all custom ships are 'look at me I bolted on 23,472 guns and 271,210 shields and IT CAN BEAT THE VANILLA SHIPS LOL'. Sadly I have both a penis and a sex life, and thus cannot appreciate such juvenalia.

Are there any INTERESTING ships? The custom ships forum is (as Neph said) full of embarrassingly dickless bullshit.
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

I don't doubt it. But Rails do penetrate, and Cores can't be shielded... and you've got 27 of them. So I wonder if that one shot is from actual overwhelming fire power, or a lack of core HP.
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

[Red Mage]What fun is a game if you can't horribly abuse the system?[/Red Mage]
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Stark wrote:Are there any INTERESTING ships? The custom ships forum is (as Neph said) full of embarrassingly dickless bullshit.
There're a few... Even a few posts about some kind of balance.

I'm considering finding the boredom to punch up a point buy system and setting up some kind of fleet tourny. Only problem there is that the 'sand box' AI doesn't want to move enemies as a unit, they've just got an aggro range and not much else.

And the creator currently views multiplayer as entirely too difficult to code, and of only minor importance to the game.
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Matt Huang wrote:[Red Mage]What fun is a game if you can't horribly abuse the system?[/Red Mage]
I rest my case? :lol:
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Aahhh, who am I kidding

Mercenary and Bounty Hunter scum of the universe, I give you the good ship:

Boomerang:

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... merang.sb2

enjoy.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Hmmn, I need to get FRAPS so I can post vids of two Princepes duking it out. It's actually pretty epic.

Anyways, now that I know enough about which weapons do what (there was plenty of experimentation on the venerable chassis of the Princeps), I can start making some themed vessels.
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Alright, haven't even started on values for the weapons (I'm bussing it up by size 'class,' you pick one and follow the guidelines for building it. Gotten the basic ship menu items down, though tweaking might be needed.
100 point buy system

Core HP: Cost (stock ship average)
--Battleship Class: 1/50 HP (500)
--Cruiser Class: 1/25 HP (300)
--Frigate Class: 1/10 HP (175)

Max Speed:
--Battleship Class: 1/0.05 speed (1.0)
--Cruiser Class: 1/0.08 speed (2.0)
--Frigate Class: 1/0.10 speed (2.5)

Acceleration:
--Battleship Class: 3/0.01 (0.03)
--Cruiser Class: 2/0.01 (0.07)
--Frigate Class: 1/0.02 (0.1)

Turning
--Battleship Class: 2/0.05 (0.4)
--Cruiser Class: 1/0.05 (0.6)
--Frigate Class: 1/0.2 (3)

Sections
--Battleship Class: 1/2sec & 1/100 HP added to section (300 'custom HP' base.)
--Crusier Class: 1/1sec & 1/75 HP added to section (200 base)
--Frigate Class: 2/1sec & 1/50 HP added to section (100 base)
Thoughts so far? Ideas on what each weapon/module should be rated at for each size class?
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Still screwing around

It cut up one of my Borg Cubes in seconds with its rapidfire railguns and enhanced Weasel gun when it wasn't darting around outflanking everything in sight.

I'm also responsible for the Cyrano de Bergerac (obviously named) and the Destroyer Mk 3 which I demoed earlier.
Image Image
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Stark wrote:I think it's pretty cripplingly lame that 90% of all custom ships are 'look at me I bolted on 23,472 guns and 271,210 shields and IT CAN BEAT THE VANILLA SHIPS LOL'. Sadly I have both a penis and a sex life, and thus cannot appreciate such juvenalia.

Are there any INTERESTING ships? The custom ships forum is (as Neph said) full of embarrassingly dickless bullshit.
Get uh, the Imperium and Chaos shipsets (which are internally consistant and can lose vs squads of stock ships), the Resubmitted Shipset and the Editor's Pick shipsets. Those so far have been the only ones I've found that are worth playing with.

