STGOD2 OOC Thread

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

If anyone's curious, the old STGOD rules (circa 2000 AD) were as follows:

STGOD Rules:

1. All forces and abilities must be declared openly on the NG or via
private email to the moderator before the start of battle.
2. You may declare secret reserves and abilities directly to the moderator
via private email. These forces may not be attacked until they are
revealed - they are secret after all.
3. You may not use new forces or gain them by any means (except the your
factories that are IN THEATRE may build some ships at a reasonable rate at
the discretion of the moderator). In other words once the declaration
period is over then you may not add any new troops and if your current
forces get wiped out then you are basically out of the TGOD (unless you want
your individual character to do something).
4. The moderator may declare a post unreasonable if he has a GOOD reason to
(i.e. if the person making the post ignores what someone has previously said
or if they use forces/abilities that they didn't declare).
5. You may not control other players forces without permission (obviously
this rule must be interpreted in the spirit rather than being lawyeristic
about it).

---

Rule #3 has been relaxed a bit lately, and I don't know if anyone has used #2 recently (it being a secret, and all). There's also an etiquette guide, but I can't find a copy at the moment.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Mitth`raw`nuruodo wrote:I would love to join, I've always wanted to participate in one of these.

And Rye, Gnomes be mine! Arr! :P
Well we could always just be different sides of the same empire or something, or just say we allied at the start and share resources or something.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

The Mafiosi and I are willing to join. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I would love to try my hand at one again... Perhaps use a race of cephalopod people(not everyone need be humanoid)
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Okay, who will be the moderator of this STGOD, officially? I have decided I want to join, if y'all will have me. Although, my choice of race is decidedly....different....
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

Rye wrote:
Mitth`raw`nuruodo wrote:I would love to join, I've always wanted to participate in one of these.

And Rye, Gnomes be mine! Arr! :P
Well we could always just be different sides of the same empire or something, or just say we allied at the start and share resources or something.
Or maybe there could be two gnomish empires, split from a larger one or something. ALlied, or against eachother...
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

I reaffirm my intention to bring back the space rats.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Fear the wrath of the space octopi!!!!

It is either going to be space octopi or space newts I cand decide which....
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

I would simply suggest that everyone interested take a look through the STGOD area of this page.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

I have a basic idea for adjusting the continuity of the STGOD Mk.1 universe.

The Atlanteans and SKS sign a brief cease-fire after Skaarjin, because they've both suffered too many losses to go on. Over a couple of years they try to build back up, the SKS losses are too much to effectively make up, especially among trained magic users, and the Atlanteans start up another offensive.

Fortunately, the Lost get enough forces free to assist the SKS significantly, the Atlanteans bog down. Then, the Outsiders decide to make up for the failure of their experiments in the Milky Way by expelling the Kzin from their galaxy to ours... and sympathetic Outsiders give them technical assistance. A Fifth-Century Rome style barbarian envelopment ensues, with the Kzin siezing much of the newly uninhabited Boyd territory and causing massive damage to civilized infrastructure. At the end, the annoyingly huge fleets can no longer be supported.

To open things up for new players:
Neo-feudalism develops, because the central governments are no longer capable of properly running their territories. The Atlanteans splinter up due to massive mutinies among their Kzin auxilia and revolts of subject populations, the SKS have some of their autonomous regions decide to go their own way, and other galaxies ravaged by the raging evil Kzin or the Lost-Zerg war have refugees showing up.

This would require us to fast forward a bit, but not more than 100-300 years. We retain the basic animosity of previous nations/characters but we correct what was really annoying and make space for new characters.

Any thoughts yourself?
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

works for me I suppose... the Aquarian Union will have simply not had contact with the rest of the Nations until then...

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Pablo Sanchez wrote: Any thoughts yourself?
You'd be denying new players a decent history and uniqueness.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

I like it; it evokes a very interesting setting. Technology level can probably be around SW(One ISD-equiv per forty major planets, or so? That was the Empire's own level, going from Official), unless people have their own preferences. I shall be keeping the Lost, though primarily for Moderator Action: Nothing stops a twinkish post like an extragalactic fleet Folding in. :wink: I'll come up with a more sane power for regular play later.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Sea Skimmer wrote:You'd be denying new players a decent history and uniqueness.
I don't think so. You have to remember that the STGOD Mk.1 galaxy was actually somewhat polyglot, it was just that the different culture groups were buried under various Austria-Hungary super-states. On the fringes of the largely homogenous SKS and Boyd Collective, you had a lot of variety, and there were some minority populations within the SKS itself. With the evaporation of the Boyd and the splintering of the other big powers, there's plenty of space for new powers. 300 years is a long time... enough time for Spain to go from 1300 A.D. obscurity to 1600 A.D. empire.
--The Lord Humungus
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
I don't think so. You have to remember that the STGOD Mk.1 galaxy was actually somewhat polyglot, it was just that the different culture groups were buried under various Austria-Hungary super-states. On the fringes of the largely homogenous SKS and Boyd Collective,
Doesn't that account for over half the galaxy?

