World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Okay, so... the JagdPanther is amazing.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

The JP is a really solid piece of kit. Watch out for the lower glacis and, to an extent, the upper glacis and you're sorted. Range is your armour most of the time because you can't realistically angle the machine very well. It's not got a big learning curve and really does function nicely.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Only my 21st match with it, and still with the 90mm and stock engine.

I may be going to enjoy this tank.

(yes, that's a big number, but it includes 2000 bonus XP for the top gun on midweek medal hunt). Still, best part of 1600 undoubled non prem XP. In an almost stock tank.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

There was a bonus for top guns yesterday? Let me tell you about the two I got hosed out of that night...
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

xthetenth wrote:There was a bonus for top guns yesterday? Let me tell you about the two I got hosed out of that night...

There is today on the EU server, midweek medal hunt every wednesday.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Hm, checking "GloatingSwine"... 54% average win ratio, 57% with T29. Not bad at all, Vendetta. You make a positive difference to your team.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

One tries.

Also, though I'm enjoying the T29 I'm convinced the tracks are made of rubber bands and string, they break with just about every hit. This is a tank that really really needs Repair skill on its crew. It's also almost as good for attracting arty shells as the Centurions, I can almost see the glee in their dirty little faces when they spot one.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

That engine deck is an object of perverse lust for artillerists, and the tracks do get knocked out a lot, but in return it's a tank that can slug it out even with other tier sevens in open terrain, devours things in rougher terrain, blends alpha, pen and dpm quite well. Quite good overall, even if I wasn't worth near as much back when I played it.
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Hehehehe...

So, I'm grinding through the T-80 now that I no longer have to go through the BT-7 and A20 to get the T-34. I get into an Murovanka assault match as defence where besides arty, I'm the only tier 4 on my team in a tier 6 match. This was the result:

I'm so tired of hearing people bitch about being low tier. Some of the best games I've ever had have been when I was low tier.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Yeah, I got an 1800 damage game in a Type 58 and a 1700 damage game in a T1 heavy a bit back where both were bottom tier, and they were both hilarious games for xp. Great fun.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

My very first match with a T29 I had nothing upgraded except for the 90mm gun. I got a Boelter's, and we lost the match.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I got the Top Gun for the Pershing during the event, and very nearly got one too for the Cromwell. I just couldn't do anything wrong with either tank in those matches - my Pershing bounced three point-blank hits from a KV-1S's 122mm gun while the Cromwell danced around and killed tank after enemy tank without taking a hit.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Hawkwings wrote:My very first match with a T29 I had nothing upgraded except for the 90mm gun. I got a Boelter's, and we lost the match.
The T29's very nature makes it such a crazy tank for heroic defeats. A single, bunny eared form... proudly on the horizon of a hill. Holding off seven or eight times it's number, before falling with a broken weapon and a ring of dead foes around it.

goddamn pubs
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Vendetta wrote:One tries.

Also, though I'm enjoying the T29 I'm convinced the tracks are made of rubber bands and string, they break with just about every hit. This is a tank that really really needs Repair skill on its crew. It's also almost as good for attracting arty shells as the Centurions, I can almost see the glee in their dirty little faces when they spot one.
Have you tried to put on enhanced suspension / torsion bars / enhanced levers? It makes the tracks less fragile. I had the same problem on my Pc1C, and after putting on enhanced springs, tracks are much more durable. I don't think it's too expensive, either. (That thing has too many names. It's the one with 3 wheels as a symbol.)
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The trouble with the enhanced suspensions and similar is that the module HP is sufficiently low compared to the amount of damage being chucked around at high tiers that a mere 50% bonus doesn't really make a difference. T29's upgraded tracks only have 190HP, and when they're down to yellow it's only 110 or something like that, so the only difference is that you get detracked by the second shot not the first, and then every shot thereafter. Unless the first shot was arty, and arty loves T29s and keeps throwing its underwear at them.

