World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Victory!
Battle: Siegfried Line Friday, June 28, 2013 11:28:08 PM
Vehicle: Churchill I
Experience received: 1,914 (x3)
Credits received: 25,103
Battle Achievements: Sniper, Kay's Medal II Class
Vendetta wrote:(also, Churchill is one of those tanks that only works when the opponent is bad, if the opponent is at any point non-bad they'll just shoot at the nice invitingly flat turret and wreck you)
The opposing team also had a Churchill I. I kept shooting it in the turret before one of my teammates finished it off. Also lay down the hurt on a T1 Heavy and finished off a stray Panzer 38 nA while I was at it, too. Got ambushed by an enemy SU-85, but by then the base capture was complete anyway.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

My laptop has serious inherent problems with fps and (sometimes) lag, so I pretty much have to fire while stationary. I can't engage targets meaningfully while on the move because half the time it seems like my tank is teleporting forward one meter at a time rather than rolling.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

That sucks, you'd think with all the low end optimization that it would get better, but I guess not.

Anyway, who says the 105 is useless now.

Map: Westfield
Date: Saturday, June 29, 2013 10:20:58 AM
Vehicle: M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo
Exp: 1,807 + Credits: 50,618
Achievements: : Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

1,673 damage dealt, 1,172 damage dealt on spotting/tracking, 5 kills (M4, KV-1S, Pz. 4, Wolverine, and Covenantor).

Not a single heat round fired and I would have had a top gun but my shot bounced and somebody stole it.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Jub wrote:That sucks, you'd think with all the low end optimization that it would get better, but I guess not.
It did. Before, it was worse.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Victory!
Battle: Siegfried Line 30 June 2013 18:43:28
Vehicle: Pz.Kpfw. IV Schmalturm
Experience received: 4,017 (x3)
Credits received: 49,188
Battle Achievements: Master Gunner, Sharpshooter, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

Oh, I've missed you.

I've also been driving the Heavy Churchill some more recently and that's been producing some really solid matches... somehow. Next, onto the AMX M4 1945.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

I picked up the WZ-132 the other day, and this may be one of the most fun tanks I've ever driven.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I've been playing the 59-16 myself, nearly to the 131. I'm really feeling the lack of sixth sense, playing a 580hp tank in a tier 7+ game without it is like skydiving without a parachute, it's not a matter of if the splat comes, it's when.

Also, y'know, relying on whatever 14 random idiots the internet vomits up to do damage to things you light up....
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

The 59-16 is pretty mediocre due to the lack of a workable gun, but the 131 and 132 are both proper combat light tanks.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Yeah, tanks are just not impressed by the tickle cannon.

I'm keeping my winrate up by a mixture of luck and occasional heroics, but my wn7 is fluctuating because I just can't make the damage or kills with the tickle cannon.

It does make a mess of arty, if you can sneak through the lines and get at them, but otherwise you have to be in just the right spot to do anything.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Scout tanks and efficiency do not go hand in hand. I ground a friend's account to a T-50-2 and never got past tier five in any line. 1300 or so efficiency on a 63% wr account. Looks like a company stat padder from hell.

Also can I just take a second to say that I hate what efficiency has done to this game? Damage farming is no fun to be around, especially when you run into purple padding platoons who basically try to throw the game and miss for optimal damage making. At least people tried to win when w/r was the big stat.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Efficiency and w/r mean nothing to me personally. I play for fun and try to win, but I'm not going to get into an OCD 'need high win-rate/efficiency!!!' thing.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

In the majority of cases (ie. not pure scouting), WN7 correlates well with the actions required to win consistently across tiers, and compensates for most forms of stat padding (damage farming only works to an extent, because as your average tier increases the value of damage in your WN7 decreases but the value of kills/game increase).

The only way to artificially inflate it is to only play tanks that are OP at their tier and get damage and kills. And that means you'll also be winning a lot.

If you just look at win rate then people just stat pad by seal clubbing, and your ability to win matches in a loltraktor says nothing about your ability to win matches at higher tiers because the gameplay is completely different.

I like to win, but I like to carry even more, because that means you win because of you, not because you happened to get a good run of teams, and that is what high WN7 shows happening.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Victory!
Battle: Lakeville Monday, July 01, 2013 12:04:45 AM
Vehicle: Churchill VII
Experience received: 617
Credits received: 25,122
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall

Frst Steel Wall I've had in a long time. My opponents must have been really bad if they tried and failed that hard to take me out.