you had a lot of variety, and there were some minority populations within the SKS itself. With the evaporation of the Boyd and the splintering of the other big powers, there's plenty of space for new powers. 300 years is a long time... enough time for Spain to go from 1300 A.D. obscurity to 1600 A.D. empire.
The Spanish forged an Empire in the time, but I believe there culture and language was established well before that. The impression I've gotten of most of the powers is that they certainly would have forced a single language and view of history onto there citizens.
Technology level can probably be around SW(One ISD-equiv per forty major planets, or so? That was the Empire's own level, going from Official)
Official was also very minimalist, though I do wonder how many planets would be left given the proposed back-story. Star Wars technology is good though.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Pablo Sanchez wrote:
I don't think so. You have to remember that the STGOD Mk.1 galaxy was actually somewhat polyglot, it was just that the different culture groups were buried under various Austria-Hungary super-states. On the fringes of the largely homogenous SKS and Boyd Collective,
Doesn't that account for over half the galaxy?
Yep. Lots of room for people to come up with groups that finally got it together after the 'dark ages'.

you had a lot of variety, and there were some minority populations within the SKS itself. With the evaporation of the Boyd and the splintering of the other big powers, there's plenty of space for new powers. 300 years is a long time... enough time for Spain to go from 1300 A.D. obscurity to 1600 A.D. empire.
The Spanish forged an Empire in the time, but I believe there culture and language was established well before that. The impression I've gotten of most of the powers is that they certainly would have forced a single language and view of history onto there citizens.
Technology level can probably be around SW(One ISD-equiv per forty major planets, or so? That was the Empire's own level, going from Official)
Official was also very minimalist, though I do wonder how many planets would be left given the proposed back-story. Star Wars technology is good though.
The backstory would suggest an extreme minimist situation, though, as most of the Galaxy has gone to tatters. This also keeps the 'burninate twelve planets all at once' posts to a minimum. I would, however, up the production rate of new keels, so that people aren't afraid to throw ships into the fray.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

My reasoning for the ISD as biggest ship is pretty much this:

1) An ISD has the sensor suite and comm systems to act as FleetCom for everything within a 100LY radius

2) It can torch the surface of a planet after defenses have been dealt with.

3) It can carry enough troops to maintain a garrison on a peaceful planet, and deploy them in days into a permenant garrison.

4) It can deploy a Wing of fighters.

Basically, something with those four factors makes a good 'big ship' coming out of a dark age. And most groups coming out of such wouldn't have the resources or support for anything truly huge.. Yet. Terror weapons, of course, could be made, though they'd take a while.

Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

SirNitram wrote:
Yep. Lots of room for people to come up with groups that finally got it together after the 'dark ages'.
I suppose so. Lots of pesky Boyd carcasses though. But then what would be the dark ages without a plague?
The backstory would suggest an extreme minimist situation, though, as most of the Galaxy has gone to tatters. This also keeps the 'burninate twelve planets all at once' posts to a minimum. I would, however, up the production rate of new keels, so that people aren't afraid to throw ships into the fray.
I'd prefer to see something larger as the upper limit for the rare flagship unit. But an ISD being the upper level of the fleets warships is fine.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
SirNitram wrote:
I suppose so. Lots of pesky Boyd carcasses though. But then what would be the dark ages without a plague?
We found a Grunt, may we burn it?
I'd prefer to see something larger as the upper limit for the rare flagship unit. But an ISD being the upper level of the fleets warships is fine.
I suppose a Flagship can be bigger. I'd want to keep it back from full on SSD scale(Executor, Sovereign, etc) for the immediate, but stuff like Admiral Giel's Battleship would be fine.

Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Doesn't that account for over half the galaxy?
Yes, but the Boyd Collective is an unsettled wasteland as of STGOD Mk1 end. There's plenty of room there for someone to move into and expand. The SKS also had a lot of minority groups, IIRC, besides just humans and youma.
The Spanish forged an Empire in the time, but I believe there culture and language was established well before that.
On the contrary, Spain is an excellent example of a place where culture is very fluid. You have to remember that Spain in 1300 had a shitload of minorities... muslim Berbers, Arabs, and Iberians in the south; Catholic Castillians, Catalonians, Aragonese, Basques, (some) Portuguese. The Castillians themselves were also far from homogenous; Leon, Galicia, and along the northern coast were definitely distinct from proper Castile. By 1600 they had expelled or marginalized most of the Moslem elements, and Aragon and the Northern regions subsumed into the Old Castilian ethos, leaving Spain with the current Castillian-Catalan-Basque cultural trio.