Except for that ungodly MAC 'frigate'. That thing's fun. If you place a shot just right with it's cannon, you can take out a Leviathan Station in one hit :P
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Here's my two themed sets if you want them. They're both still WIP, but I like them.

nBSG ships
I've added a couple of extras into that one. I'm not sure if I like the Base Stars, but they work well enough and 'splode good.

Homeworld Kushan Fleet
If you don't know them, get with the space programme. The Retribution's a serious WIP there, but fun enough. Fear the Firelance.

A Revelation destroyer can one-on-one take out an Alien Cruiser but gets pwned by two, for an example of their average firepower.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Scalpel. Small, extremely fast ship with modified fast-firing blasters and slightly enhanced railguns, with Beams and gat-pulse turrets as backup wing guns. Also equipped is my standard package of Aegis deflectors, Nanomatrix, Flak guns, Point beams, and one Booster per engine. Three can completely destroy anything I set them upon, even my Waverider. It's designed as a pack hunter/flanker.

Its railguns are perfectly capable of destroying an equivalently-shielded ship, and a Waverider can cut one up before it can react. Against vanilla ships, it'll take anything to School!
Image Image
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Scalpel Mk 2. Simple modification of longer nose to mount a third centerline Railgun, two Point Beamers, and two Flak Guns over the MK 1 design.

It defeated this thing with long-range railgun fire in less than half a minute.
Image Image
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

me wrote:Pilots Wanted!

Humanity is in peril! Our Terran Federation is beset on all sides by hostile aliens. The Terran Federation Navy is all that stands between Earth and annihilation. And the navy needs YOU! Enlist today and become the savior of humanity!

Hi all, this is my first post. I must say that I really like the game, like it so much, in fact, that I began re-making the navy as I see it. Which, as it turns out, is very different from the "official" version.

To preempt any complaints, yes, my ships are very powerful compared to the stock versions. That was a deliberate choice- to me, battleships are all about big guns, and I found the game somewhat lacking in that department. :). However, what makes them different from your generic ubership is that they ARE balanced, just not against stock ships. They are balanced against each other, and against opposing navies, which will be released shortly.

So, having said that, here goes:
Click Me

The mighty Manticore Battleship is humanity's last line of defense. Combining incredible firepower with advanced shielding, it is among the most powerful ships in known space.

HP-1500
Speed- 1.25
Turn- 0.35
Acceleration- 0.02
Armament:
8x Deathbeams
4x Heavy Railguns
30x Gatling Blasters
38x Pulse Cannons
10x Scatter Beams
10x Demeter Drone Launchers
6x Demeter Pod Launchers
2x Flak Guns
23x Deflectors
2x Gravitic Impeders
6x Nano Matrices.

The Firedrake Battleship class was created in response to the Zokolak. While it is less powerful than the Manticore, its energy broadside cannot be intercepted.

HP-1000
Speed- 1.60
Turn- 0.55
Acceleration- 0.03
Armaments:
6x Deathbeams
4x Heavy Railguns
8x Gatling Blasters
22x Pulse Cannons
48x Beamers
12x Scatter Beams
10x Demeter Drone Launchers
6x Demeter Pod Launchers
2x Flak Guns
27x Deflectors
1x Gravitic Impeders
3x Nano Matrices.

The Minotaur heavy cruiser is not known for its good looks. It is, however, known known for its firepower. For times when Wyverns are just not enough.

HP- 750
Speed- 2
Turn- 0.75
Acceleration- 0.04
Armaments:
2x Deathbeams
2x Heavy Railguns
10x Gatling Blasters
2x Blasters
8x Pulse Cannons
4x Beamers
5x Scatter Beams
4x Demeter Drone Launchers
4x Demeter Pod Launchers
2x Flak Guns
10x Deflectors
1x Gravitic Impeder
1x Nanomatrix.

The Wyvern-class cruiser is the workhorse of the Terran fleet. It mounts a powerful Heavy Shock Beamer.