ImageImageImage
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Victory!
Battle: Ruinberg 01 July 2013 19:57:18
Vehicle: AMX M4 mle. 45
Experience received: 4,260 (x2)
Credits received: 85,688
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Defender, Spartan, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

You know, this thing might be a keeper. Despite having no armour, the armour it doesn't have seems to to the job frontally. Combined with a heck of a gun and decent speed, it's like driving a gigantic, fat, low-HP Panther.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Mountain Pass Monday, July 01, 2013 5:02:20 PM
Vehicle: T95
Experience received: 2,020
Credits received: 67,044

I'm really loving these new missions. An extra 900 exp and 45k credits sure isn't a bad thing.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Fisherman's Bay Monday, July 01, 2013 7:03:27 PM
Vehicle: T95
Experience received: 2,589
Credits received: 100,000
Battle Achievements: Sniper, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

This tank is a shining example of what happens when your team mates prevent you from being flanked. Also, the new missions are awesome. Again. Got 5 kills, 4.3k damage.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Defeat
Battle: Siegfried Line Monday, July 01, 2013 11:49:50 PM
Vehicle: Churchill I
Experience received: 978
Credits received: 43,210
Battle Achievements: Sniper

The Sniper medal and the mission bonus isn't enough to wash the bitter taste out of my mouth. Some moron in an SU-85 drove into the dragon's teeth instead of resetting the cap, and some jackass Medium III got an Invader medal for it.

ImageImageImage

Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

GHETTO EDIT: Actually, after checking records, it was an SU-76 who drove into the dragon's teeth. The SU-85 on my team actually performed quite well. All that is beside the point, though. Having defeat snatched from the jaws of victory is still a depressingly common occurence.

ImageImageImage

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Victory!
Battle: Murovanka Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:56:24 AM
Vehicle: ELC AMX
Experience received: 1,129
Credits received: 40,094
Battle Achievements: Scout

I wish I had thought to turn on the battle recorder. Ran right through the enemy base, and had (at various times) a KV-1S, M7, A-20, and Sherman all shooting at me and chasing me. Somehow I survived till the end of the match, and managed to kill their arty (and the M7).
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Victory!
Battle: Westfield Tuesday, July 02, 2013 11:40:31 AM
Vehicle: T-150
Experience received: 1,566
Credits received: 53,992
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Top Gun

And then I get this. Got to love the T-150.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I swear the heat nerf somehow made the 105 on my Jumbo even better. I'm getting consistent 1k+ damage games now and earn silver to boot.

Defeat!
Map: Sand River
Date: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:06:06 PM
Vehicle: M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo
Exp: 579 + Credits: 25,465
Achievements: : Sniper

1,386 damage done, 1 kill, 506 helper damage, 13/14 shots hit.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Y'know, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get way more with the 76mm. 1386 damage is pretty pathetic for ten shots of a gun that has a theoretical of 410 (min for Sniper)...
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I don't fire heat and the 76mm doesn't give me the same freedom to deal equal damage to targets above me in tier. Against peers the 76mm is likely a great option, but the 105, to my lay style, allows me a lot more freedom. How likely is the 76mm to deal 500+ damage to a KV-5 frontally in situations where flanking will get me shot? Plus the 105 is better at tracking targets and, ironically, allows me to stand off at ranges where the 76 wouldn't work. Also, even with the faster ROF the 76 is more likely to bounce and deal no damage and I don't always fire at full ROF anyway so the extra DPM isn't what I look for.

I play the Jumbo like a little bulldog that isn't afraid to charge larger tanks and that can switch to heat to two hit weaker foes. I doubt I'd be as good with the 76mm as it would mean I have to play it like a proper medium which isn't how I see that tank.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Your piddly 410 HE is not going to scare the front of a KV-5 either, because you won't penetrate and your damage is halved and then reduced by armour. You might get lucky occasionally and roll high, but it's far better to disengage and look for something else to shoot.

You can totally make 128mm penetration work in tier 8 games if you're clever, I've done it several times on my Type 58.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I've done 500+ damage on multiple occasions over 3 or 4 shots with multiple crits. If you aim well you can claim a track and deal damage with each shot netting you even more experience and gold per shot. Your Type 58 also has better speed and turning radius for flanking and lacks the armor to bounce some of the shots I can with angling. It's a play style thing and I'm simply not as effective with the 76. Besides if I wanted a tank to use the 76 on I'd buy an Easy 8.