STGOD2 OOC Thread

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Yes, Alyyrium that's the kind of power gaming I intend to avoid.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Hey Stormbringer, when you look at the galaxy map which way is North?
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
PROMETHEUS
Youngling

Post by PROMETHEUS »

It's aligned in a standard manner, i.e. the top of the map is north, bottom is south, left is west and right is east.
"Mostly Harmless"
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Raxmei wrote:Hey Stormbringer, when you look at the galaxy map which way is North?
As Crayz/Promethus says, north is up.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Fire your navigators. The Atlanteans were to the southwest of you. There's nothing to the northwest except Boyd.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Raxmei wrote:Fire your navigators. The Atlanteans were to the southwest of you. There's nothing to the northwest except Boyd.
Meh, not as far this game is concerned.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Stormbringer wrote:
How aobut you just change the post?
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:
How aobut you just change the post?
Fair enough, though this STGOD isn't going to be entirely bound by the ASVS STGOD.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Alyrium, do you honestly think that your post is going to keep me from jumping you?
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

It's certainly not bound by it, but keeping some continuity wouldn't be a bad thought.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

phongn wrote:It's certainly not bound by it, but keeping some continuity wouldn't be a bad thought.
Yes, and I edited the post.
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

Everyone who is dispatching fleets- make sure to post exactly how many vessels, and of what classes, you are deploying.

We need to keep this combat clean and by the numbers.

I'm sending 1 Athena DN, 2 Artemis DNs, 1 Hera CR, 10 Adrastea CA, 50 Erithea FS, 100 Hesperia FE, 25 Alcyone DD, and 15 Orphne CL, to clarify my post.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Dahak, I don't think so. You're not pulling planet killing weapons out of your ass.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Alyrium, knock off the power gaming.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Stormbringer wrote:Dahak, I don't think so. You're not pulling planet killing weapons out of your ass.
Well, sized them down a bit.
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

You don't want to be introducing superweapons, Dahak. Trust me on this, you'll force the STGOD into a huge arms race, which might just kill it. Everyone will start fielding strategic deterrants and everyone will get hit with strategic paralysis as a result.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Dahak wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:Dahak, I don't think so. You're not pulling planet killing weapons out of your ass.
No, super weapons out of now where, period. You can develop them but they should take an appropriately long time to be developed.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Stormbringer wrote:
Dahak wrote:
No, super weapons out of now where, period. You can develop them but they should take an appropriately long time to be developed.
It's just a gravitonic warhead. Nothing huge. And I had gravitonic warheads in my oob from the start. "Small moon" destruction power isn't that seldom, even a measly HH SD can pull that one off...
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Dahak wrote: It's just a gravitonic warhead. Nothing huge. And I had gravitonic warheads in my oob from the start. "Small moon" destruction power isn't that seldom, even a measly HH SD can pull that one off...
You shouldn't ever have had them in your OOB. If people are going to participate expecting to field shield piercing superweapons on the fly then this STGOD will die.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Dahak wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:
Dahak wrote: Well, sized them down a bit.
It's just a gravitonic warhead. Nothing huge. And I had gravitonic warheads in my oob from the start. "Small moon" destruction power isn't that seldom, even a measly HH SD can pull that one off...
I'm going to have to give some though to that. I don't want them turning into invincible superweapons. Those kill the game.
PROMETHEUS
Youngling

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Look, it's one thing to be able to glass the surface of a planet; an Imperator XXVII can do that, as can an Ares-class CL. But completely shattering, or imploding, something is a different matter.
"Mostly Harmless"
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Due to the prevelence in hypershielding in the pre-Great War STGOD Universe, I believe it is safe to say modern shielding will not let these dinky hypermissiles penetrate unless they can overwhelm the energy levels needed. Keep in mind that moon-busting firepower is high end, and you don't get lots of these missiles to toss around. I have every intention of keeping the strategic deterrent escapades down.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

The other way to break through a hypershield is to 'pop' it by throwing so many missiles on different bands that the shield is overloaded trying to protect against so many bands that some leak through.

Unfortunately for someone who wants to try that attack, STGOD-style hypershields are extremely broad-spectrum and are very, very band-agile. 'Popping' a hypershield doesn't work anymore, so now hypermissiles just go splat against hypershields and their payload may or may not detonate depending on what it si.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

PROMETHEUS wrote:Look, it's one thing to be able to glass the surface of a planet; an Imperator XXVII can do that, as can an Ares-class CL. But completely shattering, or imploding, something is a different matter.
While it's actually fairly trivial given current technology levels, for game purposes IMHO they should be banned. Strategic paralysis in a game sucks.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

SirNitram wrote:Due to the prevelence in hypershielding in the pre-Great War STGOD Universe, I believe it is safe to say modern shielding will not let these dinky hypermissiles penetrate unless they can overwhelm the energy levels needed. Keep in mind that moon-busting firepower is high end, and you don't get lots of these missiles to toss around. I have every intention of keeping the strategic deterrent escapades down.
Fun fact: you don't need to mount gravitonic warheads on hypermissiles :) Just as all warheads, you can mounts them on STl missiles as well...
GALE Force Euro Wimp