Better to rely on the repair skill, but I currently only have 2/6 crew at 75% in it, carrying a large repair kit + toolbox instead of a fire extinguisher might help (only caught fire once in 50 battles, so it doesn't seem terribly vulnerable to fire). Once my second loader hits 100% and starts on the repair skill, and I start the commander and gunner on it as second skill it'll start getting better.

Could do with a x2 crew XP event WG...
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

I think it was 3x crew xp last weekend...
Just had a nice run with my BT-2. Didn't do too much myself, but we won 15-0. :)
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

3x for Tier X, 2x for Tier IX, discounts on Tier VIII.

No good for my US heavy crew, as I'm only on tier VII.

Also, it looks like HEAT rounds are taking a general kick in the tits in 8.6, losing penetration across the board, anywhere up to 45-50 in some cases (105 derp HEAT will now have 104 pen). High tier AP and APCR for heavies is taking a bit of a nerf as well, but by much less (10 or so).
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

xthetenth wrote:Yeah, I got an 1800 damage game in a Type 58 and a 1700 damage game in a T1 heavy a bit back where both were bottom tier, and they were both hilarious games for xp. Great fun.
My T-34-85 had a 2400 damage game as bottom tier a couple of days ago, but that was helped by my second shot of the game ammo racking a Type 59 for 860 damage.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

I lost the T1 battle. It was magical,
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Y'know, I think I'm done with this game. I haven't landed a hit or even come close enough for splash in my M40/43 in something like five days now, and the upcoming patch is just going to make that worse. I haven't even been able to squeeze out a win in my Valentine II in the same time period. I don't have fun with it anymore, it just makes me angry, so I'm out.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:Y'know, I think I'm done with this game. I haven't landed a hit or even come close enough for splash in my M40/43 in something like five days now, and the upcoming patch is just going to make that worse.
Actually, it's not.

Y'see, they're changing the whole way accuracy works in 8.6, instead of your aim circle representing a 1.3 sigma standard deviation it will represent a 2 sigma standard deviation. Which means that rather than 50% of shots landing in the inner half and 17% clipping the edge of the circle, 70% will land in the inner half and only 4% will clip the edge.

The accuracy decrease for artillery is actually to keep them in the same place they are now.

The aim of this, and of upcoming changes to camo mechanics (bushes less OP, camo factors rebalanced, camo nets and paintjobs changed to be flat per vehicle class not dependent on individual camo factor), are to increase the average combat range in the game, arty was kept static because it already operates at longer ranges than other vehicles.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Just read about the M60 and new clan stuff and can't help but feel it is a terrible idea.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Also, latest match on the KV-5

Damage: 1,261
Potential Damage Received: 9,445
Hits Received: 38

The damn thing refused to die. :D
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Zinegata wrote:Just read about the M60 and new clan stuff and can't help but feel it is a terrible idea.
Yes and no. Thing is 30 clans is enough that people are scrambling to try and fix things to somehow keep one particularly unwanted clan out of M60s (not actually a joke, the guy running that clan is such an intense tool it's in danger of eclipsing the sun). So the tank's basically throwing all the decent CW clans a bone. The tiers are incredibly annoying though because that means crew retraining in all likelihood, and that's going to eat gold. So everyone's got something to be mad about and something to be glad about, we'll see how it pans out.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

xthetenth wrote:
Zinegata wrote:Just read about the M60 and new clan stuff and can't help but feel it is a terrible idea.
Yes and no. Thing is 30 clans is enough that people are scrambling to try and fix things to somehow keep one particularly unwanted clan out of M60s (not actually a joke, the guy running that clan is such an intense tool it's in danger of eclipsing the sun). So the tank's basically throwing all the decent CW clans a bone. The tiers are incredibly annoying though because that means crew retraining in all likelihood, and that's going to eat gold. So everyone's got something to be mad about and something to be glad about, we'll see how it pans out.
Well, the stated goal is to get more people to participate in CW. It didn't really do anything for me, and I don't think it will actually do anything for all the scrub clans.