HP-500
Speed- 2.15
Turn- 0.75
Acceleration- 0.05
Armaments:
1x Heavy Shock Beamer
2x Heavy Railguns
9x Gatling Blasters
10x Pulse Cannons
4x Beamers
4x Demeter Drone Launchers
1x Flak
9x Deflectors
1x Nanomatrix.

This modification of the Wyvern was created in response to the Zokolak threat. Most of the Wyvern's original weapons to make room for point-defense guns. It is inadvisable to engage a Zokolak fleet without one.

HP- 450
Speed- 2
Turn- 0.75
Acceleration: 0.05
Armaments:
2x Heavy Railguns
6x Pulse Cannons
4x Beamers
1x Demeter Drone Launcher
23x Flak Guns
14x Particle Guns
4x Point Beams
3x Gravitic Impeders
1x Nanomatrix.

The Basilisk light cruiser combines the speed of a destroyer with the firepower of a cruiser. Used for long range patrol, it is often the first one to face new alien threats.

HP-300
Speed- 3
Turn- 0.75
Acceleration- 0.07
Armaments:
2x Heavy Railguns
5x Gatling Blasters
10x Pulse Cannons
1x Quad Blasters
2x Shock Beamers
4x Beamers
1x Demeter Drone Launcher
1x Flak Gun
6x Deflectors
1x Nanomatrix

The Pegasus destroyer has both the speed and the firepower to deal with most opponents in its weight class.

HP- 225
Speed- 3.20
Turn- 0.75
Acceleration- 0.10
Armaments:
2x Heavy Railguns
2x Gatling Blasters
8x Pulse Cannons
1x Quad Blaster
3x Beamers
1x Flak Gun
3x Deflectors
1x Nanomatrix

The experimental Gorgon destroyer was created in response to the Zokolak threat. It mounts experimental Lancet beams, designed to take out the enemy's drone bays.

HP-220
Speed- 3.25
Turn- 0.75
Acceleration- 0.12
Armaments:
3x Lancet Beams
2x Heavy Railguns
2x Gatling Blasters
8x Pulse Cannons
2x Beamers
1x Flak Gun
3x Deflectors
1x Nanomatrix

The Hydra frigate occupies the niche between a fighter and a destroyer.

HP- 175
Speed- 3.50
Turn- 0.90
Acceleration- 0.85
Armaments:
1x Heavy Railgun
1x Gatling Blaster
2x Blaster
4x Pulse Cannons
4x Beamers
4x Flak Guns
6x Deflectors

The Centaur point defense frigate is built on a modified Hydra chassis. It is designed to provide point defense to swarms of fighters.

HP- 185
Speed- 3
Turn- 1
Acceleration- 0.9
Armaments:
1x Projector
3x Beamers
10x Flak Guns
2x Point Beams
10x Particle Guns
6x Deflectors

The Skylla fighter combines high speed and incredible firepower for its size. Groups of it can take out even large ships.

HP-100
Speed- 4.80
Turn- 0.9
Acceleration- 1
Armaments:
6x Blasters
2x Beamers
4x Flak Guns
2x Deflectors

The fastest human ship in existence, the Cerberus space superiority fighter sacrifices protection for speed. It's four Lightining Cannons are absolutetely devastating against enemy fighters.

HP- 85
Speed- 6
Turn- 1.50
Acceleration- .50
Armaments:
4x Lightning Cannons
2x Flak Guns
2x Shields.

And that's all, folks. Next, Zokolak Navy, coming soon.

Enjoy!

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
My new fleet.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

And now, a bonus:
The Zokolak Hierophant

Hierophant Heavy Carrier

HP- 1250
Speed- 1.75
Turn- 0.50
Acceleration: 0.02
Armaments:
1x Mega Tachyon
20x Pulsars
18x Tachyon Driver
18x Weasel Guns
10x Heavy Drone Launchers
12x Medium Drone Launchers

As you can see, they do not have any shields. or direct-fire guns (only projectiles), and their main weapons are lots and lots of drones.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

More screenshots:

A Hierophant runs into a Manticore. It is a sad day for humanity, indeed.

