[HH-STGOD] Discussion thread

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

consequences wrote:No problem, but I am choosing to interpret stumbling into as "detected just short of but can't alter course" rather than "duh, lets just wander through the minefields hyuck"
That's fine with me. I wasn't talking blunder into mine field, die horribly. Just one way to bleed you guys out a little.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

How's your fleet manuvering Consequences, Dahak? Are the CLACs with the fleet or hanging back?
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

With the fleet, at the center of ye old defensive shell, with 600 reserve LAC covering the rear.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Okay, I'm figuring the Mesans having some of their heavier ships deployed on the edge of the system to prevent raids with the wall of battle retained closer to the planet itself.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

As I was of the notion that our two fleets were charging from two sides of the system (as detailed in the main thread), my screening units will form a defensive shell around the Ships of the Wall, with drones deployed. Nothing fancy, just a bog-standard wall (up to now...)
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

I'm sorry, how exactly did those missiles arrive first? Unless your attack was launched from more than 14 million klicks, they were in the Manties 95000G MDM envelope. There's also the fact that your missiles would probably have had to cross the point defense envelope of the 600 reserve LAC force to get there.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

consequences wrote:I'm sorry, how exactly did those missiles arrive first? Unless your attack was launched from more than 14 million klicks, they were in the Manties 95000G MDM envelope. There's also the fact that your missiles would probably have had to cross the point defense envelope of the 600 reserve LAC force to get there.

MDM missles fired at range. Mesa is probably one of the few League worlds that has the same tech as the frontier nations. Hell, it might well have better.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

That could have been made clearer. :evil:
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

consequences wrote:That could have been made clearer. :evil:
Sorry, I thought the mdms reference was enough.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

I somehow completely missed the mdms, seeing it as missiles for some unknown reason. Oops.
I will state that I don't believe the internal tubes should have been launching them, as mdm tubes take up 18% more space than a Superdreadnought missile tube, and would be a bitch to squeeze into a Battleship hull, even provided that Mesa was willing to go through the needed time and money to upgrade.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

consequences wrote:I somehow completely missed the mdms, seeing it as missiles for some unknown reason. Oops.
I will state that I don't believe the internal tubes should have been launching them, as mdm tubes take up 18% more space than a Superdreadnought missile tube, and would be a bitch to squeeze into a Battleship hull, even provided that Mesa was willing to go through the needed time and money to upgrade.
Figured as much. It happens.

For the same warhead size. You could either use smaller missles or just refit the ships. The RMN did the latter and Mesa certainly has the resources and will to do the same.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

With the proviso that number of missiles per hull should be reduced, or some other aspect of the ship should suffer.

Oh well, I'll blame it on the CLAC commanding admiral, yeah, that's the ticket.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

consequences wrote:With the proviso that number of missiles per hull should be reduced, or some other aspect of the ship should suffer.

Oh well, I'll blame it on the CLAC commanding admiral, yeah, that's the ticket.
It would be and is. Hence an even more missle heavy BB.

Blame it on whoever you like. Of course why not those wily Mesans?
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Do my fleet happens to run into some resistance sometime before I reach range of the fortresses?
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Dahak wrote:Do my fleet happens to run into some resistance sometime before I reach range of the fortresses?
Give it time.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Consequences, White Haven was shooting half blind at extreme range. The missles were very dependant on their seekers. At more than that they'll be totally dependent. And even the best internal seekers are pretty well crap in a heavy ECM evironment.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Just out of curiosity: how did you get your little fleet past a dense shell of drones in the first place?
GALE Force Euro Wimp
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Understood, I'm not griping. However, it would give a decent test of the Mesan defenses, and cover some deep recon drone probes.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Dahak wrote:Just out of curiosity: how did you get your little fleet past a dense shell of drones in the first place?
The usual way. Creep is extremely slowly and under extremely good stealth. If the Solly built stuff can hide from straight up Ghost Rider stuff Havenite equipment is less of a challenge.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

consequences wrote:Understood, I'm not griping. However, it would give a decent test of the Mesan defenses, and cover some deep recon drone probes.
Yeah, it would.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Dahak,

EW & ECM aren't detection systems. EW stands for Electronic Warfare and ECM is Electronic Countermeasures.

I assume you mean that radar and lidar have gone active and full power.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Consequences,

It's bad form to destroy the other guys fleet the way you're doing. For one thing you're ignored the major problems with maximum range fire against ECM heavy targets. Even your improved seekers aren't going to enable easy kills at that range and low salvo density.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

That's why the LAC force is in closer, to provide fire coordination. I figured since you hadn't reacted to them, that the Mesans hadn't detected them.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

consequences wrote:That's why the LAC force is in closer, to provide fire coordination. I figured since you hadn't reacted to them, that the Mesans hadn't detected them.
LACs, even Ferrets, don't have the datalinks to control Capship missles. So in then end it comes down to their own seekers and the links from the launching ships.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

That's a bit difficult to buy.
Consider that the pods that have been in use since SVW have had capship missiles, and were capable of being controlled by ships down to Heavy Cruiser size, in numbers fifty percent greater than the CA's broadside, in conjunction with the ship's full broadside being simultaneously fired. In comparison, each LAC is only responsible for three missiles at any given moment, less than the salvo size they would normally be firing.