I picked them as an example for just this reason :)

The impression I've gotten of most of the powers is that they certainly would have forced a single language and view of history onto there citizens.
I don't think the SKS would have done so, at least not very forcefully. The UTR certainly wouldn't have.
I agree, but I think I should let you guys hash out how many ships to how many planets. I think that an ISD should represent a "ship of the line" instead of a peak vessel. A battle fleet could break down to something like 60% screen and filler, 30% ISD-equivalents, 10% larger battleships and carriers etc. The ISD would form the muscle of the fleet, but it wouldn't be the peak.
--The Lord Humungus
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

SirNitram wrote:
We found a Grunt, may we burn it?
Throw it in the pile.
I suppose a Flagship can be bigger. I'd want to keep it back from full on SSD scale(Executor, Sovereign, etc) for the immediate, but stuff like Admiral Giel's Battleship would be fine.
Having a very long flagship and command vessel makes sense, since it lets you keep powerful transmitters apart to avoid interference. Giel's ship should be sufficient for that. I'm don't want battleships that size or anything. There'd be a lot of guns, but not with the level of power the volume or even mass would suggest.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

I never really know what to expect when someone says a 'Battleship' compared with an ISD. Are we talking, Pablo, an ISD whose hangars and troop quarters have been replaced with additional reactors and guns, or something Eclipse-like? The former should be fine, the latter is really over the top for what I, myself was aiming for, but I will try to be flexible here in the opening discussion.

Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

SirNitram wrote:I never really know what to expect when someone says a 'Battleship' compared with an ISD. Are we talking, Pablo, an ISD whose hangars and troop quarters have been replaced with additional reactors and guns, or something Eclipse-like? The former should be fine, the latter is really over the top for what I, myself was aiming for, but I will try to be flexible here in the opening discussion.
Definitely not an Eclipse, unless the player who uses it can come up with a very good reason how his military budget can afford such a grossly inefficient weapon in times of economic depression.

I was thinking more on the lines of what you said, an ISD which has been modded to be a straight-up slugger. Or, look through Saxton's website things like the "Allegiance" class cruiser which is basically an ISD enlarged to 2.2 km and kitted out for fleet engagements.
--The Lord Humungus
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
SirNitram wrote:I never really know what to expect when someone says a 'Battleship' compared with an ISD. Are we talking, Pablo, an ISD whose hangars and troop quarters have been replaced with additional reactors and guns, or something Eclipse-like? The former should be fine, the latter is really over the top for what I, myself was aiming for, but I will try to be flexible here in the opening discussion.
Definitely not an Eclipse, unless the player who uses it can come up with a very good reason how his military budget can afford such a grossly inefficient weapon in times of economic depression.

I was thinking more on the lines of what you said, an ISD which has been modded to be a straight-up slugger. Or, look through Saxton's website things like the "Allegiance" class cruiser which is basically an ISD enlarged to 2.2 km and kitted out for fleet engagements.
Ah, I see. Yes, a re-kitted ISD isn't a problem; things like the Allegiance and unnamed Giel's battleship that Young and Saxton have put up analysis of would be more the scale(Though not the full firepower) of a command ship. Or so I had envisioned.

My own thoughts would be to say 'You can have X-number of ISD-equiv hulls. If you want to sacrifice fighter capacity for shields or ground troops for guns or whatever, this can be done'. So you could easily support such BB's by culling them from the ranks of the multirole ships.

Feedback = Good, though.

Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
On the contrary, Spain is an excellent example of a place where culture is very fluid. You have to remember that Spain in 1300 had a shitload of minorities... muslim Berbers, Arabs, and Iberians in the south; Catholic Castillians, Catalonians, Aragonese, Basques, (some) Portuguese. The Castillians themselves were also far from homogenous; Leon, Galicia, and along the northern coast were definitely distinct from proper Castile. By 1600 they had expelled or marginalized most of the Moslem elements, and Aragon and the Northern regions subsumed into the Old Castilian ethos, leaving Spain with the current Castillian-Catalan-Basque cultural trio.

I picked them as an example for just this reason :)
But I dont care about Spainish history, now go back and pick an example I do know about..
I don't think the SKS would have done so, at least not very forcefully. The UTR certainly wouldn't have.
Stupid non-fascists damaging my argument.
I agree, but I think I should let you guys hash out how many ships to how many planets. I think that an ISD should represent a "ship of the line" instead of a peak vessel. A battle fleet could break down to something like 60% screen and filler, 30% ISD-equivalents, 10% larger battleships and carriers etc. The ISD would form the muscle of the fleet, but it wouldn't be the peak.
Fine by me. Anyway my biggest concern is technology rather then cultural history, numbers or firepower, I can live with any decision on those. It's not what my tech's capabilities are, but I have a number of ideas I'd like to use which aren't run of the mill stuff. For example I've thought up an almost realistic way to drive my ships with propellers, paddle wheels and sails. I'm concerned about having it all be invented in a dark age and applied to my fleet, though I suppose only recent ships might use it.
SirNitram wrote:
My own thoughts would be to say 'You can have X-number of ISD-equiv hulls. If you want to sacrifice fighter capacity for shields or ground troops for guns or whatever, this can be done'. So you could easily support such BB's by culling them from the ranks of the multirole ships.
Well if we wanted to have even more fun with math then the limited could be purely volume based, with every ship having a length, width, height and block coefficient. You could have anything from one giant ship to billions of oversized fighters.
Last edited by Sea Skimmer on 2003-11-01 07:07pm, edited 1 time in total.