The Hierophant carries enough drones to fill almost the entire screen.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
th15
Redshirt

Post by th15 »

Well, hello there, I'm the silly bugger who made this game. Good to see people showing the game some love :) Now for some good news:

New version released!
Get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/games.php

Whew. Finally completed mission 7, Stronghold. I think you guys will love this mission, it's a really intense mission with appearances from almost everyone in the story. It has an opening sequence much like Titan but this time you get to see an allied fleet executing the perfect formation strategy. You gain access to the Aedon, Moira X and Enyo in this mission, and there are some big asteroids for you to chuck around with the Moira X :)

The new mission also serves as an introduction to the Blockade style of play and has some blockade-like elements. Each career mission is designed to teach the player some new strategy or how to deal with a particular enemy. They are designed to prepare a player to score high on the online highscores for the various skirmish modes.

Aside from that, there are some minor balancing tweaks like a slight reduction to Beamer damage and the Zelus had one of it's Gat Pulses swapped for a normal Pulse. The Athena lost some weapons too. I filled in a lot of missing icons and description text too.

Andrew: That's an interesting way to calculate ship pointing. You can have a look at an excel sheet of the various weapon stats here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... alance.xls
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Welcome aboard th15. As you've probly found out by now, we subscribe to a theory of starship design we call 'Maximum Capability'. We figure out what we can do with a given tech set, then maximize its potential.

Although I do recommend maybe making an inverse correlation between, say, firing rate vs damage or range vs damage, and also set limits to how many components can be put on one hull piece (or measure it by mass and give each component a mass fig); make the hull piece refuse to accept more than it can withstand.

Same as for engines: maybe make different cores have differing 'power output' that determines the speed and maneuverability along with number of hull pieces. Maybe devise a heavy component called 'Reactor' to boost the power output of the ship?
Image Image
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Completely reworked internals and weapon loadout. Oh, and it's even bigger than fgalkin's Glory! New naming convention due to the fact this is a very nearly completely redesigned ship. Bumped up the HP a bit to reflect the toughened hull and bumped up turning rate a bit due to bigger engines aboard.

SB2 sauce for all my designs here.
Image Image
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

I think what I need is either a program that allows me to display images in transparent always-on-top windows, or an update to Shipmaker that allows transparency. Better yet, an update to Shipmaker that allows me to load background images. The point being to use outlines of existing ships instead of eyeballing them.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
th15
Redshirt

Post by th15 »

That's a good idea. The problem is that the way the program works, if I change too many things it breaks compatibility with old ship blueprint files. But I will give it a try.

Honestly, making a ship maker that produced "balanced" ships would either restrict the player too much (and well, a large proportion of people want to do nothing other than make hilarious ships, i.e. Bender.). So, that wasn't the intention with this tool. More than anything else, this tool makes it easier to create ships for the game myself (writing it by hand was crazy).

That said though, I do have plans for a future which will have customized ships as a core gameplay component. But that's for the future, right now I need to get this game finished :)
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

th15 wrote:That's a good idea. The problem is that the way the program works, if I change too many things it breaks compatibility with old ship blueprint files. But I will give it a try.

Honestly, making a ship maker that produced "balanced" ships would either restrict the player too much (and well, a large proportion of people want to do nothing other than make hilarious ships, i.e. Bender.). So, that wasn't the intention with this tool. More than anything else, this tool makes it easier to create ships for the game myself (writing it by hand was crazy).

That said though, I do have plans for a future which will have customized ships as a core gameplay component. But that's for the future, right now I need to get this game finished :)

Congratulations to your work- I'm having a lot of fun with the game

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Th15, good game by the way but i'm curious, if a point defence gun is set to 0 frames between shots((see Gjallerhorn)) what is its rate of fire?
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
th15
Redshirt

Post by th15 »

Minimum rate of fire is still one, weapons will not fire more than once per frame.